Bummed NGD - SE Neck profiles

Blakemore

Long story short - I own a Zach Myers SE in quilt burst that I absolutely love. I play in a few different tunings so I bought a second Zach Myers in Trampas Green to go with the burst and it arrived today.

The necks on the two guitars are waaay different. The Quilt burst neck sits right between a cozy wide fat and wide thin. (aka its on the thinner side of most wide fats and it is absolutely amazing to play) The new trampas green has a super thick wide fat neck. Measuring the depth at the 12th fret we have

Quilt - 23.2mm
Trampas- 24.3mm

Only 1mm difference but with the added mm and much more shoulder on the trampas, it is a night and day difference in my hand.

I understand these are most likely hand sanded so there will be slight variances but I never expected this much. I used to own 3 Tremonti Customs and they were all spot on.

I guess this one will go up for sale and I'll just have to wait until I find one in person that has the same neck.
Sincerely

-bummed NGD

Variation due to hand sanding is always a factor.

You got lucky that someone over sanded the quilt one. The Trampas one is where Wide/Fat should normally be at the 12th fret.

Variation due to hand sanding is always a factor.

You got lucky that someone over sanded the quilt one. The Trampas one is where Wide/Fat should normally be at the 12th fret.

Yeah, I understand the variations will differ with sanding but just a Murphy's Law bummer that my first Zach Myers experience is with a neck that will be really tough to find a match for. I think the thing that surprised me the most was the shoulder difference between the two necks.
Good to know that 24mm -ish is the norm for the wide/fat thickness, thank you.

Long story short - I own a Zach Myers SE in quilt burst that I absolutely love. I play in a few different tunings so I bought a second Zach Myers in Trampas Green to go with the burst and it arrived today.

The necks on the two guitars are waaay different. The Quilt burst neck sits right between a cozy wide fat and wide thin. (aka its on the thinner side of most wide fats and it is absolutely amazing to play) The new trampas green has a super thick wide fat neck. Measuring the depth at the 12th fret we have

Quilt - 23.2mm
Trampas- 24.3mm

Only 1mm difference but with the added mm and much more shoulder on the trampas, it is a night and day difference in my hand.

I understand these are most likely hand sanded so there will be slight variances but I never expected this much. I used to own 3 Tremonti Customs and they were all spot on.

I guess this one will go up for sale and I'll just have to wait until I find one in person that has the same neck.
Sincerely

-bummed NGD

If you really like the guitar email PTC and have the neck reshaped it will be expensive but the work will be top notch

Fatter/thicker necks = more tone....

I spent and wasted soooo much money over the years chasing this misconception.......found I didn’t like the huge fat necks and flipped many at a loss. Buy what feels best to you and make better sounding music because of it, most of tone is in your hands.

Not a bad idea. Definitely wonder how expensive that would be. Also, not even sure what profile to tell them to re-shape to.
It might be cheaper, or darned near close enough, to buy a used guitar outright that has the profile you want than to get the PTC to reshape it, and you'd still have the other "too fat" guitar. And by buying used, you can probably find them to try in person at your local guitar stores every now and then. Or at least call up the shop if you find one in an online inventory and see if they have a competent-enough sales-rep/tech that can measure the neck for you. Reverb may also be an avenue - I see 5 Trampas Green ZMs there within 10% of $500. Contact the seller(s) and ask if they can measure the neck.

If you like everything else about it try playing it some more before you return it. Your initial reaction was based on expectations. See if it's the same after getting past that and giving it a chance... it might just grow on you :)

Not a bad idea. Definitely wonder how expensive that would be. Also, not even sure what profile to tell them to re-shape to.

Just dawned on me you're in Nashville. Surely there are some good luthiers there who could reshape it. Bring the quilt top one with you. They should be able to measure it and reshape the other one to get it close. They can either respray it for you, or you can just get some Tru-Oil to seal it and you're good.

Back