Birds, LOTS of birds

docteurseb

Got to visit the PRS factory last July prior to running an "errand" in the PS Vault (still waiting for that one).

During the visit I was gifted with two nice sheets of PRS inlays.
Unfortunately once I flew home one of them (the bottom one for the outlines) broke while I was holding it and fell on the floor.
I was left with large pieces and way too many small ones.
I tried to glue it up but quickly gave up. I considered throwing it away but someone talked me out of it.

8 months later, and thanks to the boredom induced by shelter-in-place orders, I finally got to piece it back together.
I'm surprised the repaired sheet ended up looking as good as it does, all the pieces seem to be here. Although for the very last few pieces I had to to a bit of sanding for everything to fit.

I made frames for them too (thank again to SIP). For the curious: the frame is basswood sandwiched between walnut, and the baseplate is mahogany.

I was planning on filling with epoxy to protect from dust and keep everything secure, but I'm not so sure anymore as it's one last thing that could go wrong.

xLyjaPr.jpg

Last edited:
Photo isn't showing...

Thanks for letting me know. It was still showing up for me but that was from the cache.
The first picture I uploaded to Flickr still had the GPS info. I stripped it used Flickr's replace option expecting the URL to stay the same, of course that got modified as well.

Really really nice! I would be tempted to put a plain flat black sheet behind them to make the colors pop more. Send them to me and I’ll do it for you. You can expect me to return them to you when hell freezes over.

Really really nice! I would be tempted to put a plain flat black sheet behind them to make the colors pop more. Send them to me and I’ll do it for you. You can expect me to return them to you when hell freezes over.

At this point the sheets and mahogany are glued/bonded. They wouldn't be coming off without breaking them into pieces.

Last edited:
Mine didn't make it home in one piece, either. I was definitely not as patient as you. Very cool.

Back