Damaged V12 Finish - Wall Hangers

JRod4928

Will the rubber used on typical guitar wall hangers damage the V12 finish on my PRS Custom 24 (2013)?

I've read that there are issues with Nitro finishes, but not Poly. If I recall, the V12 is a thin poly finish.... It's probably OK, but I just wanted to make sure.

I built a stained pallet board accent wall and I'm going to showcase my PRS in it, but I don't want it to be damaged while it's on display.

IIRC the V12 is a mixture of poly and nitro. I think there's risk to using foams. Let's see what Shawn says.

I’ve never had any problems with Hercules wall hangers

F05_DB82_A-1_CCA-4_D9_F-87_CE-_B9_C82_C231_B39.jpg

V12 is not a nitro finish. PRS has always messed with the formula for their finish which is a mixture of acrylic urethane and poly. V12 was the newest version of that finish when it came out. It's thin like nitro, but doesn't react or weather check. PRS has since moved on from V12 and has a newer mixture for their finishes...they just haven't named it anything specific.

V12 is not a nitro finish. PRS has always messed with the formula for their finish which is a mixture of acrylic urethane and poly. V12 was the newest version of that finish when it came out. It's thin like nitro, but doesn't react or weather check. PRS has since moved on from V12 and has a newer mixture for their finishes...they just haven't named it anything specific.

Yeah, what he said.

You're good to go. Would love to see pics.

I’ve never had any problems with Hercules wall hangers

F05_DB82_A-1_CCA-4_D9_F-87_CE-_B9_C82_C231_B39.jpg

This^^^

I have a row of Hercules hangers with PRS guitars on them just like that. No problems... at least none that a Swiffer duster once in a while can't solve.

hmmmmm... I think a couple of those guitars would look better on my wall. ;)

Hercules hangers are OK.

I use Xena: Warrior Princess cases instead; more nurturing.

I know a LOT of people store their guitars in cases but I stopped using guitar cases to store guitars after this one particular guitar I had bought brand new had spent about a year in there and came out with rust pitting on the gold hardware. Now I keep them where I can see them on a daily basis. It also avoids situations like that which Alex Skolnick went through recently... he had guitars stolen out of a storage unit and had no idea they were gone until 6 months later the police returned them to him.

I know a LOT of people store their guitars in cases but I stopped using guitar cases to store guitars after this one particular guitar I had bought brand new had spent about a year in there and came out with rust pitting on the gold hardware. Now I keep them where I can see them on a daily basis. It also avoids situations like that which Alex Skolnick went through recently... he had guitars stolen out of a storage unit and had no idea they were gone until 6 months later the police returned them to him.

I was just looking for a joke around the Hercules/Xena thing. Call it attempted humor.

On the other hand, you’re saying that Skolnick’s guitars were stolen, but not the cases? That’s kinda weird isn’t it? I guess maybe the cases had his name on them or something.

I was just looking for a joke around the Hercules/Xena thing. Call it attempted humor.

On the other hand, you’re saying that Skolnick’s guitars were stolen, but not the cases? That’s kinda weird isn’t it? I guess maybe the cases had his name on them or something.

I'm sure they were in cases. The one that tipped off a guitar aficionado who suspected something was wrong saw an ad where Skolnick's signature model prototype Heritage guitar was being offered for sale by someone other than Alex. He called the cops, they did their detective work and discovered a truckload of stolen stuff which in turn led to the happy reunion for all of Alex's stolen stuff.

I'm sure they were in cases. The one that tipped off a guitar aficionado who suspected something was wrong saw an ad where Skolnick's signature model prototype Heritage guitar was being offered for sale by someone other than Alex. He called the cops, they did their detective work and discovered a truckload of stolen stuff which in turn led to the happy reunion for all of Alex's stolen stuff.

Good that someone was on the ball, and helped him get his stuff back!

Back