Disappointed with NGD, time for another SE?

IRG

So last week after what I thought was much deliberation and research, I got a new guitar, a Charvel SoCal Mod San Dimas HSS M HT (no pickguard, HSS pickups from Seymour Duncan), maple neck and a hard tail, no Floyd Rose). It's not a PRS, and you may be wondering why I'm posting it here.

I bought it from SW, as a demo, usually have great luck with their demo's, the last one was a PRS SE Silver Sky that had a blemish on the headstock, which turned out to be the size of a pin head, if that was even it. The Charvel was described as having a scratch on the neck (couldn't find one) and a wavy finish (their picks couldn't capture it). When I got the guitar, under the right light, it is wavy, oddly almost like tape was used in the finish process, you can see lines, even though the finish is all one color. But only when the light hits it. What was not disclosed was a bruise on the side, near where you right arm might be. Not a huge bruise, but it's there, and wasn't mentioned.

Now for the other issues. The 5 way selector doesn't quite work, position 4 seems non existent. But the frets which are jumbo, are the biggest issue. Fret sprout perhaps, I tried filing down the edges which has helped. But when I play, my index finger looked it was about to bleed openly it was raw from the jumbo frets maybe just being too large? Or too sharp, not sure. All I know, I can't play it for very long.

So of course I'm looking for a replacement, something similar. And I'm back looking at the PRS lineup at SW. Here is what I'm thinking about:

The DGT SE - love having dual volume controls, similar to a LP, I like setting the neck a bit lower, and toggle between the two. It sounds like it's close to the Pattern Regular shape, which I've owned formerly in an S2 Custom 24 (should have kept that guitar, dammit). A bit beefier, nice shoulders apparently. The DGT S pickups - tell me more, hot enough for hard rock, metal, but still nice for cleans? While I'm not a metal head, I do tend to gravitate to the more aggressive side of things. Gold top or the burst? I'm having a hard time choosing?

Custom 24 SE - I've owned an S2 and a CE 24 with the 85/15 pickups (felt the S versions were just as good), and I do like these pickups a lot. The CU24 is the classic model, which I tend to own (strat, LP, etc.). The current version has a more sculpted top now? I like the Charcoal color w/natural sides/back/headstock the best.

Custom 24-08 SE - I do like the toggle switch options. Not sure I like the colors available.

Custom 24 Quilt SE - This one is top of the price budget, has a more figured top, and binding on the neck/headstock, which I believe the others don't have. Worth the $? Not sure, probably the regular SE CU24 would be sufficient. But then I think about the DGT SE, and it seems to check all of the boxes.

I found with the Charvel stop tail, for some reason I was really missing the tremolo - I don't dive bomb, but like a little vibrato from time to time. I prefer a single coil tone in the neck, but with gain I need a humbucker in the bridge. Gain comes from pedals, also got an Empress Heavy Menace for dirt, and this pedal rips. $1k max budget. So I think it comes down to the DGT SE vs. CU24SE. Thoughts?

One question for the group. What are the size frets for their SE models? I assume medium jumbo, but I'm not sure I ever see it listed anywhere.

This is a tough choice
I love my 24-08 it has a lot going for it the splits sound good as do the Humbuckers
but I have lately fallen in love with my buddies DGT
Granted his DGT is Top of the line core and my 24-08 is SE
but they are both great guitars and my next guitar will be a DGT

Looks like the DGT SE is getting the love. I will say SW when I emailed them this morning, responded back lightning fast, sent me a return slip for FedEx, and then confirmed that they have found the quality on the DGT SE to be very, very good. So I'm heavily leaning this way now.
Will be a good match with my SS SE. Which btw, i dropped in a SD Little 59 in the bridge position, and I've enjoyed this, a bit more grunt when using gain. But I love the single coil tones in the neck position. Volume differences are almost negligible too, which kind of surprised me.

What are the type of magnets in the DGT SE, alnico V? Something else?

What are the type of magnets in the DGT SE, alnico V? Something else?
I've read A2 for the core pickups but never straight from PRS. Only other sources. There's some mention in threads here too.

I purchased a DGT SE from Sweetwater in February. It sounds and plays great. The neck is a little on the chunky side. The frets are also taller.

I'm not sure I want/like/need tall frets. I used to not feel I was very picky about this stuff. But this recent guitar has me thinking differently.

I'm also having nerve/neck issues, and my left thumb is quite numb right now, not the index finger but it's close to affecting it. PRS doesn't really distinguish between medium jumbo, tall, vintage, etc. do they. I wonder why.

I'm not sure I want/like/need tall frets. I used to not feel I was very picky about this stuff. But this recent guitar has me thinking differently.

I'm also having nerve/neck issues, and my left thumb is quite numb right now, not the index finger but it's close to affecting it. PRS doesn't really distinguish between medium jumbo, tall, vintage, etc. do they. I wonder why.
The taller frets and chunky neck are David Grissom's preference. When I first got the DGT SE I felt the difference in the frets and the neck but I got used to it.

Last edited:
The taller frets and chunky neck are David Grissom's preference. I have arthritis in my hands. When I first got the DGT SE I felt the difference in the frets and the neck but I got used to it.

I'm sure I will adapt too. My S2 CU24 had a pattern regular neck, which I think is very similar to the DGT. A bit thicker. Then I got the CE24, which was thinner for sure. I thought I would prefer that, but found I kinda missed the chunkier neck. Ended up selling both, lol. The SS SE seems like it's more substantial than the pattern thin (or is it wide thin). Again, I'm normally less picky, and can adapt. But these jumbo frets on the Charvel just has me being more selective.

Back