D standard / drop C vs string gauge

Micky!

Dragon trainer
I recently play my CE22 in std D or drop C.

I first played with 10-46, it sounded good but the tension was very low, especially in drop C. So I switched to 11-49. The tension is back to normal but I am less happy with the way the CE sounds. The bass are way too present. I optimized my sound by lowering D1 height a bit and with an equalizer, but I feel that the guitar doesn't deliver its full potential.

Anybody is playing his 25" scale prs with these tunings? What string gauge do you use?

Last edited:
11,14,18,36,52,60 in drop C. My gauge would only give you more of what you’re not liking. You could try raising the pole pieces in the pickup to see if getting a little more bite helps. Raise them all maybe a half turn and see if it helps. Keep track of the adjustments in case you feel it has a negative impact. Less bass, more mids and treble on the amp?

Have you tried the 10-48 from stringjoy...I did use them on my Jackson PC1 and they were ok. I never tried them on my PRS guitars. I only bring them up because they seem in between gauge wise.

Another thing you can try if you like the feel of the 11-49 is trying different brands of strings because they all seem to have a different "edge" to them.

FYI: It's probably irrelevant but i use NYXL 11-50 BT on my 594 tuned to D standard...it feels and acts perfect...but TOTALLY not a CE 22 build wise. So....yes...file that in the useless information file.

@Bowtiefanatc I like 25" scale, and I do not really appreciate long scales.

@vchizzle I already tried to tweak PU height and pole height, it helps, but I didn't found this full rich and well balance sound that the Dragon 1 delivers in standard E tuning. I also tried to build a dedicated preset on my Helix, and I succeed somehow, but it's a compromise (Equalizer pedal was helping to get the tight low end that was not achievable with the amp setting only).

@GuitarJammin Not sure Stringjoy is distributed in France. I usually play XL nickel d'Addario (which is the case of the CE22), or Elixir. I will try to find a alternative string set (when we will have the right to go out :) )

I was also curious to know if they were people using 10-52 like the original mount of the Mark Holcomb, which is set up in drop C at the factory, but has a 25.5 scale. In my case it shuld not goes in the good direction I guess.

I use these for D Standard and for Drop C on my Custom 22s and Singlecuts.
1002-EXL140.jpg

@Bowtiefanatc I like 25" scale, and I do not really appreciate long scales.

@vchizzle I already tried to tweak PU height and pole height, it helps, but I didn't found this full rich and well balance sound that the Dragon 1 delivers in standard E tuning. I also tried to build a dedicated preset on my Helix, and I succeed somehow, but it's a compromise (Equalizer pedal was helping to get the tight low end that was not achievable with the amp setting only).

@GuitarJammin Not sure Stringjoy is distributed in France. I usually play XL nickel d'Addario (which is the case of the CE22), or Elixir. I will try to find a alternative string set (when we will have the right to go out :) )

I was also curious to know if they were people using 10-52 like the original mount of the Mark Holcomb, which is set up in drop C at the factory, but has a 25.5 scale. In my case it shuld not goes in the good direction I guess.

Well, my suggestion was going to be nickel strings, but I see you are already on that one.

The mass of the heavier strings accentuates the bass. I found that the Tremonti bridge pickup sounded horrible to me at E STD, but quite good in lower tunings. I suspect you’ll want a brighter/tighter pup for your tuning.

Hey dude.

I use D standard or drop C on a CE22 as well. And my Starla.

I always liked the way 10-46 played and sounded in D standard. I fit a heavier single string (yes, you can still find them some places) for the low C in the drop tuning. I've tried a few gauges from .48 to .52, maybe higher from memory... I guess you just need to try a few and see how they feel. The .48 or .50 seem to balance the tension with the rest of the strings well enough and don't sound boomy, but you still need to be careful if you're heavy with your picking hand.

I guess Dragon 1 are maybe a little too full for low tuning...
My #1 is a 94 Custom 22 with Dragon I’s and it’s tuned to D Standard.
Sounds like you might need to tweak your amp.

(Dibs on those D-I’s if you change them. I’ve got 2 guitars with D-II’s. Now THOSE p’ups don’t agree with D Standard!:D:p)

@JJJ actually I use 10-46 with E string of 49 on my LP custom tuned in drop D and it's perfect. I liked the CE in 10-46 and D standard, I should Rey to put a 49 as E string, it should be the best of both worlds.

@DISTORT6 a 1995 CE22 has to stay with D1s :D

@JJJ actually I use 10-46 with E string of 49 on my LP custom tuned in drop D and it's perfect. I liked the CE in 10-46 and D standard, I should Rey to put a 49 as E string, it should be the best of both worlds.

@DISTORT6 a 1995 CE22 has to stay with D1s :D

The only issue I find with using 10-46 as your basis is the heavier you go on the bottom, the boomier it tends to sound and the more you need to adjust the pickups. Once you find a balance where it plays well enough and still sounds good you're in business

One solution is to angle the pickups, so the bass end is lower than the treble string end. Or adjust the pole pieces so the ones under the bass strings are lower. Another solution is to buy a couple of strings sets-- 9's and 11's, and use the bass strings from the 9 set and the treble strings from the 11 set. Your string replacements now cost twice as much and you waste strings, but you're a millionaire rock star, right?

@ IceTre 42 Bass side tuned in drop C good luck :D

I spent a little hour to fine tune pickups and pole height, and I managed to get something interesting. D1 are maybe the most sensitive PU I played... If you change tuning or string gauge, you need to tweak PU again.

I will keep 11-49 for now.

Back