Good thing I have two...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Because last night one of my HDRX 20 heads just went silent and won't light up again.

Checked the fuse. It's fine.

Tried plugging it directly to the wall, etc., etc.

No lights. No sound. Just a good boat anchor at the moment.

It's less than 6 months old.

Going to return it to Starr's Guitars in Cedaredge, CO and see how David wants to handle it.

Might be the on/off switch although the switch was on when the amp just stopped working.

Dang! I love this amp. First time it's let me down.

Would be a real drag to have this happen on a gig...and I have one next week!

That's a bummer. Good thing you didn't cave in to DreamTheaterRules trying to convince you to sell it to him. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.
My brother could fix it in a heartbeat. He owns Mission Amps in Denver and has always repaired my amps.

But we're now 4 hours from each other.

I'm sure Starr's Guitars will know someone who can take a look at it.

Hoping a warranty will cover it. Just bought it this year.

Doesn't light up at all though. That's strange with the fuse testing good.

Based on the gut shot in this thread, it looks like there are two fuses inside the amp on the circuit board.

The reason I looked is that my HXDA once had an internal fuse go, I was unaware that my amp even had them. It wouldn't turn on, as one would expect. PRS took care of it and replaced the output tubes at the same time.

Might want to check those fuses and if it's a fuse, replace your output tubes as a precaution.

Based on the gut shot in this thread, it looks like there are two fuses inside the amp on the circuit board.

The reason I looked is that my HXDA once had an internal fuse go, I was unaware that my amp even had them. It wouldn't turn on, as one would expect. PRS took care of it and replaced the output tubes at the same time.

Might want to check those fuses and if it's a fuse, replace your output tubes as a precaution.
Beat me to it. I recalled your previous post and was going to ask the same thing.

That's a bummer. Good thing you didn't cave in to DreamTheaterRules trying to convince you to sell it to him. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.
Hey, whose side are you on here! :D

This in fact is probably a bad juju that comes from things like hoarding things your brothers need instead of hooking them up and sharing the love. I’m sorry if this is true. I tried to do my part!

Seriously, hope it’s simple/easy/one time issue and gets resolved quickly!

Going to pack it up today and ship it to my brother in Denver. He'll fix it then bring it back out to me in October.

I did some tests, as per my brother's instructions, and since it uses a solid state rectifier (not a tube rectifier) he thinks it blew a diode in the power supply and now it's blowing fuses.

It is a great sounding amp and I'm glad I do have the second one because I'm playing this weekend. Saturday night at the Boardwalk in Crawford.

Might keep it simple though and just bring a Klon and my Deluxe Reverb.

Last edited:
Did you open it up? This is often visible, and an easy fix if that's all it is.
No. Didn't remove the chassis from the cab. If something's burned I don't have replacement parts to fix it.

If it's blowing fuses a grid load resistor is fried or a diode in the power supply is burned or something....

Since I don't have parts to fix it I'll just send the amp to my brother.

He's a genius.

And I do have a spare amp.

Last edited:
Because last night one of my HDRX 20 heads just went silent and won't light up again.

Checked the fuse. It's fine.

Tried plugging it directly to the wall, etc., etc.

No lights. No sound. Just a good boat anchor at the moment.

It's less than 6 months old.

Going to return it to Starr's Guitars in Cedaredge, CO and see how David wants to handle it.

Might be the on/off switch although the switch was on when the amp just stopped working.

Dang! I love this amp. First time it's let me down.

Would be a real drag to have this happen on a gig...and I have one next week!

I just a brought a brand new one of those home with me about 10 minutes ago.

Last edited:
I just a brought a brand new one of those with me about 10 minutes ago.
Cool. It's a great amp.

Very pedal friendly. I use J Rockett "Jeff Beck" model Klon clones, a Halo delay and a Hall of Fame 2 reverb.

One word of advice is to mix the bright treble channel and bass channel together to get a balance that's not too bright.

The tone controls work fine of course and you'll use them too but being able to blend the two channels is an old Marshall trick that everyone used to use.

The tone controls work fine of course and you'll use them too but being able to blend the two channels is an old Marshall trick that everyone used to use.
It's something I do with the HXDA as well, since it has the two blend-able channels; you don't need a jumper like with the old 4-hole Marshalls.

These PRS models are designed to make that trick a lot simpler; it was a point Paul R. Smith discussed in a couple of the HXDA demo videos. It might also have been a feature in the 25th Anniversary amps.

Back