Confessions of An Ampaholic

Have you been listening to your wife again? :p

Hah! I emerged from my studio cocoon where I’ve been ‘round the clock all winter, and went out to a meeting, and ran a few errands. It was nice enough that I didn’t need a jacket, just a sweater. So when I got back I said, “I had the nicest day. Ran into some old friends, had a meeting, spent a little time outdoors for a change. What a fun day!”

My wife said, “Wait, don’t tell me you discovered that there’s a whole world out there!”

I also got the eyeroll accompaniment.

I’ll concede that it’s possible I need to get out more.

Last edited:
Hah! I emerged from my studio cocoon where I’ve been ‘round the clock all winter, and went out to a meeting, and run a few errands. It was nice enough that I didn’t need a jacket, just a sweater. So when I got back I said, “I had the nicest day. Ran into some old friends, had a meeting, spent a little time outdoors for a change. What a fun day!”

My wife said, “Wait, don’t tell me you discovered that there’s a whole world out there!”

I also got the eyeroll accompaniment.

I’ll concede that it’s possible I need to get out more.

I've been accused of being a vampire.

I did music for the last Oldsmobile North American international auto show booth. Pretty sure that’s what made GM kill the brand. :(

YOU are responsible for the death of Oldsmobubble?

I will not rest until I have hunted you down and...:eek:

Ru Paul says otherwise.

HA! GOT 'IM!

Man, you cannot fathom how pissed off I was the first time I seen that show on the TV guide.
I got buddies over, we're slingin beers after the game, this crap comes on and I'm like "Hold up, let's see what's on the other channels...Ru Paul?...Oh, hell, yeah! Let's watch this Ru Paul's Drag Race!...WTF?!?? HEY, MAN, WTF IS THIS B.S.?!?!"

Hooo, you boys think I swear too much online? F with me about cars, bro. I'll go off and come UnFreakinGlued. And then the actual subject matter of the show...?

Oh, I lost it.

In that moment, I understood why Elvis shot his TV! I was ready to shoot mine!

I lost all faith in the human race that night...:oops:

Today a box arrived at Chez AR! Unfortunately not for me.

I should perhaps tell you that a few months ago, my Pops-in-law helped my cousin sort some personal business.

To show his gratitude, my cousin came to me for help to source a valve amp for my Pops-in-law.

After much deliberation, we selected a Blackstar HT5r. Apologies for the non-PRSness.

So this evening I called my cousin, telling him the amp had arrived. Together we went to visit my Pops-in-law. I went into his house, telling him I had treated myself to a new practice amp. He asked how Mrs AR had reacted and I told him that she would just have to accept it!

So we began to unpack it, as it was fired up and his guitar was plugged in, my cousin “fessed” up and told him it was a gift for him.

Pops IL WAS speechless and very pleased.

It is his first foray into the world of the valve amp and plenty loud enough for his needs. It was priceless to see his reaction.

Ok not that exciting I know, but we got a buzz from his reaction.

At least I’m good at something.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I’m sure my wife would say the same about me. She blames me for everything. She thinks I shot JFK AND Lennon! I think she’s losing it though. She also thinks I shot JR. I’ve never even BEEN to Dallas, and if I were, he’s the last one I would have been looking for. Unless he still had Jeanie.

Last edited by a moderator:

I should perhaps tell you that a few months ago, my Pops-in-law helped my cousin sort some personal business.

To show his gratitude, my cousin came to me for help to source a valve amp for my Pops-in-law.

After much deliberation, we selected a Blackstar HT5r. Apologies for the non-PRSness.

So this evening I called my cousin, telling him the amp had arrived. Together we went to visit my Pops-in-law. I went into his house, telling him I had treated myself to a new practice amp. He asked how Mrs AR had reacted and I told him that she would just have to accept it!

So we began to unpack it, as it was fired up and his guitar was plugged in, my cousin “fessed” up and told him it was a gift for him.

It is his first foray into the world of the valve amp and plenty loud enough for his needs. It was priceless to see his reaction.

