CE vs core vs S2

I have some at each level that are keepers. I’ve also had some at each level that I couldn’t bond with, and I’m a PRS junkie. Find the one that speaks to you. My #1 is a used core, with an identical NOS guitar from the same run as a backup. My #2 is a magic SE.

I've owned a fair number of PRS over the years - not nearly as many as some folks on this board, but enough that I have a good grasp on them, from SE to Core. Never owned a Private Stock...

That said, the 3 I own currently are all S2. 2 Velas and an S2 CU22. These are keepers - I love the feel of the S2 beveled body on the CU22, and Velas are just flat out magical guitars. I did own a recent CE, as well as a few older ones, and they're definitely great guitars as well, but I've found my sweet spot in the S2 line.
The Velas really are stupid good value. The pattern reg. Neck should really be on more core guitars. It’s absolutely the best neck profile I’ve ever touched.

S2 594 are a crazy good deal. I LOVE the thinline (my avatar) and the regular 594s. Velas are good too. Otherwise I say go CE for a custom 24 or SE Zach Myers w/crazy upgrades and plenty of money left.

It’s hard to go wrong.

OP I just saw there is an S2 594 at Daves for a killer price!
Yeah I saw that! I can't believe how much value the S2's lose immediately, so it seems.
I did order a CE24...but if that doesn't bond I'll go for an S2 594

I honestly enjoy my S2 satins more than my Cores. The Cores are pretty, but the tone of the S2 satins is great, and the neck profiles, while the same on paper, aren't; and the S2s fit my hand better. No grain filler + thin finish = great tone. Also, if you can find one, the CE24 Satins (no maple top, no grain filler, thin nitro) are killer as well. Also doesn't bother me one bit to route the pickguard and body for a middle single coil on the S2s, which I'd never do on a Core.

US made SE (aka the ‘S2’)

I have to take exception with that. The S2s get the same attention to detail on fretboard prep and frets that the Cores do. They just have different hardware and more plain tops. They don't play worse, they don't sound worse, they are made very well. I have S2 up through PS and honestly the best playing and sounding PRSs I own are satin S2s and Satin no-maple-top CEs, not my Core or PS. The Core and PS are just prettier.

I have to take exception with that. The S2s get the same attention to detail on fretboard prep and frets that the Cores do. They just have different hardware and more plain tops. They don't play worse, they don't sound worse, they are made very well. I have S2 up through PS and honestly the best playing and sounding PRSs I own are satin S2s and Satin no-maple-top CEs, not my Core or PS. The Core and PS are just prettier.
I concur 24fretter....

What exactly are you taking exception to?

If you prefer your S2 to your PS then good for you!

What exactly are you taking exception to?

If you prefer your S2 to your PS then good for you!
Calling them a US made SE. SEs are modestly priced imports at modestly priced import quality levels that are shaped like a PRS and have PRS design. S2s are US factory made at US factory quality levels. Real PRS without the bling. Nothing coming out of the SE line has the level of attention to the neck and frets that the US factory has.

I took your comment to imply that the quality level is comparable, and it isn't. Bang for the buck, they compare quite favorably to other guitars in their price range. Nowadays, it's hard to find anything that isn't an import for what you can get an S2 for (know how to shop! If you're paying MAP, you're doing it wrong!)

This is the same reply I often give to this question - pick the guitar with the specs that you want first, and worry about what line it comes from after that. Each line has some things that set them apart; CE's have maple/bolt on necks, S2's have Velas and Standards, Core has, well, all the things Core has. But, in my experience owning almost everything short of Private Stock, the thing that sticks is that you really can't get a bad guitar if you get a guitar that speaks to your wants/needs. Sure, if you want a Custom 24, look for a used Core. But, if you want a CE or a Vela, do that. Can't go wrong if you just look for what you really want.

Calling them a US made SE. SEs are modestly priced imports at modestly priced import quality levels that are shaped like a PRS and have PRS design. S2s are US factory made at US factory quality levels. Real PRS without the bling. Nothing coming out of the SE line has the level of attention to the neck and frets that the US factory has.

I took your comment to imply that the quality level is comparable, and it isn't. Bang for the buck, they compare quite favorably to other guitars in their price range. Nowadays, it's hard to find anything that isn't an import for what you can get an S2 for (know how to shop! If you're paying MAP, you're doing it wrong!)

This old argument always sucks me in even when I say no more... Some day I'll learn.

All PRS lines are PRS. Period. If it says PRS On the Headstock it's a PRS. Leave the country of origin to the economic debates.

-PRS has its own factory in Indo that mimic the Maryland process. Check out the official YT videos.
-SE fret work is top notch. All guitars vary. I have an SE that has as good as any PRS I've played. I have an S2 that has fret work worse, but still awesome, than many PRS I've played, own, and owned.
-S2 Fret attention is top notch but the fret material does appear to be different, I have a S2 with more fret wear than any PRS I own. Not complaining, but even the tap test has a different ring on S2 than core. But I have cores that the tap test varies as well, though wear is consistent with play time between all of the core.
-SE/S2 share electronics including pickups with cost saving variances.
-There is a bigger sound difference between Core and S2 and than SE and S2. Electronics are electronics.
-S2 sound great and SE Sound damn good as well. Neither are to the level of articulation of Core. Core opens ears.
-SE/S2 Share cost saving manufacturing techniques. I don't see scarf joints on core. Not knocking scarf, but money has to be saved.
-S2 may have the same wood supplier as Core but it is for the most part a lesser grade than the rest of Maryland. PRS paints Core solid colors for this reason as well. Not a knock, but its a fact that Maryland grades wood.

It's not an insult by calling an S2 a US made SE. The SE and S2 share as much or near as S2 and Core, Its an accurate statement not a derogatory one. If anything its a compliment to PRS for providing us such great instruments at price points. Play what you want and know there's winners and losers between individual guitars no matter the title in the line...

For the record. I have a SE HB2 on order. S2 Thinline is next on the list and a Core 5xx is my next major guitar purchase. or maybe a core Studio but trying to talk myself into a S2 Studio so I can have all 4.

Last edited:
Back