Dark Side Of The Moon/Total Eclipse Of The Sun

If I put a bright spotlight directly in your eyes, you may not be able to identify a basketball as I move it towards and in front of the spotlight, because of the intensity of the light. The basketball may only appear as a shadow. but I can still take that basketball and bounce it, or pull it over far enough to the side that you see the orange and recognize what it is. But with intense light behind it and it in proximity, it may only appear as a dark spot that's blocking the light from your field of vision.
No I'm not going in a dark room to play with balls. That's for the 18th century Genies.

I'm looking forward to this, as I'm in the path of totality. But a bit concerned as historically there's about a 40% chance the skies will be clear that day.

I also volunteer with a humanitarian/disaster recovery organization, and we've been doing a lot of planning to maintain operations with so many people coming to the area, especially if something goes awry.

I'm looking forward to this, as I'm in the path of totality. But a bit concerned as historically there's about a 40% chance the skies will be clear that day.

I also volunteer with a humanitarian/disaster recovery organization, and we've been doing a lot of planning to maintain operations with so many people coming to the area, especially if something goes awry.
What do you think might happen?

What do you think might happen?

Some goof might run around saying it's all a ruse, and the crowd would turn on him and make him watch it without eye protection.

To give a serious answer, the most likely events are home fires, as they're a daily occurrence about everywhere. But with hotels fully booked, people who have lost their homes will still need a place to stay. Other issues are getting people and resources where needed through heavy traffic, maintaining communications if cell towers become overtaxed, and being prepared in case something unexpected happens.

I’m not far southeast of the path, about 50 miles south of Houston. I’m not sure what we’ll see here, but I’ve no plans on traveling. I’m in the process of having my broken, old AC system replaced with a new heat pump setup, and the only thing falling into shadow here is my bank balance!

I’m not far southeast of the path, about 50 miles south of Houston. I’m not sure what we’ll see here, but I’ve no plans on traveling. I’m in the process of having my broken, old AC system replaced with a new heat pump setup, and the only thing falling into shadow here is my bank balance!
I feel ya, Rick. We had to replace our furnace the first week of December. Lucky that it wasn't a typical Chicago December. It was in the 50s that week.

temp-Image-OTz-MIS.avif

Have been fortunate to experience two total eclipses, both in Oregon: in Feb '79 when it was fully overcast and then clear on Aug '17.

Overcast is meh. A total eclipse in clear conditions is like no other lighting condition I'd ever seen and was so glad that I flew up from CA with my son to pick up our daughter in Seattle to see it, even with the 6-7 hour drive back to Seattle afterwards.

Back