CE vs core vs S2

^ it may not be an insult calling a S2 a USA made SE, but it IS totally inaccurate and thoroughly misleading.

So there’s that.

Why the S2 body shape is unlike it’s namesake in core and SE lines befuddles me.

…and no, I do not accept cost.. check out Les Paul Studio lines..

^ it may not be an insult calling a S2 a USA made SE, but it IS totally inaccurate and thoroughly misleading.

So there’s that.

Why the S2 body shape is unlike it’s namesake in core and SE lines befuddles me.

…and no, I do not accept cost.. check out Les Paul Studio lines..

How is misleading? It's made in the US with electronics, hardware, techniques, and body shapes used on the SE line. SE now even has a shallow violin carve on the 24-08.

What's the real kicker is when people compare S2 to PS. Couldn't be further apart in the same building.

Last edited:
I'm not knocking S2 at all. Sure, I used to not understand them and was in either get the SE or Core camp. Now I'm a fan of S2, and even bigger one for certain S2 models. Vela!!! The quality of fretboard wood is what truly won me over. What I'm not a fan of is people thinking they are elite owning a S2 or SE is lesser because import. S2 rock and so do SE. They all share PRS DNA.

I picked up a CE and I’m loving it. I had an s2 singlecut standard that was awesome, but the #7s pickups were quite muddy.

Looking at the body carve in the CE, it doesn’t appear to be as close to the carve in the core as I expected. It has the lip from the core but the body carve appears to be closer to an se, actually.

The s2 has a different carve altogether but I think it’s preferable.

If they made the s2 like with USA made pickups they would be the best selling guitar in their stable I think.

I have all 3 lines and the core and S2 are closer as far as playability than the S2 and SE....my SE is Indonesian and my S2 is a way nicer experience to play on.....

How is misleading? It's made in the US with electronics, hardware, techniques, and body shapes used on the SE line. SE now even has a shallow violin carve on the 24-08.

What's the real kicker is when people compare S2 to PS. Couldn't be further apart in the same building.

The outline is the same, but the S2 do not have the same carve as the core or SE..so they are not alike.

I suppose these various misconceptions about the SE guitars being inferior will last as long as the guitars do. Personally I think the whole thing is moronic, but whatever.

Maybe if one day John Mayer were to play an SE on stage or something... oh, wait...

This old argument always sucks me in even when I say no more... Some day I'll learn.

All PRS lines are PRS. Period. If it says PRS On the Headstock it's a PRS. Leave the country of origin to the economic debates.

-PRS has its own factory in Indo that mimic the Maryland process. Check out the official YT videos.
-SE fret work is top notch. All guitars vary. I have an SE that has as good as any PRS I've played. I have an S2 that has fret work worse, but still awesome, than many PRS I've played, own, and owned.
-S2 Fret attention is top notch but the fret material does appear to be different, I have a S2 with more fret wear than any PRS I own. Not complaining, but even the tap test has a different ring on S2 than core. But I have cores that the tap test varies as well, though wear is consistent with play time between all of the core.
-SE/S2 share electronics including pickups with cost saving variances.
-There is a bigger sound difference between Core and S2 and than SE and S2. Electronics are electronics.
-S2 sound great and SE Sound damn good as well. Neither are to the level of articulation of Core. Core opens ears.
-SE/S2 Share cost saving manufacturing techniques. I don't see scarf joints on core. Not knocking scarf, but money has to be saved.
-S2 may have the same wood supplier as Core but it is for the most part a lesser grade than the rest of Maryland. PRS paints Core solid colors for this reason as well. Not a knock, but its a fact that Maryland grades wood.

It's not an insult by calling an S2 a US made SE. The SE and S2 share as much or near as S2 and Core, Its an accurate statement not a derogatory one. If anything its a compliment to PRS for providing us such great instruments at price points. Play what you want and know there's winners and losers between individual guitars no matter the title in the line...

For the record. I have a SE HB2 on order. S2 Thinline is next on the list and a Core 5xx is my next major guitar purchase. or maybe a core Studio but trying to talk myself into a S2 Studio so I can have all 4.
IIRC, the pickups between SE and S2 are not the same. They made be wound to the same spec, but I believe S2 are made by G&B, while SE pickups are made in some other south-eastern facility, possibly in the same factory as the guitars.

IIRC, the pickups between SE and S2 are not the same. They made be wound to the same spec, but I believe S2 are made by G&B, while SE pickups are made in some other south-eastern facility, possibly in the same factory as the guitars.
Same. Both G&B a subsidery of KHL corporation.

Same. Both G&B a subsidery of KHL corporation.
Duncan Designed pickups are also based on the same specs as specific duncan pickups. They dont say Seymour Duncan though.

