• Custom 24

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Custom 22

Votes: 13 20.3%

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • just get the 22 with the 57/08s

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters
Why can't I vote for more than one??? :)

I dove into the PRS world last year with an Artist Package 408, and I'm absolutely in love. I'm already planning out my next guitar (Artist Package Cu22 or 24 with a trem and the \m/ pickups). I love my 408 because of the versatility. I know plenty of people who talk smack about the 408 ("if it does a bunch of things decently well, it can't do anything truly great"). But you know what? With the flick of a switch or two, I can go from Strat to Tele to straight up Megadeth. All with the stock pickups. Let's see your Les Paul or Fender do that!

I say this openly acknowledging "to each, his/her own". As a performing musician (I don't record, we just play covers in bars), I can't rave enough about having that kind of sonic flexibility at my fingertips. That said, I admit that my 408 does a lot of things really, really well. But it ain't a pure "metal" guitar, and it's not a pure "Strat" guitar...it covers the sounds I need on stage, and it does it damn well. I'd be perfectly happy never playing another guitar, but I ordered the stop tail. Can't play "Kickstart My Heart" with a stop tail, now can I? :)

Now that I'm done rambling, I'll say this - everyone's got an opinion. When I was asking similar questions, getting frustrated with delays in my build, etc....the folks on this forum by and large had the same message for me, and I'll pass that to you. They told me time and again, "Hang in there...go with your gut, and go with what speaks to you. You'll bond with this guitar, and it'll be special to you. The only thing that matters is that you're happy with it."

Seriously, the people on this forum are good people...and they know their stuff. I know I'm not alone here, but I can't rave enough about the Artist Package program. It allows you to pick the guitar model you want, and make a few customizations to it to make it your own...without going full-scale Private Stock. So as Sloan said, if you went the AP route you could order a 22 or 24 with the pickups you want, and make a few other changes as well.

GREAT information. I'm glad you brought up the artist package. I've been looking at that as a GREAT way to get a custom guitar at a fraction of the PS price. Disappointed that Tiger Eye is still only PS, but Orange Tiger is pretty close.......!

My vote is for the 408. It's what I have, and the one I wanted above all other PRS's. As many have said, it is incredibly versatile. It does have its own unique voicing, but that is what I loved about it. It's not designed to sound like others (it's not meant to copy a Les Paul, Strat, Tele, etc. all in one package), but instead give you several tone options in one guitar. Same could be said for any guitar, but if that tone isn't what you want, then it's not the right guitar. On the other hand, if it's a tone you like, it will give you everything you could want and more!

That said, I still have crazy GAS for more PRS models, including a Custom 24, for even MORE tonal variety and options! So...CU24 is my second vote.

The 408 is my fav PRS model as of now, but I usually recommand a Custom 22/24 for entering the world of PRS. Good luck!

You'll get them all eventually, just start planning for it now.

Ain't that the truth! I bought a used Cu24 in early February this year, already bought another (a SE baritone) and pre-ordered a third (SE ZM Spalted).

I voted for Cu24 - that was my dream guitar, always wanted a 24-fretter (everything else I have is 22 fret or less), and if I had to keep only one guitar out of my collection, I would grab that one (even though my Les Paul is worth more).

Eventually you may find the pups you want "after-market" at a reasonable cost, or maybe PRS will offer them direct eventually. But I'm a little less concerned about specific pups: I honestly can't even tell you what's in my Cu24 (it's a 2002 model, and I assume it is unmodified other than the neck pickup being turned around for some reason).

But my lack of knowledge about different specific pups might be just my way of avoiding going on a pup upgrade bonanza on one or more of my guitars...

IMHO, YMMV.

Last edited:
The CU22 has a neck heel that extends further than the CU24, making it a little odd to play near the 15th fret.
Versus a strat or tele or Les Paul, which are all clunky and terribly shaped, I would happily play the Custom 22's neck heel 10 times out of 10.

I started with a CU24 and then bought a 408. At first the 408 sounded brittle to me, and I kept pushing the strings off the neck. I was disappointed because the neck is fatter and then tone is not a subtly "creamy" - However, as I got used to the 408, and stopped pulling the strings off the neck, I now love it and can;t go back to the CU24. Honestly, this process took quite awhile, but the 408 has a certain sound that grows on you. It's precise and full.

I also have to say it really works with the new GHS "metal" strings (for me) - it gets a solid sustain tone.

But I would liken the two to comparing a Les Paul to a Strat. The CU24 is lighter and has all those blended pickup options, but you also get a noticable volume drop when you use the inner positions. The 408 has a much richer and fuller bridge and middle pickup setting with no noticeable volume drop.

