Damaged my buddy's 513 finish

How do you like their tremolos (assuming yours have trems) do they stay in tune well? I've been fighting with non-locking trems for years trying to get them to stay in tune really well. I've tried pretty much everything under the sun (been playing for like 40 yrs) and I research the crap out of solutions. So far, the trem on my Custom 22 has been the best for that.
I love them , actually prefer it to the prs imo. Its a personal taste thing

That sucks. So much for customer service...
The company has changed since i started playing their guitars … its not what it was and i was made to feel as tho i was an inconvenience for asking why a brand new guitar would be delaminating, the convo with ptc went south because a snotty assed little kid thought he knew it all. Life is all about how you come at people and that was enough to swear me off prs. They dont care about us only our money

The company has changed since i started playing their guitars … its not what it was and i was made to feel as tho i was an inconvenience for asking why a brand new guitar would be delaminating, the convo with ptc went south because a snotty assed little kid thought he knew it all. Life is all about how you come at people and that was enough to swear me off prs. They dont care about us only our money

Snotty assed little kid? Classy. Maybe some of your experience there was based on the attitude you’re putting out? It’s also very classy to crap all over another guy’s thread, just so you can get some vitriol out.

To the OP: That’s actually a 513, not a 509. It’s likely got a V12 or poly finish. Send the serial number to PRS support, and they’ll tell you. Ask for some suggestions for what to repair it with, too.

Thanks for all your replies. I doubt it's still under warranty and I don't know if it's nitro or not. Please excuse my ignorance, what is the PTC? Is that the Paul Reed Tech Center or something? Funny thing is, you couldn't mask it again to spray just that area or the same may occur.
Yes, the technical center. A link is in my sig, also an email and phone number.
Geeze Louise, you'd think PRS clear would be quality, esp for the cost of their instruments.
As I hoped to tip you off to earlier, you can find horror stories and negativity against any guitar maker on every forum on the net, normally posted by a trolling “new member” with a highly negative attitude. If you give it some thought, how do you think that person was with Support personnel on the phone? Please make that call yourself, talk to the people as you would expect to be addressed were you on their end, and form your opinions based on that.

As noted above, your friend has a 513. You can tell it from the 509 by the two blade switches. I have two of them, and they have been stellar guitars through hundreds of gigs. They haven’t made the 513 in quite some time, so considering that the finish was spotless through years of use and multiple owners tells you it was not poorly applied. Things happen… new guitars come with finish issues, and some 30 year old guitars look new. The thing you’re interested in is a proper fix, so staying focused on that will be a huge help to your cause.

Best of luck on your search.

One wonders why my experience was/is so much better than yours.

I agree with this 100%. Blue painters tape doesn't have that strong of adhesive on it.

PTC is the PRS Technical Center. They do warrantee and outside of warranty work. They will probably need to refinish the whole guitar. If he is the original purchaser of the guitar if it is not covered by warranty the price to refinish is around $700. If he is the second owner it will be double that, if the prices haven't changed. It takes several weeks to get the work done.

It can't hurt to contact PRS customer service to see if it is something that would be covered under warranty. I had a guitar that had a finish issue and they had me send it in. Once they inspected it they decided it needed to be refinished and it was a warranty job.
$700, try more than double that. I’ve had two refinished in the last year and a half and that $700 might cover the prep work and that’s about it.

Snotty assed little kid? Classy. Maybe some of your experience there was based on the attitude you’re putting out? It’s also very classy to crap all over another guy’s thread, just so you can get some vitriol out.

To the OP: That’s actually a 513, not a 509. It’s likely got a V12 or poly finish. Send the serial number to PRS support, and they’ll tell you. Ask for some suggestions for what to repair it with, too.
Yeah I realized after I posted it was a 513. I was looking at 509's. I like where the selector switch is on that way better than my Custom 22.

Thanks. I offered to buy the stew-mac touch up pens for my bud. He's coming over tonight to jam. I'll ask him again. I know he's not worried about it, but I just wish it never happened.

