Choosing a the right PRS SE model for me

Dan Corner

Okay here goes, played different sucky electrics years ago, not even worth mentioning and since then I've pretty much only played acoustics but its starting to limit the range of what im able to play.

But now im looking to invest my money PRS SE as they seem like the most bang for your buck.

My budget is £500-£700

I enjoy playing hard rock kind of jams, rocky bluesy stuff i guess, not so much metal but maybe thats because ive not used an electric in such a long time and i'm definitely not into shredding.

I like the look of PRS SE 245 and PRS SE SC. which one of these or other SE models should i go for?

Welcome Dan!

I would recommend the 245, they're just a little more luxurious, dual vol/tone controls and a bit thicker body to fatten up the tone a bit. And if you get a chance, check out some of the 245 based sig models!!! The Marsden, Akesson, Myers, and Tremonti Custom are all favorites here, and feature some special upgrades that come at no extra cost!

And don't forget stop back here often! Nice to have you on board!

Thanks you both Andy and Corey for your advice and tips,

Now I guess im thinking along the lines of PRS SE 245, seen this limited edition one in whale blue with a quilted maple top *drools*

That Zach Myers one is nice but i don't think i'd want some guys name on the headstock, maybe that sounds odd but, dunno just me.. not much of a fan guy..

That Zach Myers one is nice but i don't think i'd want some guys name on the headstock, maybe that sounds odd but, dunno just me.. not much of a fan guy..

I totally get this, that is why I am so glad I am not getting the Zach Myers but a proper Hollowbody instead. Enough about me though. The only name to have on your head stock is PRS :)

The SE245 is a crazy good guitar, way more value for money than anything in that price range.

don't think i'd want some guys name on the headstock, maybe that sounds odd but, dunno just me.. not much of a fan guy..
I agree you should never buy ANYTHING because of a name. That said, I don't care who's name is on the headstock...Tone and playability are King

I totally get this, that is why I am so glad I am not getting the Zach Myers but a proper Hollowbody instead.

:iamconfused: Are you saying the addition of pigment in the form of letters on the headstock makes the ZM improper? Or that it's just a semi hollow and you want a full hollow ?

I see you're into the singlecuts. The SE 245 will do you well. They can do jazzy cleans, weeping blues solo, or even raise hell when you turn up the gain. One thing you should consider is the weight. I love the SE 245, but the weight has been putting me off from getting one. Other similar models to the 245 are the SE Bernie Marsden, SE Zach Myers and the SE Fredrik Akesson. IMO many people overlook all these nice signature models because they don't like having names on their headstocks. Having names on the headstock may be bugging you, but after all, lots of people playing those signature guitars don't even know who the artists are! It's all down to buying a great guitar, so ticking them off because of the names on the headstock could mean you're throwing away some great opportunities!

Have fun hunting for The Chosen One! :beer:

I see you're into the singlecuts. The SE 245 will do you well. They can do jazzy cleans, weeping blues solo, or even raise hell when you turn up the gain. One thing you should consider is the weight. I love the SE 245, but the weight has been putting me off from getting one. Other similar models to the 245 are the SE Bernie Marsden, SE Zach Myers and the SE Fredrik Akesson. IMO many people overlook all these nice signature models because they don't like having names on their headstocks. Having names on the headstock may be bugging you, but after all, lots of people playing those signature guitars don't even know who the artists are! It's all down to buying a great guitar, so ticking them off because of the names on the headstock could mean you're throwing away some great opportunities!

Have fun hunting for The Chosen One! :beer:

Yeah you've got some good points max, so much to choose from its pretty damn confusing, yeah i like the single cut look and I've researched abit into build materials aswell and found out that a mahogany body with a maple top is a winning combo, think the PRS SE 245 is like a les paul but better made with a modern twist, im definately gonna mull over all the sig models though aswell.

:iamconfused: Are you saying the addition of pigment in the form of letters on the headstock makes the ZM improper? Or that it's just a semi hollow and you want a full hollow ?

No not at all, the ZM is a great guitar as most SE's are. I was going to get one, but my wife said yes to a SCHBII. I am thrilled as you can imagine. You see I am full of s&@#, and prefer core line over SE, nothing more than personal preference. Sorry if I offended.

No not at all, the ZM is a great guitar as most SE's are. I was going to get one, but my wife said yes to a SCHBII. I am thrilled as you can imagine. You see I am full of s&@#, and prefer core line over SE, nothing more than personal preference. Sorry if I offended.

I'm not offended. That's just one less person between me and one of the ZMs.

The "John Beef Headstock Mod" takes care of someone's unwanted name on the headstock.

IMG_3122.jpg

Haha i like that alot...... shame you cant just place an order for exactly how you want on your SE model maybe pay an extra few 100 more...

Hey Dan, welcome to the forum!

My first bit of advice is always...

Play as many of the models as you can and go with the one that speaks to you the most! :)

After that...

I can't recommend the Bernie Marsden enough! Differences between the Bernie and the 245 is the slightly chunkier neck... Just seems to give the guitar a little more 'beef' in my opinion. Other differences are more cosmetic such as binding on the neck of the Bernie and the 3 knob layout compared to the 245's more traditional 4. The Bernie is somewhat based on Bernie Marsdens famous Les Paul 'The Beast'. The 245, ZM and Bernie all feature the Se 245 pups which are just great for rock and blues but also do cleans very well.

This is my demo of the Bernie:

It shows just how good these guitars are when you have the likes of Bernie taking them on stage with the likes of Whitesnake and Joe Bonamassa. You cannot go wrong with an SE with your budget... A LOT of guitar for the money!

Best of luck with whichever choice you make.. You WILL have a great guitar!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back