Dark Side Of The Moon/Total Eclipse Of The Sun

94% in the Chicago area. Not a cloud in the sky. Definitely got less bright. I would compare it to having sun glasses on when you walk into a lit room. Did the pin hole method, and the neighbor was nice enough to let my wife borrow their eclipse glasses for a look.

94% in the Chicago area. Not a cloud in the sky. Definitely got less bright. I would compare it to having sun glasses on when you walk into a lit room. Did the pin hole method, and the neighbor was nice enough to let my wife borrow their eclipse glasses for a look.

I went visual and found this haha.

No, for real though. I saw it bro. Got them special glasses just so I could see what was really happening.
So you didn't identify the moon before or after the sun went dark? It could have been a giant stage with Dream Theatre floating in the sky? and blocking out the sun. Just kidding, people were cheering so it couldn't be Dream Theatre.

Back from Mégantic QC at the observatory and it was stellar. 3:29 minutes with 100% of the sun gone. Not a single cloud. It didn't get real dark, mostly because we could see to the West, where the sun was shining. That made it even stranger. Temps dropped by about 10°. There was 2,498 other people around us. I then realized I should have stayed close to home and see it in total silence, just the two of us. We only would have had to drive 15 minutes South to get to the 100% line. Instead we drove to a parking lot 45 minutes away, hopped on a school bus (I remember why I hated school) for an hour and a half drive, all for $75 each. Same awful bus ride to return. Gone 8 hours ...

What amazed me the most, was that we could see sun flares. I didn't bother taking photos, I enjoyed the moment. I knew I would find a zillion photos better than anything I could take. Here's one that pretty much shows what we saw.

untitled-1-jpg.536090

Northeast Ohio had surprisingly clear skies, so an outstanding view. This was the first time I've seen a total solar eclipse. Some very close, but nothing like that before. And it was all kinds of groovy.

I don't understand why several neighbors decided to light firecrackers and shoot guns during the eclipse, though.

By the way, a few days ago a Cleveland weather reporter pointed at the predictions for the 9th on and said, "See, folks? The world will continue."

Back