Best PRS Custom 24 production run (or years)

cur_10

Ok.. I know this is a subjective question and there are going to be quite a number of variables… So I get that. However in general, for someone looking to get a Custom 24, what is the general consensus on the best year or years produced?
Sure I know there are variations in all production runs... but I’d like some direction. I’ve heard someone say the pre-1995 ones are “considered” the best, but perhaps (for example) the early 2000s or even newer 24s have a great reputation for tone and playability.. that’s my question.
I’m beginning my search on Reverb and would love some help. Thanks to the experts.

They just keep getting better! Choose the pickups you like and/or the switching and other features you prefer and you can't really go wrong.
If there is a dealer where you can at least try out different neck carves, that would be helpful.

PRS are a brand that doesn't sit still and continue to look at ways to improve everything. Arguably, the best Custom 24's are the ones made in recent years and probably the 2020 models with Nitro finish and the TCI implementation. If you are looking used, then you really look for the ones that are within your price range with the pick-ups you prefer and preferred switching system - Blade vs Rotary switch.

The main issue with used is likely to be what, if anything, the previous owner(s) have done - even if the guitar is 'stock', doesn't mean that the previous owner(s) hadn't replaced parts and chucked the original parts back in which may not be done to the standard you would expect. As for build quality etc, PRS have been renown for quality so you don't get periods where they may have tried to cut corners or rush through builds without the same care and attention. The biggest risk is from previous owners changes, poor maintenance and/or set-ups that you may come across buying used.

Paul would say the newest one. PRS keep pushing the boundaries, and improving on an already great model. I think the pick up variations would be the way to go, as well as the switching options. I have owned a ‘91, ‘95, ‘06, and ‘14, and consider all of them great. The ‘14 would be my favorite, but just for the satin in maple neck.

Ok.. I know this is a subjective question and there are going to be quite a number of variables… So I get that. However in general, for someone looking to get a Custom 24, what is the general consensus on the best year or years produced?
Sure I know there are variations in all production runs... but I’d like some direction. I’ve heard someone say the pre-1995 ones are “considered” the best, but perhaps (for example) the early 2000s or even newer 24s have a great reputation for tone and playability.. that’s my question.
I’m beginning my search on Reverb and would love some help. Thanks to the experts.

Just my opinion of course, but I'm a big fan of the Custom 24 and I have more than a couple of them. My favorite Custom 24's are the newest ones (2015 and newer) and the Custom 24-08's are even better.

I'm also remembering a video I saw somewhere where PRSh said something like, "If you have one of our old guitars, sell it and buy a new one because we are now building the best guitars we've ever made." (Something like that.)

PRS-2014_CU24_1889x1400.jpg

PRS-2018_CU24-08.jpg

PRS isn’t Gibson. Pick one... and if you like it, buy it.

I'm also remembering a video I saw somewhere where PRSh said something like, "If you have one of our old guitars, sell it and buy a new one because we are now building the best guitars we've ever made." (Something like that.)

Paul doesn’t make any money from people buying old/used guitars.... just sayin’.

The problem with buying a PRS is that every year he figures out some way to push the art forward, if just a bit, so in aggregate, the guitars being made right now are better than the ones from 10 years ago.

Please know this isn’t directed at you, but just inspired by your post. I’m merely using it as a springboard for my own opinion.

The new guitars are undeniably more well put together, and there are a bunch of production and finishing improvements. Things have become more “exact” and that could be considered “better”.... or just “different”.

Folks do a disservice to some of the older guitars by repeating the mantra of “new is better”. I’ve had my hands on some old guitars that couldn’t be better, and Paul has admitted that he/they can’t reproduce or improve on certain guitars, and they’ve tried.

It’s up to the player to decide what works best for them. Two-piece trems, winged tuners, coin-slot blade switches, compressed pickups, shallower headstock angles.... it all depends on what features the player finds to be preferential.

Nobody’s gonna tell me a new CE is better than an old alder one. And nobody should diss an original Signature or Artist II, they’re magnificent guitars made in a different time by builders who were at the top of their game, and changed the perceptions of excellence in the industry.

PRS isn’t Gibson. Pick one... and if you like it, buy it.

bingo.

Please know this isn’t directed at you, but just inspired by your post. I’m merely using it as a springboard for my own opinion.

Right, well, I say this, and, hands down, my fave guitar in my collection is the ME1.

My point was specifically 'in aggregate', that is, the median quality current core guitar is going to be better than the median quality one from 10 years ago.

There are always going to be stand out examples, or even a whole line like the Braz ME1 that they just can't do due to material issues.

That all said, this is just my opinion based on a rather limited sample size.

