Brand new core Modern Eagle will not hold tuning...

Darnit

Hi folks. Just received delivery on friday of a core Modern Eagle V. This thing took 7 months to arrive on backorder. My excitement quickly turned to heartbreak.

Problem: Will not hold tune whatsoever. Within 30 seconds of playing anything beyond soft finger picking, tuning slips in multiple directions on various strings. The trem is completely unusable. forget bending. Strings are stretched, tuned up to pitch(standard 10-46)

I have no such problems with my wood library 24-08( although that one arrived brand new with bad solder joints on the toggle) I can wail on that one's trem all day long with no slippage.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I'd hate to have to bring this back, but that's where I'm headed if I can't solve this quickly.

Thanks!

Bummer...Sending It Back To PRS Is Likely Your Best Bet Aside From An Actual Return To The Dealer.

Is The Trem Height Balanced Or The Same All The Way Around? You May Need More Detailed Measuring Than Simply Eyeballing It.

Is There Any Binding In The Nut Of Any Kind?

Is The Nut Bone?

Are There Particular Strings Going Out More So Than Others And Are Those Strings Consistent From One Tune Up Until The Next Out Of Tune Incident?

Do You Happen To Have A Lighter Set Of Strings Laying Around Just To See If They Cooperate With The Nut Slots As They Are?

Bummer! That is the last thing you want to have to deal with on a guitar of this caliber!! I am assuming you did not buy it locally, because if you did a trip to the dealer is obviously first in order!!! @Bogner suggests anything I could think of and then some ;~)) Hope you get it worked out soon and without any out of pocket expenses!

Bummer...Sending It Back To PRS Is Likely Your Best Bet Aside From An Actual Return To The Dealer.

Is The Trem Height Balanced Or The Same All The Way Around? You May Need More Detailed Measuring Than Simply Eyeballing It.

Is There Any Binding In The Nut Of Any Kind?

Is The Nut Bone?

Are There Particular Strings Going Out More So Than Others And Are Those Strings Consistent From One Tune Up Until The Next Out Of Tune Incident?

Do You Happen To Have A Lighter Set Of Strings Laying Around Just To See If They Cooperate With The Nut Slots As They Are?
Thanks for the quick reply! As far as I can tell the trem height is set evenly across the screws (if I'm understanding you correctly) but I imagine when I bring it back to the dealer to have a look, they can take specific measurements.

Haven't narrowed down an exact pattern yet with which specific strings are losing it and in which direction.. but more often than not, it seems the b, both e's, and occasionally the g are the the culprits. Of course, as one string may drop or tighten the others will do the inverse. Right now they just seem all over the place.

If the nut is binding, it's certainly not making the "tink" sound that I'm used to as an indication. The lighter strings may be a good move to check, though I'll have to pick up a pack. Bone nut, as far as I can tell from specs on the website.

Bummer! That is the last thing you want to have to deal with on a guitar of this caliber!! I am assuming you did not buy it locally, because if you did a trip to the dealer is obviously first in order!!! @Bogner suggests anything I could think of and then some ;~)) Hope you get it worked out soon and without any out of pocket expenses!
Thanks for the response! I'm certainly going to run down Bogner's list and see where that leads. Fortunately , I did source locally from a dealer, and hit them up yesterday about it. The response I got was along the lines of "I've never in 20 years had one with that issue" sort of thing.

This of course was similar to the response I got from a different dealer regarding the 24-08 solder issue. "oh this never happens"

Maybe it's my luck, but I'm two for two right now! hahaha

Appreciate your time

Thanks for the quick reply! As far as I can tell the trem height is set evenly across the screws (if I'm understanding you correctly) but I imagine when I bring it back to the dealer to have a look, they can take specific measurements.

Haven't narrowed down an exact pattern yet with which specific strings are losing it and in which direction.. but more often than not, it seems the b, both e's, and occasionally the g are the the culprits. Of course, as one string may drop or tighten the others will do the inverse. Right now they just seem all over the place.