Versus a strat or tele or Les Paul, which are all clunky and terribly shaped, I would happily play the Custom 22's neck heel 10 times out of 10.

As would most of us, but if the neck heel is a concern for the OP, I'm sure he'd like to know about it before he drops $3000.

No, I'm not Ed Roman, but I avoided the CU22 for a few reasons, one of them being the neck heel, and others might want to do the same (including the OP).

What's the harm in sharing that type of info? Isn't this forum about gathering information and helping eachother out? Or are the forums just so we can drool all over our NGD posts? You're the 2nd person to comment on my innocent comment on CU22 neck heels.

Last edited:
I love my 408 because of the versatility. I know plenty of people who talk smack about the 408 ("if it does a bunch of things decently well, it can't do anything truly great"). But you know what? With the flick of a switch or two, I can go from Strat to Tele to straight up Megadeth. All with the stock pickups. Let's see your Les Paul or Fender do that!

You know the same exact thing was said about the 513. The 408 is truly a successor to the 513, but I still prefer the singlecoil sounds of the 513.

As far as choosing between a Cu24, a Cu22, and a 408, I don't think you can go wrong with the choice. The strange thing is that I don't even have a stock one of them to compare to each other. My Cu22 bodied guitars are a soap bar and a P22, both with maple necks. The the only 24 fretter I have is a Johnny Hiland. The 408's are a Semi-Hollow and a Signature LTD with stoptail. But, I think if I were going to go for a Cu22 or a Cu24, I'd probably go for their P22 or P24 versions, unless you really think you are going to want to change pick ups. As far as 408's, I prefer the stoptail to the trem. The stoptail is just a beefier midranged tone.

Last edited:
As far as 408's, I prefer the stoptail to the trem. The stoptail is just a beefer midranged tone.
I almost wish I had gone with a stoptail.
I have the 408 with trem, and three SEs with trem, and I really do not use the trem on any of them.
I am digging the Zach Myers with no trem.

Can my dealer lock down the trem on the 408 for a better sound?

If you're looking for a Custom 24 with 57/08 PUs, then you should look for the 2013 release. :)

This is the link to the actual 2013 CU 24 page: http://www.prsguitars.com/2013/custom24/

They offered them in standart 57/08 or HFS/VB. I got mine with 57/08 and I really love it, though I have no point of comparison in person, only on YT demos, because I haven't tried any other PRS pickups. But most of the recommendations when I was doing my research on forums was that the 57/08 is the way to go. :)

Good luck on your quest.

Ken
2013 PRS Custom 24 - Orange Tiger | Non 10 | Pattern Thin

I'm pretty biased as I have a 408. I find it to be not only much more versatile, but more "balanced" than the 22's. Just my opinion. I guess it depends what you need and your preferences. Try them all, see what sings to you!

Also, Paul's guitar- I wish I got my hands on one before I bought my 408. It's really a work of art.

I've got a Paul's Guitar and absolutely love it: much prefer it to my old 408 but that was a trem so maybe a 408 Stoptail would have suited me just as well as my PG. That said, of the ones you listed, I voted to Custom 22 with 57/08s. I played an Eriza Verde Custom 22 Stoptail with 57/08s recently - through a Marshall 2061 - and my God it sounded good!

I was very disappointed with lack of any appreciable sustain with this guitar. I love the feel, though. I went overboard to get the exact sound I wanted. I screwed in trem claw until bridge against body. I added tremol-no and locked, using blue threadlock on screws. I also wrapped electric tape around the ends of each spring. (Then re-did entire setup for relief, action, intonation)

Sounds like I have a slightly brighter Les Paul in a PRS Custom 24 body. I couldn't be happier!

Kevin

One thing you can do besides cranking the term block down to the body is cut a piece of some hard wood such as mahogany so that it slips in between the trem block and the body. Then crank the spring screws down a bit. This way you get the saddle angle on the top side at the correct pitch that it was designed for. You will also gain a tremendous amount of sustain by doing this.

IMO, the CU 22 is the overall best sounding electric guitar ever made. It sits perfectly between the extremes of Fender and Gibson. Lots of guitars do this or that better, but the CU22 can do it all, and has many of its own tones that nothing else really does. I can think of negatives in a 24 (neck pup tone is just not big enough) and the 408s pups were to similar sounding. The CU 22 is like a killer vintage guitar, with just the right modern improvements. Metal, country, jazz, blues., rock........no problem anywhere on a CU 22. YMMV, IMO etc etc.

Back