Custom 24 or custom 22

Ron Pantucci

Ron P
Hey everyone. Ok I got an email from Dave's guitar shop. He sad if I would rater a custom 24 (at no extra cost). He would be able to do that Or I can stick with the custom 22. Any thoughts on this?

Both are good guitars. The neck pickup on the 24 sounds a bit different because it is a bit closer to the bridge, but better or worse is a personal preference.
I play 22 more often, but those extra 2 frets do come in handy on some songs.

Really, you could buy either on looks, or what gets into your hands sooner if you are in a hurry.

I like 22 fret guitars, but for more "modern" type stuff the 24 has the advantage. The CU24 is pretty much the "Flagship PRS". So if you're into more prog-rock stuff the 24 is the clear winner. However, you can't go wrong with either honestly. Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Do you prefer a “boomy” neck pickup (22) or a “snappy” neck pickup (24)?

That’s overstating the effect, but that’s basically the difference between the two. (Others would say darker vs brighter neck pickup)

I like a heavy metal distortion sound. Or 80s metal sound.

Last edited:
I pretty much only use the bridge pickup so to me they sound the same. This may be in my head but the 24 feels easier to bend strings. I prefer the 24.

Obviously the 24 seems to have the cachet of being "the flagship PRS," and rightfully so--I mean, it's what PRS used to break the market mold. But I still say "get what you want to play" because they playing/player is what it's all about (and I'd venture a guess that PRSh would agree with me). I have a nice little collection going right now, but no 24's myself...

Also--how much you wanna bet that he sells tons more 22-fret guitars these days because of all the 594 successes..? I know that 24-frets put him on the map, but I bet in 2020/2021 it's 22-frets that are paying the bills.

Depends on which neck shape you want !!! Most CU22 have Pattern or Pattern thin Most CU24s have Pattern Regular or pattern Thin

Back