If the nut is binding, it's certainly not making the "tink" sound that I'm used to as an indication. The lighter strings may be a good move to check, though I'll have to pick up a pack. Bone nut, as far as I can tell from specs on the website.
If The Nut Is Black It is The Good Synthetic One. If It Is Basically White Then It Is Bone. I Am Not A Fan Of Bone Nuts, Especially On Trem Equipped Guitars. Most Tuning Issues Are Nut Related In Some Fashion And It Is Not Uncommon For Various Stings To Pull Flat Or Sharp Due To The Issue. That Is Why I Suggested A Lighter Gauge String Just To See If The Response Is The Same Or Different In Any Way And Wha Those Differences May Be. It Is Also Possible That The Knife Edge Of The Trem Is Not Properly On The Pivot Point Of The Trem Screw Which Is Problematic And Why I Asked About The Height And If Anything Looks Off There.

Once A Few Things Are Able To Be Pinpointed It Shouldn't Be A Difficult Fix All Things Considered. I Have Been Down This Path And It Is Incredibly Frustrating And I Am Sorry You Are Going Through This. Let Me Know What You Find And I Will Do My Best To Help. Good Luck! :)

Thanks for the response! I'm certainly going to run down Bogner's list and see where that leads. Fortunately , I did source locally from a dealer, and hit them up yesterday about it. The response I got was along the lines of "I've never in 20 years had one with that issue" sort of thing.

This of course was similar to the response I got from a different dealer regarding the 24-08 solder issue. "oh this never happens"

Maybe it's my luck, but I'm two for two right now! hahaha

Appreciate your time
I think it is awesome that you bought from a local dealer, especially considering the current situation! They should be able to work things out for you (I assume they are an authorized dealer considering you actually ordered it through them). If they do need to send it to PTC, I would definitely be pining for a partial refund for the troubles/inconvenience, but that is just me!! Best wishes Sir!!!

That’s a bummer. I had a small cosmetic thing on one of my guitars once. The dealer worked with PRS to resolve it. Only took a few weeks and the dealer had it back to me. I would advise just reaching out to the dealer and letting them check with PRS on it. I’ve got my fingers crossed on a speedy solution for you.

Assuming it has locking tuners, are the locking screws tightened down enough? My first time changing strings with them, I was afraid of overdoing it and stripping them, so I only made them hand-tight. As I got the strings up to pitch and played/bended a bit, they started going flat. Turns out the locks weren't tight enough and the strings were pulling back from the tuning peg

Before you do anything try this - Tune up to pitch - aggressively use the trem , dive bombs , wiggles have at it , retune up to pitch your tuning will get better in my experience. this has worked on ALL my PRS guitars. Don't be gentle.

Before you do anything try this - Tune up to pitch - aggressively use the trem , dive bombs , wiggles have at it , retune up to pitch your tuning will get better in my experience. this has worked on ALL my PRS guitars. Don't be gentle.
Completely agree. This is great advice.

Thanks again everyone for the responses. After a few hours of bending string by string and whammy after whammy, tuning after tuning, I finally caught a little "tink" noise on the G string, indicating it's binding there. Very disappointed that a guitar of this caliber can't come with a properly cut nut.

I suppose the next step is to bring it to the dealer, although I'm not sure I trust them to do the work, and I'm not sure that sending it off to PRS is any better of a deal. PRS hasn't given me much encouragement that they can get things done in a timely fashion.

I will note this passed qc with the same initials that allowed the bad solder joints on the 24-08 through

Thanks again everyone for the responses. After a few hours of bending string by string and whammy after whammy, tuning after tuning, I finally caught a little "tink" noise on the G string, indicating it's binding there. Very disappointed that a guitar of this caliber can't come with a properly cut nut.

I suppose the next step is to bring it to the dealer, although I'm not sure I trust them to do the work, and I'm not sure that sending it off to PRS is any better of a deal. PRS hasn't given me much encouragement that they can get things done in a timely fashion.

I will note this passed qc with the same initials that allowed the bad solder joints on the 24-08 through
I Am Sorry To Hear This But It Confirms My Hunches. Another Option You May Want To Consider Is Replacing That Nut With The Black Synthetic PRS Factory Nut. It Is Pre Cut And Likely Wouldn't Require A Ton Of Work To Get It Dialed In And Any Proper, Competent Luthier Should Be Able To Handle It For You If You Don't Have The Tools And Skills/Knolwledge To Do The Job Yourself. Are You Otherwise Completely Satisfied With Everything Else About The Guitar And Are You Going To Keep It And Not Return/Exchange It?

