Custom 24 Swamp Ash Body vs Regular Mahogany Body

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Mert Mermerci, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Mert Mermerci

Mert Mermerci New Member

Hello all,

I'm a new member of this forum and looking for a new PRS Guitar (preferably a Wood Library Custom 24) in the market.

I found one which stunning by how it looks and one feature of it is, having a Swamp Ash Body with 85/15s and a Maple Top. I read through the internet a little and found out that the sound of a Swamp Ash body guitar may lead towards to Fender side. I already have a Fender and want a different sound.

I generally play Progressive Metal and Rock, but I want a guitar that is versatile enough to play some blues and jazz.

Which one would you recommend Swamp Ash Body or Regular Mahogany Body? (By the way, I'm open for recommendations of different models, wood combinations vs)

2. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

Welcome to the forum.

I don’t really find much difference between swamp ash and mahogany. I’d buy the one that appealed to me aesthetically all other things being equal.

Alnus Rubra, Mert Mermerci and Egads like this.
  3. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Gotta try them, no guitar is for everyone or everything.

Mert Mermerci and Egads like this.
  4. Egads

Egads One, Two, THIRTEEN!

Yeah, try them, if you can. CU24 will cover the range of music you are talking about. Others will, too. Check out the 594s...

5. Mert Mermerci

Mert Mermerci New Member

Thank you for you reply! Actually I found the guitar online and probably buy online. I can try some PRS guitars (regular CU24 and McCarty 594 Singlecut) after life returns to normal again (all the stores are closed due to COVID-19) but probably I cannot try the specific guitar that I want to buy so that’s why I want to hear some kind opinions about these guitars :(

bodia likes this.
  6. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

Hmm, the sometimes nebulous question about body tonewoods.

I am of the opinion that the swamp ash will sound different from the mahogany, assuming an identically built guitar otherwise.

However, those differences may or may not be easily overcome with some tone knob twiddling (guitar or amp), and or approach (attack) with the pick.

Yesterday I was playing my SCHB II (hog back and neck, RW neck, etc), and I swear it sounded more Fenderish than it ever had any right to, and I'm not quite sure why - pick attack, fingers, particular guitar/pedal/amp settings?

So...maybe grab the swamp ash CU24 and see how it sounds, to you?