Custom Private Stock Cost Estimation Methodology?

BWV548

Custom Title
I'm in the early stages of planning a custom build. Realistically, I won't be pulling the trigger for 6-8 months. Not going to do this until I hit some goals for myself. As such, I don't want to bother a Private Stock merchant for questions on potential business that is so far out in the future.
Do folks have estimation methodologies? For example, does doing comps with extant PS guitars, yield something close, or does one pay a considerable premium for a one-off?
Thoughts?

Comparing to someone else's build won't give accurate results unless you are using the same dealer because dealer markups vary. Unless you're the dealer or his brother, you will never know the dealer cost. You need a quote from your dealer.

PRS maintains a list of each upcharge. If they have done it before, they have a record of the charge.

Unless you are contemplating dome thing they have never done before, they can give your dealer a really accurate quote. Even for unique stuff, they can give a reasonable range.

Have your dealer send your specs in and get an estimate.

Comparing to someone else's build won't give accurate results unless you are using the same dealer because dealer markups vary. Unless you're the dealer or his brother, you will never know the dealer cost. You need a quote from your dealer.

PRS maintains a list of each upcharge. If they have done it before, they have a record of the charge.

Unless you are contemplating dome thing they have never done before, they can give your dealer a really accurate quote. Even for unique stuff, they can give a reasonable range.

Have your dealer send your specs in and get an estimate.

yep.

My experience is also -- talk to your dealer. Even if it's a long way out, a good dealer with PS experience can give you some useful guidance. Remember though that prices change over time.

Thanks all. I realize price fluctuations are a risk. I'm just trying to gauge ballpark. E.g. If I'm in the 9-12k or a fair bit higher will definitely impact decisions. If my absolute ideal is more than I think worth spending, knowing compromises, and how tolerable I find them, would be useful.
Though, I guess you're all correct. If I'm completely up front with the dealer, regarding timing, they can decide for themselves if they want to do the work at this point or not

I reached out to my dealer and was completely open on timing. They indicated that it's actually a good plan to start quite early as narrowing down tends to take more time than most people plan for. Not having done this, I'm not quite sure why. I'm hoping that part of that reason is that they'll analyze my request and tell me if I'm doing something stupid, sonically, and give other options with reasons and implications. It is certainly conceivable that I'll do something daft, as I think I know what I want, but don't really have experience with execution on such requirements.
Do PRS tend to advise on custom build, when they think something can be done better, differently or do they just build per the requested spec?
They'll get me a ballpark on the *current* state of my requirements

My experience (and it was only one) was that my dealer (Brian G.) and PRS gave advice on the build. It definitely helps to be able to give them a good idea of what you're going for. For me, that meant telling them what I wanted to avoid as well as what I was shooting for. I felt similarly to what you describe - I knew pretty well what I wanted, but I don't have enough experience to know if I take this wood with this pickup, am I getting into an area I want to avoid. Brian and the PRS team were very helpful in that regard. My advice - if you're unsure about something, just ask. That was just one of the bits of advice Brian gave me - it's better to ask the question up front.

I'll echo what Alan said above...

...you really just need to find a dealer that you trust and work the process with them and ask ANY question that comes into your mind. Also, since you are starting the process out it's a good idea to get a build / spec sheet from your dealer so that you can see the core items that you need to spec out. I also found that reference pictures go a long way.

As far as the time factor for putting the specs together; there definitely is some back and forth as you ask questions, adjust for cost consideration, etc. In my case I found that there were a couple of items that took me the longest to make final commitments on; Stain color and Inlay Material.

But enjoy the process and good luck!

You seem to have a very similar approach to me - ie, I won’t permit myself to get the next big item that I’m jonesing for (guitar, watch etc) until I accomplish some goal or other, usually linked with a significant goal at work. This way, it feels like I have ‘deserved it’ and also, it becomes associated with that important milestone. Still, I’d say there’s no harm in chatting with a dealer and getting some background info under your belt and hopefully, knowing that they’ll be the ones you will eventually work with. Happy hunting!!

I'm in the early stages of planning a custom build. Realistically, I won't be pulling the trigger for 6-8 months. Not going to do this until I hit some goals for myself. As such, I don't want to bother a Private Stock merchant for questions on potential business that is so far out in the future.
Do folks have estimation methodologies? For example, does doing comps with extant PS guitars, yield something close, or does one pay a considerable premium for a one-off?
Thoughts?

Zombie thread. but yeah, I have often wondered "What if I order a Private Stock guitar which is very basic and simple? Will it cost less?"

Low teens
Thanks. I was hoping the lower end would be around $10k.

What I want isn’t that crazy so maybe I’ll keep watching reverb. And if the economy does what I think it might, there should be some buying opportunities in the not too distant future. But, I thought that would have already happened, so who knows.

Brian mentioned that this was, “about as cheap as you can spec a PS currently”

Any ideas if the supply of rare wood is drying up or if it’s just general inflation + supply/demand that has driven private stock prices so high?

Anyone know if private stocks also changed from V12 to Nitro in 2019 like the core models did?

Back