Bird inlay material choices for Private Stock

Isaac cruz

I recently ordered a private stock acoustic, and was thinking about the bird inlay options.

Should I go with Paua J Birds with Paua Centers? What are some good looking combinations? I definitively want J birds with centers, but haven't decided the material yet.

I recently ordered a private stock acoustic, and was thinking about the bird inlay options.

Should I go with Paua J Birds with Paua Centers? What are some good looking combinations? I definitively want J birds with centers, but haven't decided the material yet.

Depends upon the guitar. It’s like matching your purse to your shoes.

I claim no design expertise, but I went with just having the standard paua J-birds because simpler seemed nice in view of all the bling that was also standard, like the purfling around the top.

So it’s a case of the shoes and belt matching, I guess. :)

All this stuff is intensely personal, there’s no right/wrong way.

3mVz6f7.jpg

Les’ guitar is a beauty! I’d go for something different though. I’ve always liked the idea of a PS being noticeably different from a core. How about brush stroke birds or maybe just a larger inlay covering only the 11th-13th frets? Just use inlay materials which compliment (certainly not clash) with the other colors in your guitar. PRS has many samples of inlay materials.

PS = unique and personal just to you. But Les is right; no right or wrong. Get what makes you happy.

Totally legit approach, and Steve’s guitars are wonderful and incredible looking.

I’ll admit I’m a little shy about pulling out a guitar that says, “Custom made” around other musicians at sessions, most of whom are better musicians than I’ll ever be. That makes no sense, but heck, what do I ever do that makes sense? o_O

When I did my PS, I knew what inlays I wanted - a darkish blue to go with the ebony board. I just didn't know which blue until I got there.

I looked over the various colors and discussed them with Tina and ended up with...maple birds stained to match the top. Totally not what I'd planned. But these work so much better - and gave the guitar a bit of a theme w/the other birds on it.

Paul usually pics shell for his PS model limited runs. Not always, and I do have one that’s mammoth ivory, though to me that looks like corian, so it’s no big deal (I bought the guitar for its sound, anyway).

But in any case, Paul the Man is an artist, and I honestly think he knows what works. I’m good with that.

Hey, I’m creative when it comes to music. When it comes to guitar design, I’m relatively hopeless.

Totally legit approach, and Steve’s guitars are wonderful and incredible looking.

I’ll admit I’m a little shy about pulling out a guitar that says, “Custom made” around other musicians at sessions, most of whom are better musicians than I’ll ever be. That makes no sense, but heck, what do I ever do that makes sense? o_O

Totally understand your approach! Your PS looks beautiful.

In my case, I definitively want it to scream “custom guitar”.:D

If you want understated yet classy, black or brown MOP is great for the centers. These varieties have much more figuring than white MOP. The same can be said for wood centers. Seeing as an acoustic does not have a stained colourful top, understated may be a good choice.

For me, the decision on the inlays would very much depend on the fretboard and the colour(s) of the body. I would go 'light' on a dark fretboard or 'dark on a light fret board - to stand out. The only exception to this would be having a Red inlay with a rosewood/ebony fretboard if (and with me its VERY likely) the body was also Red. II would love this as a 'Gothic' Red on black look theme that I really like.

It seems almost pointless to have a light inlay on a Maple fretboard and even more pointless to have a 'black' inlay on a Ebony fretboard - at least in my opinion but as this is your build, you may like that idea. It doesn't have to be 'semi-precious' inlays either - I have seen some really nice maple inlays on a rosewood fretboard and a 'natural' wood colour body - again though, the choice of inlay is still determined by the body colour.

The amount of times I have configured my own Private Stock - not that I have the means to commission turning these into fully functioning instruments - the choice of inlays have never been a difficult decision - they virtually pick themselves because of the basic principal that is 'important' to me. The first question I ask myself is 'do I want them to stand out?' and the second question is 'do I want them to be co-ordinated with the colour(s) I have decided on?'. If the answer leaves you with little/no choice, then you pick the question that is most important. For example, if the guitar and Fretboard are 'dark', and you prefer the inlays to stand out more than co-ordinate, then you narrow down the choice to all the 'light' colour inlays - you have 'free' choice because you are not co-ordinating to anything. If you prefer to co-ordinate with the body and you are going with a dark blue body, then you might want to look at any with some 'blue'. At least this is how I would go about deciding the inlays.

I've always personally felt that old school birds with no outlines were where the PRS aesthetic is at, though J birds with filled centres give that vibe(whole silhouette of a bird) but with a little more modern and structured feel. Never liked the other types of bird configurations or if they are too bling(gold outlines, silver outlines). I drool over etched birds though. Private stock or not, I like a guitar to be played to death, and at least to me, simple inlays fit that "workhorse" vibe a little more.

Since you want it to scream "custom" though, go with your gut feel.

Are there enough different styles of birds so that you could have one of each, or is that just too out there?

Back