Did Boveda change the formula?

Tucson Thump

Mint Heavy Relic
I've used the Boveda 49% humidity packs for a long time. Planet Waves branded first, then D'Addario branded, then for the last few years Boveda branded.

The packs were always consistent out of the bag, feeling like they were filled with water, and as they aged they would feel like they had jelly in them and eventually like little hard pellets.

I bought two new Boveda multi packs from Amazon to put in my acoustic guitar cases. They are now individually wrapped in cellophane. But right out of the packing they have the jelly consistency, not liquid like water.

Has Boveda changed the formula or were the packages from Amazon already drying out?

Thx

I bought a 20 pack of Boveda packs (my second buy now) from Amazon not long ago that felt good 'n' wet 'n' sloppy. I suspect you got some old stock that's dried out some.

All of my Boveda packs felt like very soft jelly. I just use my hygrometer to make sure the humidity is correct.

I'm sending these back to Amazon to be replaced. Mine have always been "liquidy" too; that's why I was asking if there had been a change.

As a comparison I just ordered the D'Addario ones from Amazon too. Yes, I know they are Boveda but this way I can compare since they may have arrived at Amazon at a different time. And after all, it isn't like I won't be using them ..... we're in for hot and dry as of today.

Thanks all for your answers.

Back