That’s a great story, uncle Reuben!

(In before Scott tries to claim you’re some relative of his!).

Oh, and BS on “not that exciting.” That’s a great story and I’m sure he was thrilled. I’ve heard those amps and they are good. Much of my life I would have loved to have one, and I’d still take one now. Hopefully we aren’t so jaded with all our “stuff” that we don’t still get excited when someone gets a nice amp like that. I’m actually more excited about someone getting their first core, or even SE, or good amp or whatever, than I am for some of the guys who have tons of stuff getting “another one.” Because in my mind, it IS a bigger deal to the guy getting his first good guitar or amp. I was literally speechless for a few minutes when my wife bought me my first PRS. She finally said “are you going to say anything?” I’ll never forget that feeling.

HA! GOT 'IM!

Man, you cannot fathom how pissed off I was the first time I seen that show on the TV guide.
I got buddies over, we're slingin beers after the game, this crap comes on and I'm like "Hold up, let's see what's on the other channels...Ru Paul?...Oh, hell, yeah! Let's watch this Ru Paul's Drag Race!...WTF?!?? HEY, MAN, WTF IS THIS B.S.?!?!"

Hooo, you boys think I swear too much online? F with me about cars, bro. I'll go off and come UnFreakinGlued. And then the actual subject matter of the show...?

Oh, I lost it.

Oh wow, that sounds like an intense experience! What happened after that?

Standing up clapping at this moment. Ok, technically typing, but I stood up and clapped before I replied!

YOU are responsible for the death of Oldsmobubble?

I will not rest until I have hunted you down and...:eek:

HA! GOT 'IM!

Oh, I lost it.

Daily eye roll

Great story

Wonderful thing to be part of!

Great thread, Les

Going all the way back to the OP, I'm sure you'll be fine wheeling into the old folks' home with a bunch of guitar gear.

Look at the bright side
Nobody in there will have the strength or energy to steal anything. Especially not big heavy bulky combo amps.

Great thread, Les

Going all the way back to the OP, I'm sure you'll be fine wheeling into the old folks' home with a bunch of guitar gear.

Look at the bright side
Nobody in there will have the strength or energy to steal anything. Especially not big heavy bulky combo amps.

That is SO TRUE!

I have a weird corollary to that. Last year we had the interior of the house painted. The studio didn’t need paint, but the guy was also an electrician, and I asked him to install an extra AC outlet in the room, which he did, but he brought a friend who’s probably a bit younger than me to do stuff like hold the ladder while he fished the wires, etc.

When the friend got into the room and spotted the amps, he said, “Wow! Are those antique jukeboxes?”

I was like, no, they’re guitar amplifiers.

“They look just like antique jukeboxes.”

“Well, they don’t have rows of buttons where you pick a record to play, and there’s no glass window to watch the record spin or anything the old jukeboxes had.”

“Gosh, they look like antique jukeboxes to me.”

So there you are. Amplifiers? Heck no. I’m an antique jukebox collector. :rolleyes:

You’re right. Lots of older (ahem) people don’t even know what a guitar amplifier IS.

That is SO TRUE!

I have a weird corollary to that. Last year we had the interior of the house painted. The studio didn’t need paint, but the guy was also an electrician, and I asked him to install an extra AC outlet in the room, which he did, but he brought a friend who’s probably a bit younger than me to do stuff like hold the ladder while he fished the wires, etc.

When the friend got into the room and spotted the amps, he said, “Wow! Are those antique jukeboxes?”

I was like, no, they’re guitar amplifiers.

“They look just like antique jukeboxes.”

“Well, they don’t have rows of buttons where you pick a record to play, and there’s no glass window to watch the record spin or anything the old jukeboxes had.”

“Gosh, they look like antique jukeboxes to me.”

So there you are. Amplifiers? Heck no. I’m an antique jukebox collector. :rolleyes:

You’re right. Lots of older (ahem) people don’t even know what a guitar amplifier IS.
And you let this dude work on your house??? :eek:

Back