Dark Side Of The Moon/Total Eclipse Of The Sun

Starting soon. Clear sky but we only get 36% occlusion here in CA. Worth a quick peek though.
Ours starts at 3:00 EST. 80% coverage here in NC. I have my welding helmet glass at the ready.

That pic of the moon over the earth at 5:48 has been debunked as a total fake pic. The only people that believe it collect star wars figurines and sleep with a lifesize doll of chewbacca.
LOL...and all of the serious scientists in the world. In case you haven't noticed, the entire flat Earth topic has been debunked ad nauseum.

My favourite part of the video was when the flat-earther admitted that the math worked, but chuckled at the mere mention of math and appealed to common sense to buttress his argument. Fascinating stuff. When ya wanna believe, ya wanna believe I guess.

Enjoy the eclipse. I am watching several feeds from different locations around the world. Amazing what you can learn from that.

I wear the insult as a badge of honour. I have a great deal of confidence in my position on this one. ;)

The real irony is flat-earthers view people who believe the heliocentric model to be the ignorant ones.
My brother said it best I think: " I trust in two people: me and thee. And I constantly worry about thee."🤣

Have you even watched any of the videos posted here. You might learn a little something if you put in some effort.
what we're all trying to figure out is, who writes your material? Do you have a team of writers, like Johnny Carson? Just a few?

You should change your sig to "I'll be here all week. And don't forget to tip your waiters."

I wear the insult as a badge of honour. I have a great deal of confidence in my position on this one. ;)

The real irony is flat-earthers view people who believe the heliocentric model to be the ignorant ones.
I'm not a flat earther, I'm a 21st Century Intellectual. If you don't know who they are then you're not one!

In other words... size matters. :eek::p;)
Pro Tip: since we're talking about shadows, the size can be manipulated, you know. If we could just move that moon closer to the sun, it could shadow the whole earth!

You can try this at home tonight... with whatever you want to make a shadow with. :eek:

To topic: I just went out for the first "view" and it's about 20% covered here.

There is a local radio station hosting a big party at one of the parks in Cincinnati, and they said this morning that they were going to both broadcast, and play at that big event, the whole album Dark Side Of The Moon to coincide with the eclipse.

Pro Tip: since we're talking about shadows, the size can be manipulated, you know. If we could just move that moon closer to the sun, it could shadow the whole earth!

You can try this at home tonight... with whatever you want to make a shadow with. :eek:

Just make sure that you use a flat plate for the experiment, because flat things make the best shadows. Now I didn't check on the science behind that, but it seems like common sense. :rolleyes:

Not even close to seeing totality in person, but way easier than flying across the country!

Screenshot-2024-04-08-at-11-46-29-AM.png

IMO- A whole lotta’ nothing. We had pretty decent coverage here in the Detroit area. But it’s not my first eclipse rodeo. Didn’t even really look at it. I guess I’m an old “stick in the mud”. Now git’ off my lawn!!!

Hence the annular versus total eclipse - sometimes the moon isn’t the right distance to completely block the sun.

It was too cloudy to get a good viewing here. It just got dark early because the light stopped making it to the cloud. I did see the 2017 one on a clear day.

Last edited:
Just make sure that you use a flat plate for the experiment, because flat things make the best shadows. Now I didn't check on the science behind that, but it seems like common sense. :rolleyes:
Well, it depends on which way you turn the flat things. With round things, it doesn't matter which way you turn them, they cast the same shadow. (Dropped some higher level science on you boys there, didn't I?)

we got very close, but there was always just a tiny sliver of the sun still showing. Interesting how bright it still was outside with just a tiny portion of the sun showing, it still lit everything better than when there was cloud cover a couple days ago.

we got very close, but there was always just a tiny sliver of the sun still showing. Interesting how bright it still was outside with just a tiny portion of the sun showing, it still lit everything better than when there was cloud cover a couple days ago.
It doesn’t take much sun to make it bright. You can see everything clearly quite a while before the sun breaches the horizon.

Last edited:
Just a tiny fraction short of totality makes a huge difference.

Here's my brother's view of totality in Centralia, IL:

image000001.jpg

Almost!

The moon's diameter is 2159 miles and the path of totality was only 115 miles wide so if the moon were very close to the earth the eclipse could cover most of the continental US. If it was a little further from Earth, around 15,000 miles further, then no more total eclipses, only annular eclipses like @veinbuster mentioned.

If the moon were way closer to the sun, then it would be like a transit of Venus or Mercury (where one is directly between the Earth & the sun) when each planet looks like a small or tiny dot (shown below respectively) on the surface of the sun.
Screenshot-2024-04-08-at-1-24-13-PM.png

Screenshot-2024-04-08-at-1-37-55-PM.png

Last edited:
Back