Crackwood... I AM addicted!

I only have one but it's a nice one.
jYakyRH.jpg

Top's not bad either, except for the blemish that made this become a personal guitar for PRSH.
RhcNG8x.jpg
Love it! I’m a big fan of those little quirks on tops.

I’ve had several crackwood pieces, but I went into a 12 step program and now I’m good with mahogany.

Kudos to those of you who like that crackwood vibe, however. I’m behind you 100%!
If I had to choose between the two I'd take the mahogany as well. To my ears it's more balanced. I've swapped pups in mine twice looking for something...different. I'll try Antiquities next. The feel is incredible though...

Currently all of my remaining PRS guitars each have some form of Brazilian Rosewood on them and all of those Brazilian pieces are uniformly dark (except for the McCarty that’s shown in the photos I posted earlier... it’s Brazilian Rosewood board looks reddish in light). I’ve had 5 such guitars but now I’m down to 4: Two McCartys, one Custom 24, and one 408. I’ve convinced myself that I need just one more Brazzy necked PRS... but it MUST have a Pattern neck and a trem.
Or really close to those specs. If only that DGT neck was bigger.

I prefer Brazilian Rosewood for the feel moreso than any tonal properties. I have found that the particular species of wood feels the same no matter the cut or quality, however, only some of it results in that gorgeous ‘ringiness reverbiness’... my McCarty definitely has this attribute but my first 408 didn’t and it’s brazilian Rosewood neck was just as beautiful as the one of the McCarty.

Currently all of my remaining PRS guitars each have some form of Brazilian Rosewood on them and all of those Brazilian pieces are uniformly dark (except for the McCarty that’s shown in the photos I posted earlier... it’s Brazilian Rosewood board looks reddish in light). I’ve had 5 such guitars but now I’m down to 4: Two McCartys, one Custom 24, and one 408. I’ve convinced myself that I need just one more Brazzy necked PRS... but it MUST have a Pattern neck and a trem.
Or really close to those specs. If only that DGT neck was bigger.

I prefer Brazilian Rosewood for the feel moreso than any tonal properties. I have found that the particular species of wood feels the same no matter the cut or quality, however, only some of it results in that gorgeous ‘ringiness reverbiness’... my McCarty definitely has this attribute but my first 408 didn’t and it’s brazilian Rosewood neck was just as beautiful as the one of the McCarty.
Brazilian is my favorite too, though mostly for the tone. I had a Madagascar RW neck once and it felt just as good and sounded great as well, though a bit different than Braz. Worked well with 57/08s whereas I feel 59/09s are perfect for Braz. Heard good things about Honduran RW necks but haven’t tried one.

Each piece of wood is different and even PS grade can vary significantly. I remember my dealer tone tapping the Braz neck blanks during my PS build for me over the phone and one rang out beautifully and the other not so much. It pays to have experienced folks who know what they are doing!

Back