Bone Nuts And Trems Are A No No In My Experience And The Black Synthetic PRS Nut Is Exceptional.

Assuming it has locking tuners, are the locking screws tightened down enough? My first time changing strings with them, I was afraid of overdoing it and stripping them, so I only made them hand-tight. As I got the strings up to pitch and played/bended a bit, they started going flat. Turns out the locks weren't tight enough and the strings were pulling back from the tuning peg
Thanks for the response! I wish it was this.. Unfortunately, I think we're looking at a poorly cur nut here.

I Am Sorry To Hear This But It Confirms My Hunches. Another Option You May Want To Consider Is Replacing That Nut With The Black Synthetic PRS Factory Nut. It Is Pre Cut And Likely Wouldn't Require A Ton Of Work To Get It Dialed In And Any Proper, Competent Luthier Should Be Able To Handle It For You If You Don't Have The Tools And Skills/Knolwledge To Do The Job Yourself. Are You Otherwise Completely Satisfied With Everything Else About The Guitar And Are You Going To Keep It And Not Return/Exchange It?

Bone Nuts And Trems Are A No No In My Experience And The Black Synthetic PRS Nut Is Exceptional.
I am certainly not skilled enough to replace on my own. I can say that if it wasn't for this tuning issue, this guitar would go nowhere. I can list a bunch of great things and only a few negatives that would still warrant keeping it. But I'm not sure I'm into paying brand new prices for a guitar that needs this kind of work.

I will say you are probably onto something about the black synthetic nut, as that's what's on my 24-08 and it is rock-solid tuning-wise. Not sure if the material would change the sound or resonance, as my 24-08 is particularly snappy and a totally different sounding guitar (rosewood neck, ebony board, hotter pickups, 24 fret, etc)

I am certainly not skilled enough to replace on my own. I can say that if it wasn't for this tuning issue, this guitar would go nowhere. I can list a bunch of great things and only a few negatives that would still warrant keeping it. But I'm not sure I'm into paying brand new prices for a guitar that needs this kind of work.

I will say you are probably onto something about the black synthetic nut, as that's what's on my 24-08 and it is rock-solid tuning-wise. Not sure if the material would change the sound or resonance, as my 24-08 is particularly snappy and a totally different sounding guitar (rosewood neck, ebony board, hotter pickups, 24 fret, etc)
Minimal Sound Difference And Likely Not Noticeable. Certainly Not Enough To Change The Sound Of Your Guitar From Sound A To Sound B For Example. I Hear You On Buying. New Guitar (At Any price) And Said Guitar Not Being Right And Needing Work...Very Frustrating And I Have Definitely Been There. That Is Why I Asked If The Guitar Was Just Out Of This World In Every Other Way Or Is It Simply Super Nice Like All Guitars In Its Class And Something You Think You Could Find Again And Be Just As Happy Or Happier That The New One Worked Properly. That May Be A Thought You Want To Work Out In Your Mind So Your Next Steps (In Whatever Direction You Come To) Are Not So Overwhelming.

At The End Of The Day, I Would Love For You To Have An Amazing Guitar That You Absolutely Love And Are Completely Satisfied With So you Can Make Music. That Is The Key! :)

If after all of the time you have spent with it and you heard one “tink,” I would guess the nut is fine. I think the advice to give a little extra crank to the set screws of the machine heads is the place to start if you are sure the knife edge is properly seated in the grooves of the screws anchoring the bridge to the body.

It sucks, but at least you are close to the shop you purchased it from. Drop it off and tell them you are going to get lunch and you will pick it up when you are finished. They should be able to have it resolved by the time you get back.

Do you have a jewelers loop or other magnifying device that you can use to take a detailed look at the nut sluts slots? If so, I would whip it out and take a peek before your next steps ;~)) Unfortunate that you do not have enough faith in the dealer to resolve this considering they are local ;~((

Back