Confessions of An Ampaholic

TBH, I usually lean into curves, but keep the speed within the reasonable limits of the law.
So... you’re saying that if you’re in a 55mph zone, and a curve sign says “25mph,” as long as I take it 55 or under, it’s ok? I usually take those at 60 or more, but, I take the 35mph ones at 65 or so too. So yeah, I’m staying reasonably within the limits. Remember what I said in the other thread... it’s all perspective. If your car easily takes 25mph curves at 70, 65 is not even pushing it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the bathroom for me today, cosmetic finishing left to do.

The weather we are having, I should be out in the garden and not cutting wood!

Thermometer on phone says 14c but I’d swear it’s nearer 18c, and bright sunshine!

Commiserating with you both; my herb planter brought indoors raised rim with my sinuses Saturday night, so off to the bathroom for a wash-up, then a cuppa decaf tea and a reasonable bedtime. Hasta mañana.

feelings — i have a whole house to finish this month, so tired of it.

At least you're not being distracted. Good luck, I've confidence in you that you'll do well.

So... you’re saying that if you’re in a 55mph zone, and a curve sign says “25mph,” as long as I take it 55 or under, it’s ok? I usually take those at 60 or more, but, I take the 35mph ones at 65 or so too. So yeah, I’m staying resonantly within the limits. Remember what I said in the other thread... it’s all perspective. If your car easily takes 25mph curves at 70, 65 is not even pushing it. :D

Not quite. If the car is traveling along at 50 MPH, and a slight curve occurs, my tendency is to lean towards the curve in my seat. Weather conditions need to be safe to do this, and since I've already taken a safe driving course that has lowered my insurance rates, I try to stick within the limits of the law and not venture outside those limits...ya know, like the limits that wedding ring on your finger strongly suggests?

Not quite. If the car is traveling along at 50 MPH, and a slight curve occurs, my tendency is to lean towards the curve in my seat. Weather conditions need to be safe to do this, and since I've already taken a safe driving course that has lowered my insurance rates, I try to stick within the limits of the law and not venture outside those limits...ya know, like the limits that wedding ring on your finger strongly suggests?
No, actually, you need to possess the experience and knowledge of the limits of your vehicle and when to push them. Same goes for the wedding ring. Experience teaches you more than any internet soapbox.

No, actually, you need to possess the experience and knowledge of the limits of your vehicle and when to push them. Same goes for the wedding ring. Experience teaches you more than any internet soapbox.

I wish that you consider your own pace and try to learn from this.

Probably not a good analogy. Speeding, or maybe not even exceeding the speed limit, but not slowing down for curves, is certainly not a moral sin such as breaking wedding vows would be. Breaking one of those would make me have a hard time living with myself. Breaking the other makes me feel pretty good about myself and harms nobody.

I took a safe driving course as well. It was called "driving a race car." :D Driving on the street is childs play after that.

Probably not a good analogy. Speeding, or maybe not even exceeding the speed limit, but not slowing down for curves, is certainly not a moral sin such as breaking wedding vows would be. Breaking one of those would make me have a hard time living with myself. Breaking the other makes me feel pretty good about myself and harms nobody.

I took a safe driving course as well. It was called "driving a race car." :D Driving on the street is childs play after that.

I see the analogy this way...your parents try to set rules in your house, much like any authorities might...they tell you, "No running in the house!" Sometimes the kids disagree and fight, and the father thinks his fast-paced life should be elsewhere, rather than with his wife...

My feeling is that we should listen to authorities who set the rules for our own good...if that means, "don't speed," it means just this...the alternative is getting pulled over for a warning or citation!

This is the reason why I prefer to pace myself in life and try to listen to what authorities say. Granted, I may question authority, but that does not relieve me of my responsibility to myself or others to drive safely...

When you think of it, is driving really a competition of seeing who can get there first, or is it more a practice of just arriving safely? Thanks for reading...

Last edited:
No, actually, you need to possess the experience and knowledge of the limits of your vehicle and when to push them.
Exactly. There are plenty of places suitable for learning about those limits. It’s good to know what your vehicle can do - a lot more than most people imagine.

The track is the best way to learn how to handle a vehicle. It makes most roads boring, in a good, safe way. Though I do confess to accelerating out of corners on the Fireblade.

When you think of it, is driving really a competition of seeing who can get there first, or is it more a practice of just arriving safely?

Someone needs to get you a helmet and Nomex suit, stick you into a fast car, and put you on a race track, CP.

Of COURSE driving is a competition to see who can arrive first! ;)

I discovered a critical element of amp design that I am now gravitating towards because it affects the feel of how I play: solid state rectification.

All of my guitar amps are tube amps, and the ones that are tube rectified really focus on that vintage sag feel. In the right hands, it sounds classic and great. But in my hands, it feels slow and latent. I don’t get the note when I want it (I want it now). So I had a boutique 6V6 tube head made for me by Bill Landry with solid state rectification and it feels just perfect. So perfect, that he’s making me another head with lower power and EL34 power tubes. Can’t wait to plug that baby in!

I feel like as the tubes get more broken-in on an all-tube head, the sag gets real. It’s a vintage squish that perhaps I’m not worthy of. Not sure what you all notice, but the solid state rectifier fixes it. The pick attack is light speed quick, dynamic and fuller-range sounding to me. I love it.

Someone needs to get you a helmet and Nomex suit, stick you into a fast car, and put you on a race track, CP.

Of COURSE driving is a competition to see who can arrive first! ;)

Thanks, no. My better intuition tells me to take my time and choose wisely. You may do the same, if perhaps you can see the consequences. It's OK, I'll wait, I'm in no hurry.

Back