Damaged my buddy's 513 finish

Jason I bought both used and then had them refinished. The work that the PTC guys did on the finish was incredible, the work was flawless. I stuck to the original factory coloring. On one of them, I had them put the larger PRS logo on the headstock though since I’m not a fan of the smaller original logo. I just recently picked up a used PRS Custom 24 Dave Navarro Signature model which has an indent line showing in the body where the two maple top halves meet and they quoted me $1,900 plus shipping to refinish the entire guitar. I’ll more than likely get it done a little later in the year this year. The refinish price varies depending how much work they will need to do to the body to get it back to looking new, that’s why they have you send it to them before they quote a price to you. On one of my others there were a ton of indents the size and shape of drum stick heads on the back of the body that looked like someone used the guitar for a drum practice pad, I’d had never seen anything like it. The PTC guys fixed those and the guitar looks like it is factory new.
That helps explain the price difference. The $700 was for the original purchaser. It was $1400 for a second owner. I can completely understand any damage or other issues being extra. I am sure the original purchaser would pay more as well if there were some indentations to fix.

It is kind of a tough decision. It is nice to bring a guitar back to new but that is a good way to the price of buying another guitar. I am glad the one I had them do was under warranty. I would have wrestled with that decision a bit. The fog in the finish was getting worse and I am not sure how much value it would have knocked out of the guitar.

That helps explain the price difference. The $700 was for the original purchaser. It was $1400 for a second owner. I can completely understand any damage or other issues being extra. I am sure the original purchaser would pay more as well if there were some indentations to fix.

It is kind of a tough decision. It is nice to bring a guitar back to new but that is a good way to the price of buying another guitar. I am glad the one I had them do was under warranty. I would have wrestled with that decision a bit. The fog in the finish was getting worse and I am not sure how much value it would have knocked out of the guitar.
I get your point, but it’s tough not to fix them up to me. PRS guitars are incredible instruments both playability wise and visually. So when i finally decided on the models I wanted, I took my time to find just the right ones that caught my eye. When I finally got them it was off to PTC to have them worked on and refinished.

Back