Custom 24 1987 Pickups

GrappaGreen

Hi all,

Does anyone know when PRS introduced the white label multi-tap pickups? I have a 1987 that is unmolested and has these pickups. According to the Burrluck book however they didn't come in until 1989??

Any help appreciated.

Si

Cool! Photos?

Could be a guitar that was started in late 87 but completed in 89. That happened from time to time. Does the serial number in the pickup cavity have the same first number (presumably a 7) as the serial number on the back of the headstock?

Thanks for the feedback. Both the body and headstock have the same serial number..

Here's some pics;

ISyWR7C.jpg

pvHDOVR.jpg

PHXqRDc.jpg

dtMj861.jpg

Hope this helps.

Si

Last edited:
Your guitar features non-standard pickups, that's all the labels are for - to show what's in it. Multi-tap were an option at the time, see image below for specs. So as a guess your guitar left the factory with non-standard pickups (or aquired a set of contemporary multi-taps along the way). Re labels etc - the standard pickups at the time (1987) were Standard Treble and Standard Bass. In 1987 most of these would have been stamped T or B on the back (depending on what they were). The design of the T pickup changes slightly circa mid-'87 and coinciding with this change (but slightly later) the stamping disappears and you have blank-back Standard Treble and Standard Bass pickups (i.e. the baseplate is no longer stamped T or B). Most '87s guitars (with standard pickups) will have stamped T and Bs, most '88 guitars blank-back T and Bs. As per the Burrluck book sometime around 1989 (I'd say a bit later) they started using white labels to identify Standard Treble and Standard Bass pickups.

IMG0966.jpg

Really appreciate the input all. Sadly PRS don't have any records internally on this guitar so how these got to be installed looks like it may remain a bit of a mystery..

Your guitar features non-standard pickups, that's all the labels are for - to show what's in it. Multi-tap were an option at the time, see image below for specs. So as a guess your guitar left the factory with non-standard pickups (or aquired a set of contemporary multi-taps along the way). Re labels etc - the standard pickups at the time (1987) were Standard Treble and Standard Bass. In 1987 most of these would have been stamped T or B on the back (depending on what they were). The design of the T pickup changes slightly circa mid-'87 and coinciding with this change (but slightly later) the stamping disappears and you have blank-back Standard Treble and Standard Bass pickups (i.e. the baseplate is no longer stamped T or B). Most '87s guitars (with standard pickups) will have stamped T and Bs, most '88 guitars blank-back T and Bs. As per the Burrluck book sometime around 1989 (I'd say a bit later) they started using white labels to identify Standard Treble and Standard Bass pickups.

IMG0966.jpg

Thanks for this Collywobbles.

Just re-reading this are you saying that it is correct that a 1987 guitar could have come with these special order pickups installed from the factory? I ask because the previous owner is absolutely sure that when he purchased it new in '87 it was supplied with these. I have no reason to doubt him at all but had read some conflicting information.

Regards,

Si

Thanks for this Collywobbles.

Just re-reading this are you saying that it is correct that a 1987 guitar could have come with these special order pickups installed from the factory? I ask because the previous owner is absolutely sure that when he purchased it new in '87 it was supplied with these. I have no reason to doubt him at all but had read some conflicting information.

Regards,

Si
I believe so - I'd want to look at the wiring etc to form a view if they'd been changed but the multi-taps were an option so my guess is they could (probably) came as factory installed. If you have a copy of the PRS book (my copy got lost in a house move) there is a section on pickups in the back that has details on PUs and dates PUs were available. That should confirm multi-taps were available in '87.

Looks lovely but the price is somewhat optimistic. Try selling it again for that and see how you get on are my immediate thoughts:rolleyes:

Yeah the seller is definitely “toeing” the water!

I just meant for the OP to see that earlier instruments are becoming more appealing and the pickups on board, etc.

Looks lovely but the price is somewhat optimistic. Try selling it again for that and see how you get on are my immediate thoughts:rolleyes:

The seller is defo keeping his fingers crossed on that one. Imagine it will be a long time before anyone comes around paying that sort of money.. It's a nice guitar though but I reckon mine is in better overall condition

Yeah, my thoughts too! I was interested in the colour of the guitar selling online.

They quote VY, but it looks a lot less vibrant than yours. I thought VY was less prone to fading.

Last edited:
Yeah, my thoughts too! I was interested in the colour of the guitar me selling online.

They quote VY, but it looks a lot less vibrant than yours. I thought VY was less prone to fading.

The early ones fade. Depends on how much UV they'e seen. VY also seems to vary a bit. My '88 Sig is marked Vintage Yellow but is very amber. I think the Sig is amber from nicotine / smoke as it's very heavily play-worn / battered so probably saw lots of smokey bars.

Amber looking '88 VY Sig
Pictures659.jpg

Washed out '85 VY
IMG3788.jpg

Back