Car Shopping: Anything Good?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sergiodeblanc, Oct 2, 2019.

1. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

I need a new whip, something for me and Paco.

I don’t wanna go crazy money wise (I still need guitars), I’m 6’2”, it needs to fit a car seat and a little gear, would like it to fit in a medium sized garage, and have a comfortable ride. I don’t care about too much power as I’m never in a hurry to get anywhere.

I’ve kinda fallen in love with the Buick Regal TourX wagon, but wanna know if I’m missing something else out there.

What’re you guys driving? What would you be looking at if you were me? What’s the PRS Standard 24 of the car world?

d1backwoods likes this.
  2. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump Mint Heavy Relic

Have a Suburu dealer nearby?

ScottR, Anachronism, T-Rex and 2 others like this.
  3. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

I wan't aware of that car, but after daily driving an Astro Van for 3 years, there will never be another GM product in my garage, so I don't pay attention to Buick.

Anything that's a station wagon or crossover SUV or hatchback would probably work OK, but it depends on how the seats fold down. As someone who's 6'6", a lot of cars are too small for me. For example, I thought I would end up with a Toyota Tacoma, but it turns out that my head was against the ceiling in all of those, not just the ones with sunroofs. You might check out a Kia Soul. I have ridden in a few with Uber/Lyft rides and they've got a lot of head room and are actually pretty inexpensive. But it just depends what your budget is.

EDIT, or yeah, Subaru maybe?

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  4. markd21

markd21 New Member

I drive a Cadillac XTS. If I were you, I'd look at the XTS. GM is discontinuing them and the discounts will be coming.

I love mine. It has just over 90000 miles on it now and I have replaced tires, brakes will be soon (like next week, lol) and that's all I've had to do with it. All my Cadi's have been ultra reliable, but this XTS has been exceptional. It even has the Platnium option package and all electronics have been solid.

5. sergiodeblanc

I have everything nearby.

LSchefman likes this.
  6. sergiodeblanc

I haven’t driven a GM car in years, but my wife was pushing for an Encore because her dad has the Enclave and it seems nice for the price. I looked at the Encore but it’s tiny, and then that’s where I saw the TourX.

I personally don’t mind the Soul’s looks but my wife is really against any of the “box” vehicles. She says it’ll throw her into a spiral of depression if we get one. :rolleyes:

7. Tucson Thump

The Ascent is the biggest SUV and I think the Outback is the next down. At 6'2" anything with a sunroof is going to cramp your headroom.

LSchefman and sergiodeblanc like this.
  8. sergiodeblanc

Oh, and while I love the TourX... I’m kinda afraid of having a car I really really like. I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to have a car that I’ll wanna wipe down with a diaper and take up four spaces in the far end of the lot...

With an almost 3yr old, I should get a sh!tbox right? Maybe save some money and not GAF when Paco spills a chocolate shake in it and some mom smashes into it in the school line?

TBH I’m not much of a car guy.

Alnus Rubra, LSchefman and Warmart like this.
  9. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

Ah, but the box is where the gear goes. My wife's mostly worried about how we're going to get her massive friggin Ampeg 8x10 to shows!

10. Tucson Thump

There may still be some 1978 Ford LTD wagons running around Chicago ....

11. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

JB’s stance on GM mirrors mine right now. My neighbor...retired GM exec...has driven all Buick for the past 10+ years and had a chance to sit in them and evaluate. If I were to stray from my disdain, I’d probably consider Buick purely from the features, quality, and value perspective. Personally, I like the Cadillac too, but Mrs. B detests it, so I lose.

Now, with all of that said, I have Honda and Porsche. We went from Jaguar and Toyota to a CRV and Accord in a 2 month period. The Accord is really a great vehicle, especially for a commuter. Mrs. B wants to go back to a Toyota Sienna next time. Nothing wrong with the CRV, she just doesn’t like SUVs as much. All of the above - including the 911 - take a car seat like a champ and has plenty of headroom and legroom. I’m 6’1”.

Love the Subaru line up, btw.

12. sergiodeblanc

I’m know! I was all set to get something like that before she 86’ed it.

I’d be all about it but it won’t fit in my garage with my 2nd fridge in there. So I kinda need something mid-sized. We only have a one car garage, and I’m dying to have my new ride in there.

LSchefman likes this.
  13. sergiodeblanc

I’ve been more of a Ford person for the last couple of decades, and wouldn’t normally consider a Buick, but yeah... the features and “luxurious” feel of them for the price is what’s getting me. Everything in the similar price range feels way more stripped down.

Boogie, LSchefman and markd21 like this.
  14. Tucson Thump

Auto dealers are still trying like hell to sell the 2019 models.

15. Tucson Thump

True, but luxurious feel doesn't matter when the ride is in the shop too often.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  16. sergiodeblanc

I mean, look at these screen grabs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I know sunroofs are stupid but...

[​IMG]

This looks rad, and it’s Subaru/Honda $$$

17. sergiodeblanc

Word. I’d have no problem buying something a year or few old.

Is GM complete crap these days? I know they have issues as a company right now but, which ones don’t?

LSchefman likes this.
  18. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

Check out the chatter on the transmission in the Buick. GM has been having issues with some of their 8 speed transmissions, mostly RWD models I believe, so the Regal May be exempt, but worth looking. My truck has one, and I needed some parts replaced, it’s now better, but not flawless. 100% functional but the shifting is not the greatest, likes to hold gears instead of change and give me the juice when I need it.

I’ve driven a couple Explorers, and they were pretty sweet. Can be pricey depending on options.

Just don’t get light colored cloth seats if you have kids!

19. drdoom8793

drdoom8793 THAT guy at Chick-fil-A

I've been drooling over the Subaru Crosstreks for a while now. Killer cars for sure.

That being said, I've had a Kia Soul for 5 years and have been very happy with it. I'm a lean 6'4" and have plenty of room. Lay down the back seats and you can easily fit a whole rig. Average gas mileage of around 30 mpg too!

sergiodeblanc and Tucson Thump like this.
  20. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Dude, love my Honda Ridgeline. First was an '08, now in a '17. Perfect truck for moms everywhere! Lots of leg/headroom (in the front seat). Lots of great safety features. AWD. Rear seats fold up for extra storage, or dogs, in my case. The best part is the full size in bed trunk. It's big enough for a body, or a few guitars. Best thing, it's got a drain plug. You can fill it with ice and load it up with spritzers for your mom's wine parties.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ScottR, Alnus Rubra, Boogie and 3 others like this.