I know how he feels. I had a similar experience on a guitar that I have.

My luthier friend was really cross with himself. I told him to chill about it as the guitar in question is such a “tone machine” that the minor cosmetic issue, is no issue at all.

I know how he feels. I had a similar experience on a guitar that I have.

My luthier friend was really cross with himself. I told him to chill about it as the guitar in question is such a “tone machine” that the minor cosmetic issue, is no issue at all.
Yeah I couldn't believe it. I've used blue painters tape countless times to mask fretboards. I would have rather it happen to one of my guitars. Even though he's ok with it, it doesn't make me feel too good about it. Now I bought the green painters tape. If it happens with that, I give up.

Yeah I couldn't believe it. I've used blue painters tape countless times to mask fretboards. I would have rather it happen to one of my guitars. Even though he's ok with it, it doesn't make me feel too good about it. Now I bought the green painters tape. If it happens with that, I give up.

Hey I can only imagine how you feel. But what I’m trying to say is that I have been on the other side and if your friend say it’s ok, he means it’s ok.

These sort of things really suck. When you think that a process you’ve done several times will be ok and something happens like this to test your confidence.

I’m sure your buddy appreciates all that you’re offering to do to sort this.

I'm sure you're right, but it just bothers me. He gave it to me to restring. I polished the frets to a mirror shine, took apart the bridge and cleaned it up, I did a full set-up with a strobe tuner, and didn't notice the damage until it was done. It's just ironic that I tried to make it look really nice for him and that happened. Funny thing is, when he gave it to me, he said "you don't need to polish the frets" :(

I'm sure you're right, but it just bothers me. He gave it to me to restring. I polished the frets to a mirror shine, took apart the bridge and cleaned it up, I did a full set-up with a strobe tuner, and didn't notice the damage until it was done. It's just ironic that I tried to make it look really nice for him and that happened. Funny thing is, when he gave it to me, he said "you don't need to polish the frets" :(
Your feelings are well understood mate. I'd feel exactly the same.
You are obviously a good guy and he knows that.

i’d still let/force you to setup my guitars if you were around here.

I need to see a pic, lol. Just kidding. That's a great idea, thanks! I've seen those pens but never used one. Now I just have to convince my bud to try it. He seems content leaving it the way it is, but it really bothers my that it happened when I was trying to make it look nice for him.
Hard to believe, I know. I was amazed how well it turned out but I no longer have the guitar. If nothing else, the touch-up helps keep it from getting worse. Don't know if a touch-up pen can get a perfect color match for this particular guitar.

$700, try more than double that. I’ve had two refinished in the last year and a half and that $700 might cover the prep work and that’s about it.
Were they done by the PRS PTS?
Were there finish issues with the guitars, not just wanting them to be a different color?
Were you the original purchaser of the guitar that bought it new from an authorized dealer?

Were they done by the PRS PTS?
Were there finish issues with the guitars, not just wanting them to be a different color?
Were you the original purchaser of the guitar that bought it new from an authorized dealer?
Jason I bought both used and then had them refinished. The work that the PTC guys did on the finish was incredible, the work was flawless. I stuck to the original factory coloring. On one of them, I had them put the larger PRS logo on the headstock though since I’m not a fan of the smaller original logo. I just recently picked up a used PRS Custom 24 Dave Navarro Signature model which has an indent line showing in the body where the two maple top halves meet and they quoted me $1,900 plus shipping to refinish the entire guitar. I’ll more than likely get it done a little later in the year this year. The refinish price varies depending how much work they will need to do to the body to get it back to looking new, that’s why they have you send it to them before they quote a price to you. On one of my others there were a ton of indents the size and shape of drum stick heads on the back of the body that looked like someone used the guitar for a drum practice pad, I’d had never seen anything like it. The PTC guys fixed those and the guitar looks like it is factory new.

Back