Difference between prs s2 standard 22 vs prs s2 custom 22?

CKDexterHaven

Is it just the maple cap on the S2 Custom 22, and the pickguard on the S2 Standard 22?

I 'accidentally' played the S2 Standard 22 last week, while shopping for a Telecaster and Jazzmaster. And the S2 stood out significantly, with much better tone, immediately. But, i previously had not been interested in the S2s with pickguards, just for aesthetic reasons. For whatever reason last week, though, i kinda thought that S2 was very nice-looking.

Still, i think i'd prefer the Custom variation, if there are no other significant differences. I didn't get a chance to try an S2 Custom.... While we're at it, what's the difference between the two above, versus the S2 Singlecut?

[Why doesn't the PRS site/page show Neck Radius in the specs?]

First the similarities, all three guitars have a Pattern Regular neck (depth at the nut: 27/32"; fretboard width at body: 2 1/4"; fretboard width at the nut: 1 21/32"), 10" radius fretboard (all PRS have 10" radius unless specified otherwise in their respective spec page) and 25" scale. You're right about the Standard vs non-Standard, Standard have an all mahogany body with pickguard and non-Standard have mahogany body with maple cap (same applies to Singlecut vs Singlecut standard). All have a three piece mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, rolled fretboard edges, core grade fret wire, core nut, and PRS low mass locking tuners which are very similar to the Phase II tuners previously used in core models.

Singlecut and Singleclut standard have a thicker body and core PRS adjustable stoptail (you get the same bridge used in the McCarty, one minor cosmetic difference is that the S2 bridge studs are not nickle plated like the Core ones). The Custom 22 and Standard 22 have SE trems. Pickups are #7 "S" on both Singlecut and 85/15 "S" on the Custom and Standard 22s. Singlecuts are heavier and generally have a more vintage warmer sound. Custom and Standard 22s are a bit more modern sounding. One thing to keep in mind is that there is a tonal difference between the Standard and non-Standard variant of the same guitar. The maple cap brightens the guitar a bit, whereas all mahogany body tend to be a bit more mid focused. Not the best comparison, but it's one of the many factors that contribute to part of the tonal difference between a LP and an SG. I wouldn't say it's it's a night and day difference, but it is noticeable if you're trying to hear for the differences. Not to say they sound vastly different. Chances are that if you like what you heard from the standard, you'll also like what you'll hear from no non-standard variant. Another thing to point out is that the covers on the back of the guitar on the S2 custom 22 and singlecut are not reassessed, however that does not influence tone or comfort in my experience.

First the similarities, all three guitars have a Pattern Regular neck (depth at the nut: 27/32"; fretboard width at body: 2 1/4"; fretboard width at the nut: 1 21/32"), 10" radius fretboard (all PRS have 10" radius unless specified otherwise in their respective spec page) and 25" scale. You're right about the Standard vs non-Standard, Standard have an all mahogany body with pickguard and non-Standard have mahogany body with maple cap (same applies to Singlecut vs Singlecut standard). All have a three piece mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, rolled fretboard edges, core grade fret wire, core nut, and PRS low mass locking tuners which are very similar to the Phase II tuners previously used in core models.

Singlecut and Singleclut standard have a thicker body and core PRS adjustable stoptail (you get the same bridge used in the McCarty, one minor cosmetic difference is that the S2 bridge studs are not nickle plated like the Core ones). The Custom 22 and Standard 22 have SE trems. Pickups are #7 "S" on both Singlecut and 85/15 "S" on the Custom and Standard 22s. Singlecuts are heavier and generally have a more vintage warmer sound. Custom and Standard 22s are a bit more modern sounding. One thing to keep in mind is that there is a tonal difference between the Standard and non-Standard variant of the same guitar. The maple cap brightens the guitar a bit, whereas all mahogany body tend to be a bit more mid focused. Not the best comparison, but it's one of the many factors that contribute to part of the tonal difference between a LP and an SG. I wouldn't say it's it's a night and day difference, but it is noticeable if you're trying to hear for the differences. Not to say they sound vastly different. Chances are that if you like what you heard from the standard, you'll also like what you'll hear from no non-standard variant. Another thing to point out is that the covers on the back of the guitar on the S2 custom 22 and singlecut are not reassessed, however that does not influence tone or comfort in my experience.
Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. I had just read someone else's comment about the Maple Cap 'brightness' difference, but i really appreciate your analogy of LP vs SG, and the modern/vintage Custom/Standard vs Singlecut. Very cool.

Just to clarify, the "three pieces" that you refer to are; a scarf joint headstock, a glued on heel, but the neck itself is one piece, compared to the actual three piece neck on the SEs. ;)

Yes, that is correct and very important to point out. The other thing that I forgot to mention is that S2's are built in Maryland and they are, I believe the technical term is, absolutely awesome guitars. ;)

Back