Hdrx 20 issues

JBK2197

First post here on the forum and I wish it was a more positive one. I've had my Hdrx 20 head since November, picked up the day before Thanksgiving to be exact. All has been OK until Monday night I'm playing as normal and it starts popping and I look in and the v4 tube Is glowing bright red. Turned it off immediately, pulled the chassis out and all looks good underneath try it again and v4 is not only microphonic it has a horrible his when tapped on. I took it to my go to shop where it was purchased from, we tested the tubes all checked out perfect on the tester. Its going back to the factory for them to investigate what's wrong. It a great sounding sturdy little amp but after two months I'm extremely disappointed with this, I hope it's an easy fix but I'm looking into other replacements for when my funds allow.

First post here on the forum and I wish it was a more positive one. I've had my Hdrx 20 head since November, picked up the day before Thanksgiving to be exact. All has been OK until Monday night I'm playing as normal and it starts popping and I look in and the v4 tube Is glowing bright red. Turned it off immediately, pulled the chassis out and all looks good underneath try it again and v4 is not only microphonic it has a horrible his when tapped on. I took it to my go to shop where it was purchased from, we tested the tubes all checked out perfect on the tester. Its going back to the factory for them to investigate what's wrong. It a great sounding sturdy little amp but after two months I'm extremely disappointed with this, I hope it's an easy fix but I'm looking into other replacements for when my funds allow.
Tubes do that when they go bad, exactly as you describe. Once a tube goes that way, it’ll continue to act up intermittently, so the standard thing is to just replace it. I’m surprised the shop didn’t just replace the tube and send you on your way, even if it wasn’t doing it when they checked the tube.

Let us know if they find something different, but I’ll be surprised if it’s more than a bad tube.

Tubes do that when they go bad, exactly as you describe. Once a tube goes that way, it’ll continue to act up intermittently, so the standard thing is to just replace it. I’m surprised the shop didn’t just replace the tube and send you on your way, even if it wasn’t doing it when they checked the tube.

Let us know if they find something different, but I’ll be surprised if it’s more than a bad
We tried another 6l6. No difference

We tried another 6l6. No difference
When one tube goes, it usually damages the other in a pair, even if you don’t see sparks or “red-plating” in it. Regardless, it’s good PRS is going to take a look at it. Whatever it is, they’ll find it, and we’ll all learn a little! There are so many possibilities.

Let us know if they find something different, but I’ll be surprised if it’s more than a bad tube.
Exactly this.

I guess sign up, complain and leave is an option as well…
It's the internet equivalent of taking a dump. Kerflush-gurgle-urgle-urgle-sploosh!

"Shouldn't that be more like 'leaving a dump', since you're not gonna take it anywhere afterward?"

"A very good question! One wonders how such an expression arose.

But it's very similar to 'taking a meeting', which is the business equivalent of taking a dump, so maybe that's why?

Last edited:
Welp, either way I went ahead and ordered one with the matching 1x12 cab. I'll do a more detailed NAD post soon, but I'll tell you all this - I haven't been so excited about an amp in many years. I find myself switching it on for a few mins here and there throughout the day just to get a few licks in. I'm fortunate to work from home most of the time (for now), which is dangerous with this sitting behind me when I'm at my desk.

No technical issues with it so far...

Welp, either way I went ahead and ordered one with the matching 1x12 cab. I'll do a more detailed NAD post soon, but I'll tell you all this - I haven't been so excited about an amp in many years. I find myself switching it on for a few mins here and there throughout the day just to get a few licks in. I'm fortunate to work from home most of the time (for now), which is dangerous with this sitting behind me when I'm at my desk.

No technical issues with it so far...
Nice!

Back