Car Shopping: Anything Good?

I drove a 2019(?) Touring (top of the line) model today.

piujxuj.jpg

Paco’s car seat fit well and there was enough room up front that my knees still had about 2-3 inches of space between them and the dash.

HecQbFX.jpg

I called an old family friend who has one for advice, and to see how he liked his, and he was gracious enough to pop over with it to let me take it for a spin.

It was a pleasant experience, and I got to drive it for longer than a dealer test drive. He let me shoot it over potholes, drive it into my garage (it fits!), and entertained my son the whole time.

I think I enjoyed it more than he did.

dMhei1p.jpg

Now I just have to send my wife out to buy it.
The ones I've seen only have 1.5 liter engines. How much does your gear weigh?

My wife and I went to the Honda dealer yesterday, and my wife took a test drive. She’s in love.

We had the Ben Carson of car dealers though... nice guy, kinda dense, and not much of a salesperson. I think I knew as much or more about the car than he did, and he couldn’t keep our names, options, or even the color we wanted straight.

Ben: What color do you want?

Me:Anything but blue.

Ben: Here’s a blue one.

The issue I’m kinda having is that with the options we want, it puts us in the price range of that TourX I want. The dealership isn’t the cheapest around (I used to work there when I was 20-ish) and CR-Vs are so popular there weren’t any 2018 NOS ones on the lot or anything.

The good thing is that while we’re geeked to get a new whip, we’re not rushing into anything. So when Ben asked: “What day do you see yourselves buying this car?” I replied: “The day you call us with a price we like.” :rolleyes:

It may be different in states, but when we got our last crv, we went online honda uk and bought top of range one from another part of country, 1 year old and lots of depreciation off, delivered to local dealer. We traded in our oldet crv against it for only 5k off what we had bought it for 4 years before too, and the honda before that also kept ridiculous value after 6 years

Just got a second car, low milage golf for 7k off list, few months old

Pays to internet shop......you have form ;)

I'd suggest a Mazda3 Hatchback sport package.

My ride is the same, a 2005 that has held up well over the years with only minimal maintenance, save for the occasional shock absorber, brake rotors, tie rod, and seasonal tires. And, oh yes, some major $5K body work that replaced rusted panel parts.

My ride has an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust system guaranteed for the life of the car, with transferable warranty. It's also got a K&M air filter system put in by the original owner that makes the car sportier and adds to the gas mileage.

Purchased the car used with 17K miles on it in 2007. The car now has about 93K on it and shows little to no signs of internal wearing out. Am completely happy with this car, because it's fun to drive, gets me from points A to B, has good gas mileage, and only occasionally requires regularly scheduled maintenance.

Only thing I can think of it might need more recently is a car wash and some vacuuming from going down some dirt roads.

Last edited:
A funny thing happened with Mrs new car. She picked what she wanted a couple of months ago and walked away from the deal because they wanted $250 too much (in the form of a lowball trade value).

Last week she went back and got $1,700 better price and $500 more for her trade. As the paperwork was being written up, the salesperson said “If you can wait two weeks for delivery, you can save another $1,000”. That will teach them not to give her the right price the first time.

After we bought our, my in laws liked it so much, they traded in their Mercedes Benz SUV and bought the CR-V with touring package.
I traded my Jag for the Accord. And, I use the remote start all the time! Even Mrs. B uses the remote start, specially in the winter. In fact, we’re moving the rest of my stored business crap out of the garage so her CRV can be in there with the P car. Then she’ll only need to use the seat warmers in the coming months.

A funny thing happened with Mrs new car. She picked what she wanted a couple of months ago and walked away from the deal because they wanted $250 too much (in the form of a lowball trade value).

Last week she went back and got $1,700 better price and $500 more for her trade. As the paperwork was being written up, the salesperson said “If you can wait two weeks for delivery, you can save another $1,000”. That will teach them not to give her the right price the first time.
Nice lesson in the time value of money right there :)

There was a comment about the service writer and shop, and I agree. The only time I had my encore in was for a broken seat cable that moved the drivers seat. Had to wait for the part as this is Hawaii and nothing is available when you want it. Take it in, gets fixed. I get some dings on the plastic seat support covers and a small scratch on the back door where they get in a hurry. I take it back and show the service writer. I didn't wait for an answer. I said " see this and this".. " I realize this isn't one of your 95,000 dollar caddies you have round here, but it's MY 95,000 dollar caddie and if you can't respect it, I can't respect nor expect you to treat it as such. It kind of turned his head, and robert has been a great adviser since. Sometimes it just takes bringing the obvious to their attention in a sea of mistreated cars.

HECK YEAH! Mrs. V has teeth! I like her!:)

HECK YEAH! Mrs. V has teeth! I like her!:)

Women can be bada$$es in these situations. Years ago, we were trying to buy our first minivan. The dealer we were talking to was dragging things out and trying to get us to buy. They brought the sales manager in and he asked what it would take to get us to make the deal. My wife said, "Come down another $1000 on the price." The guy said, "I can't do that." My wife didn't miss a beat - she just said, "Then you shouldn't have asked the question, should you?" Ended up walking out on that one.

Back