Swamp Ash vs Mahogany Bodies

Dimebag11

I’ve yet to give a go to a swamp ash body PRS, like some of the WL models out there.

Is there a discernible difference? If so, how would you describe it? Any models you prefer them on to others?

My swamp ash PRS Core is essentially a Studio configuration, with HNN pickups, an ash body, and a maple bolt-on neck. (I call it my Swamp Ash Special although it’s obviously different from earlier SASs. Can’t be sure, but I’m thinking it was a limited run. Any other info would be welcome.) It’s a wonderfully bright and even twangy guitar, obviously veering more towards the “Fender” side of the original PRS concept of Fender-meets-Gibson as a best of both worlds. I dig it.

I also own several maple-on-mahogany Core models, and all I can say is they sound quite different from my SAS. Generally warmer. The closest set-neck Core I own that’s even tonally close to the SAS is a korina McCarty that eats other guitars for breakfast (as the saying goes). Aggressively bright, but in a really cool way. (My McRosie is kinda scared of it! lol) Still, they’re all quite different.

In fact, I like the Studio configuration so much that the idea of buying one of the current set-neck maple/mahogany Studios wouldn't faze me at all, regarding my hesitation at buying similar sounding guitars. I’m pretty sure they’d sound very different.

EDIT: I’ve since come across the old Reverb listing I bought the SAS thru, and it was in fact called a ‘Swamp Ash Studio’ model. Anyone know the background of that model? Limited run? TIA.

Last edited:
I prefer lightweight swamp ash to alder or mahogany on Teles and Strats. Just sounds livlier and has a resonance that appeals to me.

I do own a swamp ash Tele and Strat, as well as an alder Tele and Strat.

That's the limit of my experience.

Never played a swamp ash PRS.

I prefer lightweight swamp ash to alder or mahogany on Teles and Strats. Just sounds livlier and has a resonance that appeals to me.

I do own a swamp ash Tele and Strat, as well as an alder Tele and Strat.

That's the limit of my experience.

Never played a swamp ash PRS.
Absolutely love the swamp ash body on my SAS. Light, resonant, and although swamp ash is mainly associated with single coil guitars, it can be very effective with humbucking pickups as well. The swamp ash special pickups are fairly low output like PAF HB’s, and that may make them work better with swamp ash bodies. Just a theory, all I know is it sounds great to my ears.

I’m keeping a close eye on this thread, I have a feeling I’m gonna learn a thing or two about swamp ash! Only problem is I probably end up buying a guitar with it.

Luckily for you I have no guitars made with Swamp Ash.

I do have a guitar with spank and quack, but I don’t think you’d be interested.

I have a 24-08 and SSH, both with a swamp ash back and maple neck. The thing I think I’ve noticed most is the bass seems to be tighter with a swamp ash body. I could be totally wrong but that’s been my impression.

Back