Dang! HDRX 20 news....

Tumnus! My favorite overdrive through an Archon, and I know you have one of those too.
I had both Tumnis pedals.

When I set the knobs to 12 O'clock on both the Klon KTR and the Tumnis the Tumnis did not sound like a Klon.

But I could make it sound a lot more like a real Klon if i adjusted the knobs on the Tumnis.

People compare these to a real Klon and do it with knobs at the 12 O'clock position as if that means something.

Because of +/- tolerances and builder preferences, they'll sound different from a real Klon if you do that.

I still prefer the Klon KTR and Rockett Jeff though. They sound identical to me.

The Jeff from J Rockett is the Klone to get.
I love Klons for certain types of guitar and amp combinations, but like anything else, they have their applications and limitations.

This post isn't to say the Klons, the Klones, etc, aren't great. They are. I got a KTR for my son a few years ago as a birthday present, and he uses it in every show.

Here's the application that, for me, works best with the Klon: I find they work best with single coil pickups and Fender style amps (I realize you use yours with the HDRX and your Bernies, showing once again how different we all are).

I've felt this way since they were available new, and was a Fulldrive user instead of a Klon user for a long time after trying both. The Fulldrive worked for me with 'buckers. Granted, they're very different pedals and they do very different things.

But that's good, and not bad, because there are different applications for everything. I feel we need to temper our advice considering how different everyone's personal rigs can be, not to mention personal tastes. There isn't a pedal on the planet that works equally well for every amp and guitar. Or for that matter, every player, to say the least!

Since my son is a Fender player and endorser, I got him a KTR.

Nonetheless, for me it really is "Horsies for coursies." ;)

I found a few pedals that give me low gain dirt without sounding like Klons. I'm not going to tout them, because my tastes and style aren't shared by everyone.

I love Klons for certain types of guitar and amp combinations, but like anything else, they have their applications and limitations.

This post isn't to say the Klons, the Klones, etc, aren't great. They are. I got a KTR for my son a few years ago as a birthday present, and he uses it in every show.

Here's the application that, for me, works best with the Klon: I find they work best with single coil pickups and Fender style amps (I realize you use yours with the HDRX and your Bernies, showing once again how different we all are).

I've felt this way since they were available new, and was a Fulldrive user instead of a Klon user for a long time after trying both. The Fulldrive worked for me with 'buckers. Granted, they're very different pedals and they do very different things.

But that's good, and not bad, because there are different applications for everything. I feel we need to temper our advice considering how different everyone's personal rigs can be, not to mention personal tastes. There isn't a pedal on the planet that works equally well for every amp and guitar.

I found a few pedals that give me low gain dirt without sounding like Klons. I'm not going to tout them, because my tastes and style aren't shared by everyone.
I use it with Strats and Silver Skys too. Finnigan says he created it to make a Strat sound more like a Les Paul.

Before I got the HDRX 20 I used it with my Deluxe Reverb and modified Princeton Reverb. The PR has a 12" Celestion...not a 10" speaker.

Last gig I did (a blues jam at a pizza joint here in town) I brought my Princeton Reverb, my Partsocaster Strat made from Mark Jenny parts, and a KTR.

EZ PZ.

Last edited:
Finnigan says he created it to make a Strat sound more like a Les Paul.
Yes, so the initial plan was simply to add more mids and output to SC's to make the strat sound like humbuckers. Over the years, many HB players used them as well because adding more mids makes things more better. :) I've gravitated to other pedals too add more mids for hum and singles. Barber Gain Changer can add two different mid boost ranges, and two different gain ranges from very low gain to upper mid. Many users have said that unless you use some gain on a Klon, the Gain Changer can sound just like it. With gain, they sound a bit different as the clipping is smoother on the Barber.

