Different strings for different electrics...

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by drawshot, Jan 14, 2017.

1. drawshot

drawshot Just one more...and that's it!

So.....

I discovered something, completely by accident...and I wanted to ask the masses if this is something you've encountered yourselves, or if I'm just making up random stuff in my head.

NYXLs are my string if choice, and love them on my SE ZM and SC594. They just seem to 'make sense' to me. I slapped a set on my SE Bernie...and they were kinda 'meh.'

While goofing off with big bends on the BM, I popped the B string...so I decided today would be clean, buff, shine, and re-string day.

I found a set of Elixr Nanowebs, and figured I'd use them, for fun.

They sound and feel amazing on the Bernie. It's a night and day difference, compared to the NYXLs I had on there (which were not old, by any stretch).

Am I just imagining this, do you think...or is it possible that my Bernie just needs the Elixr brand to be happy?

I welcome your thoughts, opinions, and head-shrink referrals, if it turns out that the collective determination is that I'm nuts.

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  2. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

You're not nuts. Use the strings that you like on each guitar. I probably have 4 different brands on my electrics and I'm less loyal on my acoustics. And I use 5 different gauges of PRS strings.

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Nope, you're not nuts! Just for the record, my Bernie has a set of Nanowebs on it too. They do sound good.

4. CatStrangler

CatStrangler PRS Enthusiast

Even among the same model of guitars I have, each one has its own string gauge preference.

Russ73 likes this.
  5. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Gauges and brands are different on all my guitars as well. I let my ears tell me what`s best. Almost sold my S2 Custom 22 because of the sound. Changed strings and it sings like a canary.

6. mad monk

mad monk Your father's Oldsmobile

I agree on all points.

7. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenf├╝hrer

You may well be nuts, but not on this topic. Strings are as important as pickups, clean connections, and every other little thing that adds up to your particular guitar's tone. I used to have a P245 semi-hollow that just begged for some bog standard Ernie Ball Extra Slinky's -- it just didn't sound right until I changed the strings.

8. Alan Manning

Alan Manning Well Love a Duck Mary Poppins.!!!

That's Handy. I have different makes on different guitars that I think work for me.
    And yes I am Nuts!!!