Damn birds

Juan Luis Vidal

Not so new member
One of the side effects of becoming a PRS adept is that you really get used to the damn birds as a guide for moving across the fret board. Like a lot. They are so easy to spot, you never loose track of where you are or where you need to jump. The downside: now I have some problems with some of my older guitars that use the traditional small circled dot inlays...specially my Ibanez. They don't have have the inlays centered but just above the A string, so sometimes I fret the wrong note when playing higher up the fretboard. I simply find myself lost depending on how well muscle memory knows the movements, light conditions...and It had never happened to me before owning my PRSs. I find myself constantly missing the birds…

Am I the only ornithologist around?

I am generally looking at the side markers and not the fret board markers, so it does not affect me! What I will suggest is that you sell all the guitars that do not have birds, and acquire guitars with moon fret board markers to replace them. At least then, you will be in the same family (the birds and moons family) ;~))

Every one of my PRS guitars have birds on them. Once I pick it up to play it, I never see the birds again until I put it down. I am not sure how people play while contorting themselves to look at the front of the fretboard. That has to create some stiff neck situations. I navigate by the side dots. It is still a requirement for me that any PRS guitar I would buy must have birds though. That way I get to see them when I look at my guitars and the people watching me play get to see them. :)

Side dot guy here. I'm one that likes variety on my fretboard and bird free is welcome here. I was looking the other day and every single one of my PRS have different inlays.. from differnet birds, to dots, to moons, and even no inlays. Variety is the spice of life.

I don't look at the neck or fretboard while I play. Not that it's any better or worse either way, I just don't do it.

I also don't see the back of the guitar, and only see the front of the thing when taking it out of the case. I see the rims of the guitar if I look down and that's about it. Which means I look at the decor for only a few seconds.

Why I pay extra for the fancy stuff I have no idea, it's kind of wasted on me by Day Two.

Every one of my PRS guitars have birds on them. Once I pick it up to play it, I never see the birds again until I put it down. I am not sure how people play while contorting themselves to look at the front of the fretboard. That has to create some stiff neck situations. I navigate by the side dots. It is still a requirement for me that any PRS guitar I would buy must have birds though. That way I get to see them when I look at my guitars and the people watching me play get to see them. :)

When playing live, standing, I just rely on the good old side markers if I need to look at the fretboard. But I have found myself lately more than ever practicing exercises sitting in front my computer, where I'm constantly looking at the notes / frets and that's the moment where somehow I do follow the inlays instead of side markers. And I'm pretty sure that's something that did not happen before...

I'm usually staring at charts,
but I have really good peripheral vision.

No photo description available.

Last edited:
I’ll throw in my two birds here. The bird inlays are what attracted me to PRS guitars. Paul’s mom was into bird watching like my wife and daughter.
When I’m playing I don’t even notice the FB inlays but do pay attention to the side dots.

Back