Damn - what happened here?

Proxmax

found this at another PRS forum:

5708_1.jpg

Link?

What's the story there? Looks like the back was repainted - check the overspray from the tape line and the lumpy finish where the "scraped" biding meets the black body.

Maybe it was in the Nashville flood???

Can we get the owner to post some more pics and tell the story?

Last edited:
Excess heat caused that top to split. The guitar could have been left in a hot car or it could have split from the heat of a heat gun during a refin. The top on my CE-22 started to separate when I refinished it. I used a heat gun to remove the old finish and notice the top beginning to separate and removed the heat immediately. Luckily, mine went back to normal and I injected some Titebond just to be safe.

Last edited:
The guitar has NOT been refinished.

The owner of the guitar lives in Hong Kong and owns a fantastic collection of highly desirable PRS, including a NAMM Metal.

I asked if it had seen extremes in humidity but as far as I know it hasn't.

The owner, Ernest, is the original owner and has posted the email reciept for the purchase of the guitar. The guitar was bought from Sweetwater and therefore should carry the official lifetime warranty.

He has been quoted $1200 plus shipping to have it repaired....bad form IMHO.

Let me post before the drama gets out of control.

Many people are trying to make an assessment on a guitar they've never held, but have seen a single photo of. We've built over 200,000 guitars in the past 27 years and I haven't seen this before. Considering our track record, I believe some outside environmental influences are at play, but then again, I haven't had the opportunity to evaluate the guitar in the flesh. Once the guitar has been evaluated, we'll do the right thing.

Let me post before the drama gets out of control.

Many people are trying to make an assessment on a guitar they've never held, but have seen a single photo of. We've built over 200,000 guitars in the past 27 years and I haven't seen this before. Considering our track record, I believe some outside environmental influences are at play, but then again, I haven't had the opportunity to evaluate the guitar in the flesh. Once the guitar has been evaluated, we'll do the right thing.

As you guys always do!........Can you fix mine???? LOL

IMG_2341.jpg

Back