Damaged my buddy's 513 finish

Riplead

This has me really bummed. He's cool about it, but I feel terrible. I masked off the frets with blue painters tape and polished them. When I removed the tape some of the clear finish came off of the neck. I'm wondering how this would best be fixed. Does the entire neck need to be re-sprayed?
Thanks in advance,
John

PRS-513-Neck.jpg

PRS-513.jpg

My take is, there was something wrong with the finish prior to the application of a painters tape! If you truly did use your standard painters tape, that would not have ripped the finish off like that!! Now if thee finish in those spots was already loose, bubbled perhaps but not real visible, then yes, the painters tap could pull it off Not sure what you can do here, but I do not think it was your fault.

I will have to say as a 15 collision repair technician who has sprayed clear-coat once or twice il say this …. Prs clear sucks, i have 1 of 8 left because they just cant hold up. Also if the date is from around 2014 was when they used that v12 crap which is what im stuck with ,My last remaining prs was a gift from my kids and the clear delaminated but obviously il never sell it and just keep it for the sentimental value …… nothing like spending this much on a guitar brand new from sweet water its only left my house a few times and dosent get the heavy rotation the mm’s do yet the clear just falls off ,I sold em all except blue and went with ebmm

Last edited:
Call the PTC and as far as I know its difficult to fix something like that next to the fingerboard. Tapes does stuff we don't want on fragile things unfortunately. A single drop of clear red nail polish may work after disclosure to your friend. Sorry man, that sucks.

I will have to say as a 15 collision repair technician who has sprayed clear-coat once or twice il say this …. Prs clear sucks, i have 1 of 8 left because they just cant hold up. Also if the date is from around 2014 was when they used that v12 crap which is what im stuck with ,My last remaining prs was a gift from my kids and the clear delaminated but obviously il never sell it and just keep it for the sentimental value …… nothing like spending this much on a guitar brand new from sweet water its only left my house a few times and dosent get the heavy rotation the mm’s do yet the clear just falls off ,I sold em all except blue and went with ebmm
Ummm…..warranty?

Thanks for all your replies. I doubt it's still under warranty and I don't know if it's nitro or not. Please excuse my ignorance, what is the PTC? Is that the Paul Reed Tech Center or something? Funny thing is, you couldn't mask it again to spray just that area or the same may occur.

Geeze Louise, you'd think PRS clear would be quality, esp for the cost of their instruments. Ernie Ball's are not cheap either. Some of the Petrucci models are really expensive.

My take is, there was something wrong with the finish prior to the application of a painters tape! If you truly did use your standard painters tape, that would not have ripped the finish off like that!! Now if thee finish in those spots was already loose, bubbled perhaps but not real visible, then yes, the painters tap could pull it off Not sure what you can do here, but I do not think it was your fault.
I agree with this 100%. Blue painters tape doesn't have that strong of adhesive on it.

PTC is the PRS Technical Center. They do warrantee and outside of warranty work. They will probably need to refinish the whole guitar. If he is the original purchaser of the guitar if it is not covered by warranty the price to refinish is around $700. If he is the second owner it will be double that, if the prices haven't changed. It takes several weeks to get the work done.

It can't hurt to contact PRS customer service to see if it is something that would be covered under warranty. I had a guitar that had a finish issue and they had me send it in. Once they inspected it they decided it needed to be refinished and it was a warranty job.

Thanks Jason. He's not the original owner and really isn't that upset about it, I was just hoping there may be a way to touch it up that didn't look too obvious.

Geeze Louise, you'd think PRS clear would be quality, esp for the cost of their instruments. Ernie Ball's are not cheap either. Some of the Petrucci models are really expensive.
I beat the hell out of my sabre and cutlass and there isnt a scratch on em

I beat the hell out of my sabre and cutlass and there isnt a scratch on em
How do you like their tremolos (assuming yours have trems) do they stay in tune well? I've been fighting with non-locking trems for years trying to get them to stay in tune really well. I've tried pretty much everything under the sun (been playing for like 40 yrs) and I research the crap out of solutions. So far, the trem on my Custom 22 has been the best for that.

Last edited:
I'd get a color match pen from Stew Mack, blend it in, sand it down, buff it and carry on. I did this with a PRS guitar I had and you couldn't even tell it was repaired.
I need to see a pic, lol. Just kidding. That's a great idea, thanks! I've seen those pens but never used one. Now I just have to convince my bud to try it. He seems content leaving it the way it is, but it really bothers my that it happened when I was trying to make it look nice for him.

Back