Custom 24 1987 Pickups

Here's mine in all its glory. Worth bearing in mind it's been in its case for 30 years and had about 6 hours play time before I bought it very recently!

MYVBVv5.jpg

bTIgB7E.jpg

Here's mine in all its glory. Worth bearing in mind it's been in its case for 30 years and had about 6 hours play time before I bought it very recently!

MYVBVv5.jpg

bTIgB7E.jpg

Vey nice. The older guitars (and VY ones like this especially) really appeal to me. I like the old moons much more than birds too.

The early ones fade. Depends on how much UV they'e seen. VY also seems to vary a bit. My '88 Sig is marked Vintage Yellow but is very amber. I think the Sig is amber from nicotine / smoke as it's very heavily play-worn / battered so probably saw lots of smokey bars.

Amber looking '88 VY Sig
Pictures659.jpg

Washed out '85 VY
IMG3788.jpg

I've chopped and changed guitars a lot over the last few years and that is one that got chopped. Strangely having posted pics of it I was thinking I ought to buy it back, or at least try. It's a very early 1985 factory guitar, serial number well inside the first 50 off the line, fitted with 7 and 8 pickups (precursors to T and Bs). Subtly different to even slightly later guitars - the two very early production guitars I've owned have a delicacy to them I've not found in later guitars. The '88 Sig feels like a completely different animal. Much more a 'rock' guitar, different neck shape, and completely different feel. The Brazilian board on the '85 in the second picture was beautiful, very, very high quality. The '85's trem is completely polished and plated, even the back of the inertia block where you load strings. They put a LOT of effort in to the very first guitars. I like the '88 (and bought it back after selling it previously) but it's nothing like the '85.

Last edited:
Back