Car Shopping: Anything Good?

Go a step up from the base model. You'll get better mileage, a better transmission and tons of safety features that aren't available on the base model.

I got confused, the LX is the base and the EX is the next step up. Is the EX what you guys have?

I got confused, the LX is the base and the EX is the next step up. Is the EX what you guys have?

We got the EX. I'm all about utility, but once I saw the extra features that the EX model offers over the LX, it just seemed like a better buy. Especially considering we hang on to our cars for a long time, we needed something we'd be happy with over the long haul.

We got the EX. I'm all about utility, but once I saw the extra features that the EX model offers over the LX, it just seemed like a better buy. Especially considering we hang on to our cars for a long time, we needed something we'd be happy with over the long haul.

Word. I generally drive cars into the ground, so I foresee this as being a pretty long relationship.

Do you use all the extras? I mean, the remote start I can see but, what about all the stuff like the lane drift warning, that brake feature for traffic and the one where it’ll stop you from rear-ending somebody? Do you really find that useful?

Is there a favorite “must have” feature you’re really geeked about?

I’m totally coming from a car with a CD player, electric seats and windows, and cruse controls as my only “upscale” features. I’m afraid I’m gonna wuss out and buy the base when I see the prices. There could be a Yellow Santana Retro in the differences.

Never mind what I have... this is what I WANT!!!

https://www.toyota.com/gr-supra/

I was at the Toyota Dealership today(getting my 10K mile service on my Camry)...walked over to the new car showroom...and saw one on the showroom floor.
Large signs on both sides: Do Not Touch...Well I called over a salesman, emptied my pockets and took off my shoes and he let me sit in it.

Here's the deal:

1) This car is made and assembled in Austria, not Japan...that includes the engine co-designed(I was told) with BMW. When you pop the bonnet(hood) all you see is a huge plastic cowl covering what must be an engine...very German design. You can get a couple bags of mulch in the boot(trunk).

2) Notice that the gas filler cap is on the passenger side...that is a retarded design. ALL Toyotas have them on the drivers side. You will keep pulling up to the wrong side at the gas station...

3) Finally when you're sitting in the drivers seat there's a 10" tablet mounted right smack dab in the middle of the dashboard, in your line of sight. Now this is a $58,000 sports car...who the heck wants to see an 'infotainment' center...the car, itself, is an entertainment center. What a stupid design and distraction...it's not a delete option. It can't be folded out of sight either. Complete, total absolute deal breaker, even if I had the money...

I need a new whip, something for me and Paco.

I don’t wanna go crazy money wise (I still need guitars), I’m 6’2”, it needs to fit a car seat and a little gear, would like it to fit in a medium sized garage, and have a comfortable ride. I don’t care about too much power as I’m never in a hurry to get anywhere.

I’ve kinda fallen in love with the Buick Regal TourX wagon, but wanna know if I’m missing something else out there.

What’re you guys driving? What would you be looking at if you were me? What’s the PRS Standard 24 of the car world?

Mercedes. Any C, E or S class, your budget depending.

Do you use all the extras? I mean, the remote start I can see but, what about all the stuff like the lane drift warning, that brake feature for traffic and the one where it’ll stop you from rear-ending somebody? Do you really find that useful?

Is there a favorite “must have” feature you’re really geeked about?

My Ridgeline has all of those features. I find them very useful, and maybe a calming. The lane drift thing freaked me out the first time it engaged. It can get a little annoying if you don't signal when changing lanes because it things your drifting. Although, with the little man in the car, it could be a good thing if you're busy parenting and driving at the same time. The anti collision is the real deal. I didn't think it was much when I bought it, but it saved my bacon on one occasion. The only downside is if you fly up on someone, tailgate, and then change lanes at the last minute. It may sense you're too close to the car and brake. Not very likely.

I really like the adaptive cruise control with lane assist. When you're cruising on the highway, and come up behind a car it will slow down, and then speed back up to your set speed once that car is past, or you go around it. The lane assist means you can let go of the wheel and the car will keep you in your lane. It's a little weird feeling to have the wheel move by itself.

My Ridgeline has all of those features. I find them very useful, and maybe a calming. The lane drift thing freaked me out the first time it engaged. It can get a little annoying if you don't signal when changing lanes because it things your drifting. Although, with the little man in the car, it could be a good thing if you're busy parenting and driving at the same time. The anti collision is the real deal. I didn't think it was much when I bought it, but it saved my bacon on one occasion. The only downside is if you fly up on someone, tailgate, and then change lanes at the last minute. It may sense you're too close to the car and brake. Not very likely.

I really like the adaptive cruise control with lane assist. When you're cruising on the highway, and come up behind a car it will slow down, and then speed back up to your set speed once that car is past, or you go around it. The lane assist means you can let go of the wheel and the car will keep you in your lane. It's a little weird feeling to have the wheel move by itself.

