Phase III Locking Trem Saddles

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
Locking saddles came on my Modern Eagle V, Anybody else on the forum have these or like these? I wanted to change the strings and I’m having a difficult time threading the string through the saddle. It takes some much added time and you have to back the locking hex screw almost all the way or all the way out so you can thread the string through. It really is a patience tester.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong anybody have any tips let me know. I found nothing on PRS’s website so I emailed them they sent me directions.
I think I’d rather have the regular saddles in the Trem bridge. I will say the tuning stays perfect but then again I don’t remember having any problems with the original core Trems.

Guide to Changing Strings on a PRS Gen-3 Tremolo with Locking Saddles.

Steps:

1. Remove old strings by turning the tuner buttons.
2. After tension is relieved from string loosen the locking set screw on tuner shaft using a large slotted screwdriver or a quarter.
3. You can cut the strings using a good pair of wire cutters if desired.
4. Pull strings from tuner through holes.
5. Pull strings through the back of the tremolo. You can remove the tremolo back plate for easier access to the tremolo blocks string through holes.
6. After all strings are removed it is recommended to clean your fretboard and the top of the guitar underneath thestrings using your favorite guitar cleaner and fretboard cleaner.
7. Push the strings through the tremolo block from the back of the guitar in their appropriate hole pulling them through from the top with your opposite hand. Make sure the string goes through the saddle in the appropriate location.
8. Pull each string from the top until the ball end bottoms out inside the tremolo block. Then push the string ball end back through the block about 1/32” creating slack between the locking saddle and the ball end and block.
9. Tighten the locking set screw in the saddle. This will take up the slack left in the last step. If you do not leave slack on the ball end of the string the saddle may be forced back causing the intonation to go flat.
10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 for the remaining strings until all strings are locked into the saddles.
11. Once all saddles are locked pull each string through the tuner through holes leaving enough slack to have ½ to 1 full wrap around the tuner shaft when tuned to pitch.
12. Tune your guitar to your desired tuning while stretching your stings until the guitar stays in tune.

Last edited:
Yeah... I dunno. I don’t have a guitar with them, but I’ve had similar designed saddles in the past and they just seemed more trouble than they were worth (for me personally).

I’d probably get some 1980 Spec saddles from John Mann... ‘cause they’re cool and have bigger holes. :rolleyes::p

Yeah... I dunno. I don’t have a guitar with them, but I’ve had similar designed saddles in the past and they just seemed more trouble than they were worth (for me personally).

I’d probably get some 1980 Spec saddles from John Mann... ‘cause they’re cool and have bigger holes. :rolleyes::p
My thoughts exactly. I couldn’t imagine changing a string in a hurry and a bar. I’m not big enough to have a guitar tech doing it for me.

Thanks for the advice Sergio. I called The guitar vault And ended up speaking to John man himself. Great guy, really nice conversations about PRS history and his role amongst other guitar related topics. I’m all set getting what I need from him.

I have the same locking saddles as Pete thorn has on his signature suhr on a Strat. They're great. They don't look as cool as the PRS ones but they are a lot easier to string up

Not sure why you would have to put the strings in from the back, as you need slack for the ball ends in the block anyway. :confused:

Just start at the tuners, pull the strings through the tuners, insert strings into saddles and lock down, tighten locking tuners and cut off ball ends. ;)

I’ll just stick with this -

Not sure why you would have to put the strings in from the back, as you need slack for the ball ends in the block anyway. :confused:

Just start at the tuners, pull the strings through the tuners, insert strings into saddles and lock down, tighten locking tuners and cut off ball ends. ;)
Kind of what I thought but I don’t think the intention is to leave the ball end dangling. The directions say leave 1/32” slack so when you tighten the lock screw I believe the ball pulls up snug. Kind of tough to do in my mind. I wonder if anyone cuts the ball end off. I take some close up photos of the saddle later today.

Back