The point you made about pots is true of all pedals. In fact, at one point, Barber said that he used less than 40% of the pots he bought because he required them to be within a certain spec and when you buy them, they can vary by 20% and even more. At one point, 4 of the guys from a former forum all had identical pedals and compared them at our of our get togethers. Two were close to identical. One had a gain knob that required about 1 clock hour lower setting to match the gain of the others, and one had a volume pot that required literally 2 clock hours higher setting to match the level of the others BUT... if we twisted the knobs, we could make them identical, but varying pot values made you have to turn some knobs to match them up.

Yes, so the initial plan was simply to add more mids and output to SC's to make the strat sound like humbuckers. Over the years, many HB players used them as well because adding more mids makes things more better. :) I've gravitated to other pedals too add more mids for hum and singles. Barber Gain Changer can add two different mid boost ranges, and two different gain ranges from very low gain to upper mid. Many users have said that unless you use some gain on a Klon, the Gain Changer can sound just like it. With gain, they sound a bit different as the clipping is smoother on the Barber.

The point you made about pots is true of all pedals. In fact, at one point, Barber said that he used less than 40% of the pots he bought because he required them to be within a certain spec and when you buy them, they can vary by 20% and even more. At one point, 4 of the guys from a former forum all had identical pedals and compared them at our of our get togethers. Two were close to identical. One had a gain knob that required about 1 clock hour lower setting to match the gain of the others, and one had a volume pot that required literally 2 clock hours higher setting to match the level of the others BUT... if we twisted the knobs, we could make them identical, but varying pot values made you have to turn some knobs to match them up.
Yup. I could make my Wampler Tumnus sound a lot more like my Klon KTR but only with different settings on each.

Setting them both with everything at 12 O'Clock achieved nothing. They sounded very different and to me, not very good.

The point you made about pots is true of all pedals.
And all audio gear. Different pots in amplifiers, too, because tolerances mean that some will noticeably differ.

I may go beyond the little pots on pedals, it could also be other components.

There are nonlinearities resulting in different sounds between channels in $400,000 consoles, for example. And two of the same model of mic can sound a bit different.

I think, however, that these nonlinearities are a good thing - they keep audio from sounding too sterile. It all winds up being ear candy.

I had both Tumnis pedals.

When I set the knobs to 12 O'clock on both the Klon KTR and the Tumnis the Tumnis did not sound like a Klon.

But I could make it sound a lot more like a real Klon if i adjusted the knobs on the Tumnis.

People compare these to a real Klon and do it with knobs at the 12 O'clock position as if that means something.

Because of +/- tolerances and builder preferences, they'll sound different from a real Klon if you do that.

I still prefer the Klon KTR and Rockett Jeff though. They sound identical to me.

But that's good, and not bad, because there are different applications for everything. I feel we need to temper our advice considering how different everyone's personal rigs can be, not to mention personal tastes. There isn't a pedal on the planet that works equally well for every amp and guitar. Or for that matter, every player, to say the least!

I haven't owned other klones besides both Tumnus pedals. I strongly prefer the mini over the deluxe for high gain tones. I'm not too worried about how authentic of a klone the Tumnus is. All I know is I love how it sounds.

Custom 24 into a Unit67 into a Tumnus into an Archon is a beautiful tone. All I can do is follow my ears, and that's what my ears like. I have a prince of tone and a tube screamer (among other overdrives) and the Tumnus beat them all with my rig.

Oh, and the eq section in the Unit67 sounds like it was voiced for prs guitars. They sound SO good together and I really struggle to replicate that effect with other guitars. I learned about the Unit67 on this forum and it lives up to the hype.

I haven't owned other klones besides both Tumnus pedals. I strongly prefer the mini over the deluxe for high gain tones.
Different world, no doubt. I don't play around with high gain. It's dangerous!

"Tell me about it! Spend 100 years playing high gain music, and pretty soon you're dead."
I'm not too worried about how authentic of a klone the Tumnus is. All I know is I love how it sounds.
This makes complete sense to me.

Back