Custom 24 Swamp Ash Body vs Regular Mahogany Body

Mert Mermerci

Hello all,

I'm a new member of this forum and looking for a new PRS Guitar (preferably a Wood Library Custom 24) in the market.

I found one which stunning by how it looks and one feature of it is, having a Swamp Ash Body with 85/15s and a Maple Top. I read through the internet a little and found out that the sound of a Swamp Ash body guitar may lead towards to Fender side. I already have a Fender and want a different sound.

I generally play Progressive Metal and Rock, but I want a guitar that is versatile enough to play some blues and jazz.

Which one would you recommend Swamp Ash Body or Regular Mahogany Body? (By the way, I'm open for recommendations of different models, wood combinations vs)

Yeah, try them, if you can. CU24 will cover the range of music you are talking about. Others will, too. Check out the 594s...

Yeah, try them, if you can. CU24 will cover the range of music you are talking about. Others will, too. Check out the 594s...
Thank you for you reply! Actually I found the guitar online and probably buy online. I can try some PRS guitars (regular CU24 and McCarty 594 Singlecut) after life returns to normal again (all the stores are closed due to COVID-19) but probably I cannot try the specific guitar that I want to buy so that’s why I want to hear some kind opinions about these guitars :(

Hmm, the sometimes nebulous question about body tonewoods.

I am of the opinion that the swamp ash will sound different from the mahogany, assuming an identically built guitar otherwise.

However, those differences may or may not be easily overcome with some tone knob twiddling (guitar or amp), and or approach (attack) with the pick.

Yesterday I was playing my SCHB II (hog back and neck, RW neck, etc), and I swear it sounded more Fenderish than it ever had any right to, and I'm not quite sure why - pick attack, fingers, particular guitar/pedal/amp settings?

So...maybe grab the swamp ash CU24 and see how it sounds, to you?

Back