Blemish on Private Stock Top

Shizzrock

So I've been in love with how my guitar plays and sounds, and the worksmanship is exquisite. But there's this wormtrack right on the focal point of the guitar that's kind of driving me crazy. I know it's impossible to see inside the wood, but I've never seen another top with this kind of mark before. Is this common? Do they usually downgrade these tops and because I picked it out I'm SOL? I just wish I got a heads up about it, after waiting so long it kind of muted my excitement. Has anyone had something like this when they built their PS?

IMG_0964.JPG

Possibly a mineral streak, or some other naturally occurring feature to the wood? I see two of them in the photo. My 594 has a streak on the right side of the top. If you look under the bridge pickup, you can see how there’s a light blue line running horizontally across to nearly the neck pickup.

image.jpg

I never even noticed she had thumbs.

The better half thinks she is hot and I would not debate that. Though I might prefer a different look, I would definitely be down as Player 3.

Back to the guitar. There appears to be another line just NW by a sausage tube. Are these the only lines that you have questions about or are there more and these are the most pronounced? Can you post photos of the whole fiddle?

So I've been in love with how my guitar plays and sounds, and the worksmanship is exquisite. But there's this wormtrack right on the focal point of the guitar that's kind of driving me crazy. I know it's impossible to see inside the wood, but I've never seen another top with this kind of mark before. Is this common? Do they usually downgrade these tops and because I picked it out I'm SOL? I just wish I got a heads up about it, after waiting so long it kind of muted my excitement. Has anyone had something like this when they built their PS?

IMG_0964.JPG
Only the tree knows.

its maybe stress cracks in the wood, but given its a partial sine wave, I think its a good omen

I don't know how I would feel about this.

On the one hand, it reminds me that wood is natural and blemishes are a part of what makes wood different from "organic plastic", shall we say. And the quilting of the maple is a blemish on a much larger scale, if you will.

On the other hand, if it is the One Obvious Flaw that stares at me every time I pick up the guitar, it would bug me and I'd want it gone.

On the third hand, maybe you could have an inlay done, like the tiny dragon on the West St Ltds, that incorporates or replaces the blemish.

The better half thinks she is hot and I would not debate that. Though I might prefer a different look, I would definitely be down as Player 3.

Back to the guitar. There appears to be another line just NW by a sausage tube. Are these the only lines that you have questions about or are there more and these are the most pronounced? Can you post photos of the whole fiddle?

There's some other marks but this one is just right there in your face. I have another thread when I first got it with a bunch of pics, but those hide the marks for the most part. Here's a couple more:

IMG_6193.JPG

IMG_6597.JPG

I don't know how I would feel about this.

On the one hand, it reminds me that wood is natural and blemishes are a part of what makes wood different from "organic plastic", shall we say. And the quilting of the maple is a blemish on a much larger scale, if you will.

On the other hand, if it is the One Obvious Flaw that stares at me every time I pick up the guitar, it would bug me and I'd want it gone.

On the third hand, maybe you could have an inlay done, like the tiny dragon on the West St Ltds, that incorporates or replaces the blemish.

I went through that same line of reasoning lol. I've just never seen these marks on other tops, but it's probably apropos for me since I am also flawed.

There's some other marks but this one is just right there in your face. I have another thread when I first got it with a bunch of pics, but those hide the marks for the most part. Here's a couple more:

IMG_6193.JPG

IMG_6597.JPG

I think it is just how it looks, man. Up close, I agree, it looked a bit odd. Now that I see the whole guitar, I think it is definitely feature opposed to flaw. That top has a metric ton of character.

If you got to choose the wood for the build, the spot was probably invisible until stain was applied, it seems to magnify any beauty or blemish. Unless it's a complete disaster to you, personally, I would just live with it. I have several on my Cherry Sunburst McCarty and unless I bring it up, they go unnoticed. Your call.

If you got to choose the wood for the build, the spot was probably invisible until stain was applied, it seems to magnify any beauty or blemish. Unless it's a complete disaster to you, personally, I would just live with it. I have several on my Cherry Sunburst McCarty and unless I bring it up, they go unnoticed. Your call.
Every piece of wood takes color differently. Furthermore, these tops are carved, so you only get to see the final appearance after carving and sanding. Billet selection is just the tip of the iceberg. There’s no telling what you would find on any other top. I think it’s part of the natural beauty that confirms how sonorous an invention can be made from a tree trunk that once only blew in the wind. Plus, no ones going to see it, dude. Especially you when you’re playing it. If it’s a museum piece, that’s one thing. If it’s a rock machine.... then rock on!!!

I think it is just how it looks, man. Up close, I agree, it looked a bit odd. Now that I see the whole guitar, I think it is definitely feature opposed to flaw. That top has a metric ton of character.
Now that I have seen the whole top, I'm with Jesse and bodia - it "fits in" with the rest of the top, that type of wave is all over adding a fantastic character to the wood, that particular one just happens to stand out a tiny bit more.

Still looks stunning to me! Love that color and figure.

Back