So you’re saying when my wife is being a b!tch, and my son is throwing a temper tantrum, and I want to kill us all by driving into oncoming traffic, the car won’t let me? :p

I was at the Toyota Dealership today(getting my 10K mile service on my Camry)...walked over to the new car showroom...and saw one on the showroom floor.
Large signs on both sides: Do Not Touch...Well I called over a salesman, emptied my pockets and took off my shoes and he let me sit in it.

Here's the deal:

1) This car is made and assembled in Austria, not Japan...that includes the engine co-designed(I was told) with BMW. When you pop the bonnet(hood) all you see is a huge plastic cowl covering what must be an engine...very German design. You can get a couple bags of mulch in the boot(trunk).

2) Notice that the gas filler cap is on the passenger side...that is a retarded design. ALL Toyotas have them on the drivers side. You will keep pulling up to the wrong side at the gas station...

3) Finally when you're sitting in the drivers seat there's a 10" tablet mounted right smack dab in the middle of the dashboard, in your line of sight. Now this is a $58,000 sports car...who the heck wants to see an 'infotainment' center...the car, itself, is an entertainment center. What a stupid design and distraction...it's not a delete option. It can't be folded out of sight either. Complete, total absolute deal breaker, even if I had the money...
Interesting take. I knew long ago that this was a Toyota/BMW joint venture. The engine is the BMW inline 6.
The display comment seems quite valid. I'd have to empty my pockets and take off my shoes to corroborate.:D:cool:

Put wheels on it and make it a towable trailer.

If she has an ampeg 8x10 then it NEEDS to go.
Yeah, but every time I move it into or out of the car I think

9c93abc839.jpg

Luckily we only do like 4-5 live shows a year.

It sounds like we will.

It just seems like the safest bet. Aside from a few issues there isn’t much chatter about it being a clunker, and there’s millions of ‘em on the road.

The second step up from base (I believe it’s called the LX?) seems to have a pile of safety features and enough amenities. I think it may even have heated seats so I can wonder if I accidentally messed my pants when my butt gets hot. No leather seats at that price point though, and while I don’t like them anyway, I should probably look at something dark to hide the inevitable stains.

What do y’all think about extended warranties? Are they worth it? Do you think that’s “smart money” to spend?

The extended warranties don't cover normal wear-and-tear use from what I remember. The last one I had was on a 1990 Suburban and it seemed the dealer out here used it when they would screw things up.

When my wife had a 4Runner it had leather but we carried the dogs all the time. We bought cotton canvas seat covers front and back and the seats looked new five years later when my son took it to college. Maybe something like that is available for whatever you are going to buy.

So you’re saying when my wife is being a b!tch, and my son is throwing a temper tantrum, and I want to kill us all by driving into oncoming traffic, the car won’t let me? :p

It just makes it harder - you have to want it!

Our new Mazda has all that stuff. I kinda like the lane assist, although it can get annoying at times. I’ve never had it brake to avoid a collision, but the warning has popped up a few times. I do love the self-adjusting cruise control - if I creep up on a car, it keeps me a certain distance back. Although it does suck when some assbag switches into the gap at a slower speed - that’s when I feel it adjust hard. But it’s usually so smooth I don’t realize it’s happened until I look at the speedometer.

Word. I generally drive cars into the ground, so I foresee this as being a pretty long relationship.

Yes. Everyday. I commute 30 miles one way every day and deal with traffic worse than Anaheim at 5pm...the perfect place for the lane keeping tech and adaptive cruise control. And it actually works. I chose my Accord because, for the $$, the tech is the most developed and feature full on the market. The drive train on the CRV isn’t the most exciting and exhilarating, but that’s ok on an SUV because it’ll last forever. Plus, AWD means that I don’t need it on my car. We opted for the EX-L model because she loves leather and butt warmers. It also withstands her abuses better.

You’ll love it!

I drove a 2019(?) Touring (top of the line) model today.

piujxuj.jpg

Paco’s car seat fit well and there was enough room up front that my knees still had about 2-3 inches of space between them and the dash.

HecQbFX.jpg

I called an old family friend who has one for advice, and to see how he liked his, and he was gracious enough to pop over with it to let me take it for a spin.

It was a pleasant experience, and I got to drive it for longer than a dealer test drive. He let me shoot it over potholes, drive it into my garage (it fits!), and entertained my son the whole time.

I think I enjoyed it more than he did.

dMhei1p.jpg

Now I just have to send my wife out to buy it.

I drove a 2019(?) Touring (top of the line) model today.

piujxuj.jpg

Paco’s car seat fit well and there was enough room up front that my knees still had about 2-3 inches of space between them and the dash.

HecQbFX.jpg

I called an old family friend who has one for advice, and to see how he liked his, and he was gracious enough to pop over with it to let me take it for a spin.

It was a pleasant experience, and I got to drive it for longer than a dealer test drive. He let me shoot it over potholes, drive it into my garage (it fits!), and entertained my son the whole time.

I think I enjoyed it more than he did.

dMhei1p.jpg

Now I just have to send my wife out to buy it.
Dude is highly impressed!

Back