Baseplates on the S2s look nickel-silver. SE appear to be brass. The G&B pickup "stickers" are not the same as SE pickup stickers. Wouldnt they be if they were wound by the same people? And if theyre not wound by the same people, are they really the same pickups?

Not trying to start a fight, just speculating.

Sound quality is of course subjective, so Im not commenting on that. Just that I'm fairly certain they are not totally equivalent pickups in the same way that a SD Seth Lover and a Fralin Pure PAF are both low output, similar DCR AL2 plain-enamel 42-gauge wound pickups, and share a formula, but are not the same.

Duncan Designed pickups are also based on the same specs as specific duncan pickups. They dont say Seymour Duncan though.

Baseplates on the SEs look nickel-silver. S2 appear to be brass. The G&B pickup "stickers" are not the same as SE pickup stickers. Wouldnt they be if they were wound by the same people? And if theyre not wound by the same people, are they really the same pickups?

Not trying to start a fight, just speculating.

Sound quality is of course subjective, so Im not commenting on that. Just that I'm fairly certain they are not totally equivalent pickups in the same way that a SD Seth Lover and a Fralin Pure PAF are both low output, similar DCR AL2 plain-enamel 42-gauge wound pickups, and share a formula, but are not the same.
I obviously don't look at all G&B pickups like I wouldn't look at Duncan designed pickups very close either. They both use the same G&B pickups. I have a set of SE G&B sitting in a drawer with brass base plates stamped G&B. Stickers are stickers. Even core change stickers over the years.

G&B is loosely the same as Duncan Designed. Made by KHL corporation. The same company that makes Artec. I'd guess it's more changing specs over the years or maybe even suppliers.

I'm not looking to start a fight either man. It's all good. G&B or as PRS calls the "S" pickups are PRS version of Duncan Designed. If you have 85/15s in a S2 or SE they are the same. Nothing wrong with that either, if they work for someone they work. I happen to like some of them myself. I'd only pull the Starla S pickup from my Vela for a Core Starla pickup. Someone else might want a TV Jones or something.

Last edited:
I obviously don't look at all G&B pickups like I wouldn't look at Duncan designed pickups very close either. They both use the same G&B pickups. I have a set of SE G&B sitting in a drawer with brass base plates stamped G&B. Stickers are stickers. Even core change stickers over the years.

G&B is loosely the same as Duncan Designed. Made by KHL corporation. The same company that makes Artec. I'd guess it's more changing specs over the years or maybe even suppliers.

I'm not looking to start a fight either man. It's all good. G&B or as PRS calls the "S" pickups are PRS version of Duncan Designed. If you have 85/15s in a S2 or SE they are the same. Nothing wrong with that either, if they work for someone they work. I happen to like some of them myself. I'd only pull the Starla S pickup from my Vela for a Core Starla pickup. Someone else might want a TV Jones or something.
I also ripped the S2 Starla out of my Vela. Been watching reverb like a Hawk for a core, but I suspect it will never be found.
About to cut the pickguard for a hum in the neck and put a #10 set in. I like the Type D for what it is, but I’ve been through several bridge pickups with it and the middle position is just meh with it.

I also ripped the S2 Starla out of my Vela. Been watching reverb like a Hawk for a core, but I suspect it will never be found.
About to cut the pickguard for a hum in the neck and put a #10 set in. I like the Type D for what it is, but I’ve been through several bridge pickups with it and the middle position is just meh with it.

I dig the type D, but it's also it's own beast and unlike anything else I have in a neck pickup.. I sometimes think maybe a firebird in the neck but just can't bring myself to do it.

It'll be cool to hear your report on HH in a Vela. Looking forward to it!

objects are three dimensional objects.. being the "same" in one dimension does not make an equivalency. they are not the same so let it go.
Keep twisting your words to suit your logic all you want. I'm out.

Last edited:
I dig the type D, but it's also it's own beast and unlike anything else I have in a neck pickup.. I sometimes think maybe a firebird in the neck but just can't bring myself to do it.

It'll be cool to hear your report on HH in a Vela. Looking forward to it!
I have a Vela with a Dimarzio in the bridge ...sounds awesome and have nothing to compare it to as I bought it used like this.

Do you know what Dimarzio?
I dont lol...I know its not a super distortion though by the looks...im having the tone nob replaced in a week and ill find out..I bought the guitar like new...almost as if someone bought the guitar, replaced to pup and then decided to sell it...had zero wear and tags and stickers were still on...but I got a great deal so I took the risk...the pupnin med output...

By the way, woods at Stevensville are graded for looks. That’s quite different from “quality.” They don’t use bad wood, period. The frets? My luthier (former PRS factory & Roberto Venn trained) believes they are the same material. They will however, use different fret profiles on some of their guitars.

Back