Custom24-08 neck gloss -> satin?

Saijin

I just received my charcoal cherry 24-08.
My first PrS.

The neck is glossy isn’t it?

Is it possible to have a pro turn it to satin?
If yes, would the look of the coating change as well and make it look weird?

Bought used or new? Should be gloss btw. Third edit lol, if it’s satin anyone could have used triple ot OOO steel wool to cut the gloss. Lots of peeps have done it for a smoother feel.

Last edited:
Bought used or new? Should be gloss btw. Third edit lol, if it’s satin anyone could have used triple ot OOO steel wool to cut the gloss. Lots of peeps have done it for a smoother feel.
It’s brand new custom24-08 10top cherry charcoal.

I haven’t touched a gloss neck guitar for 10 years. Wasn’t expecting it gloss -_-

If I refinish it to satin it would lose the resale value no?

Use scotchbrite (I prefer the blue) or micro mesh. Steel wool can make a mess and likes to attract to pickups. You can cover them to help, but I've done dozens and dozens with scotchbrite or micromesh.

Would you mind showing me a photo of your PRS?
I’m curious if it’ll make the color just look weird or mismatch with the head and body.

20201210_1239052ec930cc57f2e1497740b58e6e10ded3.jpg

Here it is in blue on my core Cu24. It started to get some bubbles in the clear finish that I tried to get out. That's those couple little tiny specs you see. You can polish it back to gloss as well. It would take some time on mine to do that now because Inwas also removing the bubbles, but there were several points I could have stopped at and got it gloss it again no problem. I tested it along the process.

Screenshot_20201127-235935_Gallery4e597fc1a683743e.jpg

Thanks! Gloss drives me crazy too! Always has, but luckily there's a solution that I honestly thinks looks better if done right.

I'd be happy to help.
Ok, so it won’t lose its resale value?
Honestly I’m not even sure I’m keeping this charcoal cherry (just got it today), I originally wanted the blue mateo 20th anniversary.

But yes, please tell me what to buy and how to do the process so I don’t ruin it?

I used blue painters tape to cover the parts I wanted to stay gloss. I used differnet widths to get a better tape line, the thin for curves and thicker for larger surfaces.

Screenshot_20201127-232939_Gallery70945e9a93b089e2.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-233306_Gallery68e9c54518a467d7.jpg

I use blue and this scotchbrite. There's a variety micro mesh pack on Amazon that works great too.

Screenshot_20201127-234151_Gallery9a123816f7eff953.jpg

Micro mesh small

Micro mesh 3x4

Go in a smooth and even single direction along the length of the neck. Start slow and softer until you get the hang of it. Then go more as you feel comfortable. Take your time and don't dig. I put the pads the length of my hand and go along the neck like I would playing.

Use this stuff between coats to smooth scratches. It will slow the process as it will buff the satin out. Repeat sanding in stages. Take your time. You'll see using this stuff the gloss can come back. There's other products and techniques to fully bring it back, but why? It's sooo much better now.

Scratch x

I used blue painters tape to cover the parts I wanted to stay gloss. I used differnet widths to get a better tape line, the thin for curves and thicker for larger surfaces.

Screenshot_20201127-232939_Gallery70945e9a93b089e2.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-233306_Gallery68e9c54518a467d7.jpg

I use blue and this scotchbrite. There's a variety micro mesh pack on Amazon that works great too.

Screenshot_20201127-234151_Gallery9a123816f7eff953.jpg

Micro mesh small

Micro mesh 3x4

Go in a smooth and even single direction along the length of the neck. Start slow and softer until you get the hang of it. Then go more as you feel comfortable. Take your time and don't dig. I put the pads the length of my hand and go along the neck like I would playing.

Use this stuff between coats to smooth scratches. It will slow the process as it will buff the satin out. Repeat sanding in stages. Take your time. You'll see using this stuff the gloss can come back. There's other products and techniques to fully bring it back, but why? It's sooo much better now.

Scratch x
The blue scotch brite is the only one I need right? No need for the brown one?

I also noticed that you covered that side of the head where the neck connects to the head and flares out, wouldn’t you want the satin texture to flow evenly?

Thanks a bunch for taking the time and take photos

And the last product is to get the gloss back correct? I thought I had to use it while using the blue scotch brite. I misread.

Ok, so it won’t lose its resale value?
Honestly I’m not even sure I’m keeping this charcoal cherry (just got it today), I originally wanted the blue mateo 20th anniversary.

But yes, please tell me what to buy and how to do the process so I don’t ruin it?
If done right, I'd be happy it was done. Now if you strip the neck to bare wood like some, that totally kills value to me. A professional looking job and I'm happy. My necks look like the black satin ce necks. You can always bring the gloss back if you take your time, go slow, and do it right.

If I was flipping a guitar I wouldn't waste my time, but a keeper then its worth it to me. At the end of the day and value it all depends on the quality of work and the buyer. There's people out there that like gloss and others that want bone stock. I don't buy guitars for other people.. and make them my own, done right. Mods are mods, and I don't consider them upgrades even if they are to me. They are still just modifications.

I also noticed that you covered that side of the head where the neck connects to the head and flares out, wouldn’t you want the satin texture to flow evenly?

Thanks a bunch for taking the time and take photos

I didn't want a stark line..I wanted it have a finished look and blend better to look more professional.

Welcome

I didn't want a stark line..I wanted it have a finished look and blend better to look more professional.

Welcome
Got it. I’ll do it gently and not press the scotch rite against the neck. (I tend to be forceful)

About how many single passes is just enough about?

And the last product is to get the gloss back correct? I thought I had to use it while using the blue scotch brite. I misread.
Yes it gets the gloss back, but also helps even out scratches and such between sanding if needed. I first used it just to prove to myself the gloss can come back. Since the neck is painted it's not as wham bam as grabbing a maple strat neck and going at it with a scotchbrite after some Jack Daniels..

Got it. I’ll do it gently and not press the scotch rite against the neck. (I tend to be forceful)

About how many single passes is just enough about?

I'm the same and did get more forcefull with it, but start slow and gentle. The build up pressure from there once you get the hang of it. I mean, it is a Core and not a Squier. Lol

The passes vary with pressure, grits, and finish. I prefer to start easy and do more. My blue one I really got into it trying to remove the bubbles, but that took time for me to build up to that.

Back