CE vs core vs S2

horax

Hey all,
I’m considering selling my 70th anniversary broadcaster for a prs.

Should bring in around 2k. As such, I’m looking at a CE or S2. Don’t think I’ll find a used core for that much.
How would you compare the three lines?

Think I remember you from the old Agile forum. I am a PRS convert. All I own now except a couple builds I am working on. I own a couple S2’s at the moment as well as an older CE. Owned a newer CE for a very short period.

My opinion is based on the CE and S2’s only. Finish is better on the CE models. Not implying that the S2 has a bad finish. Build quality is about the same between the newer CE and S2’s. My older model CE has that just something extra in feel and playability to it. Pickups were better on the newer CE. Fret work was identical on the newer models CE and S2’s, which is very good. Both of the CE’s have the Wide/Thin neck and my S2’s have the Pattern Regular. Closest I could the compare the Pattern Regular to is an older Agile AL neck. But not as thin as 5/8”, and not as wide as 11/16”. Nice fretboard to back of the neck thickness though. I prefer the feel of the S2 necks. Personal thing. I also prefer the feel of my older CE model over the newer one as well. There are those that prefer the feel of the newer model, so there’s that. Then there is the 22 fret or 24 fret issue to deal with.

These are just my opinions. Others here have years more experience with PRS as well as Core model experience, and could probably have different options. And I have zero issues with different opinions. Hope this helps.

Find a late ‘90s or early 2000s Used core McCarty for that much, hands down. There are gorgeous ones for that price on reverb right meow.

I agree with Sergio above...S2s are awesome and I play my Standard 22 the most...stock pups and all....OP, used S2s are going for under a grand and Daves guitar shop in LA Crosse WI has a bunch as well as GC used site...ive bought from both...

So much depends on the particular models you’re interested in. Especially if you‘re considering used as well as new.

Things like the above are outliers, but if it’s what floats your boat that sort of thing isn’t any sort of compromise.

Sergio summed up the difference in the Core, S2, and SE product lines very well. I’d suggest that the current Bolt-On line is a nice compromise between cost/appearance/sound/feel, but that it’s a line that isn’t as fleshed-out model-wise.

I agree with Sergio above...S2s are awesome and I play my Standard 22 the most...stock pups and all....OP, used S2s are going for under a grand and Daves guitar shop in LA Crosse WI has a bunch as well as GC used site...ive bought from both...
OP, no offense to RC Mike, but GC used guitars are a russian roulette. Would stay away unless its like...stupid good pricing. Check your local FB marketplace listings too. I scored a Vela last year for $800 on FB.

OP, no offense to RC Mike, but GC used guitars are a russian roulette. Would stay away unless its like...stupid good pricing. Check your local FB marketplace listings too. I scored a Vela last year for $800 on FB.

It’s no skin off my back if someone doesn’t like Guitar Center. I hadn’t mentioned them in this thread.

Eat sleep i mentioned GC and you're right about it being roulette but I've scored a few mint PRS there for dirt cheap over what guys on reverb are asking for a used instrument....BUT I've also had to return a few to my local GC so its not a loss if its a POS...I did buy a few guitars from Daves that I would swear were brand new....

Eat sleep i mentioned GC and you're right about it being roulette but I've scored a few mint PRS there for dirt cheap over what guys on reverb are asking for a used instrument....BUT I've also had to return a few to my local GC so its not a loss if its a POS...I did buy a few guitars from Daves that I would swear were brand new....
I trust Dave’s 100%. PRS dealers are held to a pretty high standard by the man himself

I know prices are all over the board lately and some are just stupid but depending on the model you can find plenty of core in that price range. Not sure which model you are looking at but they are out there.. especially with a little patience, cash, and willingness to drive. I've scored some smokin deals just for driving a little ways with cash in hand and being a decent guy to the seller.

So much depends on the particular models you’re interested in. Especially if you‘re considering used as well as new.

Things like the above are outliers, but if it’s what floats your boat that sort of thing isn’t any sort of compromise.

The outliers are where it's at! Good deals and interesting sounds and I can guarantee if you play something like that out, no one will know what it is.

I've owned a fair number of PRS over the years - not nearly as many as some folks on this board, but enough that I have a good grasp on them, from SE to Core. Never owned a Private Stock...

That said, the 3 I own currently are all S2. 2 Velas and an S2 CU22. These are keepers - I love the feel of the S2 beveled body on the CU22, and Velas are just flat out magical guitars. I did own a recent CE, as well as a few older ones, and they're definitely great guitars as well, but I've found my sweet spot in the S2 line.

Your money, your choice, but since you asked...

For 2K I would avoid the import SE and the US made SE (aka the ‘S2’) and get either a CE or a used core. A used core (in mint condition) will be so much nicer than all the other options though.

Back