Also, the CE thing is spot on, but it's a 'budget' line. It's value-engineered to meet the market segment due to the erosion of wages.

Just my opinion of course, but I'm a big fan of the Custom 24 and I have more than a couple of them. My favorite Custom 24's are the newest ones (2015 and newer) and the Custom 24-08's are even better.

PRS-2014_CU24_1889x1400.jpg

PRS-2018_CU24-08.jpg
Damn.
That is a fine pair.

Paul doesn’t make any money from people buying old/used guitars.... just sayin’.

The new guitars are undeniably more well put together, and there are a bunch of production and finishing improvements. Things have become more “exact” and that could be considered “better”.... or just “different”.

Folks do a disservice to some of the older guitars by repeating the mantra of “new is better”. I’ve had my hands on some old guitars that couldn’t be better, and Paul has admitted that he/they can’t reproduce or improve on certain guitars, and they’ve tried.

It’s up to the player to decide what works best for them. Two-piece trems, winged tuners, coin-slot blade switches, compressed pickups, shallower headstock angles.... it all depends on what features the player finds to be preferential.

Nobody’s gonna tell me a new CE is better than an old alder one. And nobody should diss an original Signature or Artist II, they’re magnificent guitars made in a different time by builders who were at the top of their game, and changed the perceptions of excellence in the industry.
100%

PRS has always made good guitars and age does change that. They were all built to last at least through your grand children.

The ones I bought in the 90s were good enough I stopped looking for guitars. Ten years later they had changed enough that I bought some more. I might be ready to give one of the new pretty ones a try, but I think more about a couple of really early ones that are hanging around.

But...I also have a 25 year old car and a 20 year old motorcycle.

I think the idea that there’s a ‘year’ for the ‘best’ PRSes is complete bullish!t. ‘Best’ is 100% dependent on player taste.

If your idea of the best tone is the recorded tones on 1985 records, what Paul was going for in 1985 will satisfy. If your idea of playing ergonomics is a rotary pickup selector instead of a toggle or blade, sure. Go for early.

if your idea of good tone is the tones of the so-called classic rock era, or blues, the newer ones may be much more to your taste.

Unlike Fenders and Gibsons, there were no bad years for PRS. The quality never dropped or fluctuated. Similarly, there aren’t “best” years, because the quality was stable.

I bought my first PRS new in 1991, and have bought a whole bunch since. No one’s going to convince me that my old guitar was anywhere near as desirable as my newer PRSes. That is especially in the case of my CU24 30th PS.

But I am not a big fan of ‘80s era Arena Rock tone, and that might explain my preference.

I vastly prefer (love, even) the changes Paul has made over the years. My ‘91 was firewood compared to my current, recent PRSes. To me. Maybe not to you.

Part of that, I think, is that Paul Smith’s thinking has evolved. At some point, he began to better appreciate the tonal qualities of some of the classic guitars, and to incorporate those qualities into his guitars.

To me, this is an improvement, and moreover, it’s been a steady improvement. But as I said, it’s dependent on taste. Each of us thinks we have the best taste, and to a degree, each does have the best taste - for that player.

The guitar world needs to get over this fixation on “the first year is always best.” Because it’s certainly a matter of taste, and nothing more.

EDIT: Incidentally, I should point out that I really liked my ‘91 (except for the pickups, the old ceramic, or whatever they were, pickups did nothing for me), which is why I kept buying PRSes. As you might imagine I’m crazy about my post-2008 PRSes.

Last edited:
I have three. My suggestion would be start with do you want a toggle switch or a blade. For me that is a huge thing I prefer the toggle . One of mine has the blade not as quick on stage for me. The other issue is Nick profile I have both regular and then I prefer the regular.

All guitars vary, irrespective of age. A new PRS will carry a warranty. A used one will represent better value but needs to be thoroughly checked out by you. Obviously the warranty is not transferable.

Sorry, but beyond the excitement of owning an instrument that has been around for a long time, I am not a fan of the vintage is better notion. And I am, let's say, disdainful of the whole Reissue thing with the likes of Gibson and Fender. I especially believe that whole 'relic' thing is BS in the extreme. You want an old style guitar find an old guitar and buy it, and then put up with all the vagaries and inconsistencies of having something as old or older than you are. I have a 35 year old SG which I bought back in around the early 90s. It sounds fabulous. But I also have an SG which I bought almost new six years ago and it sounds even better. I've beat the crap out of it and it still sounds better. More pertinently, I have an SE Santana which I bought in 2011 and, again, sounds great. I bought an S2 24 this year and it pretty much is the best guitar I have ever played. Bar none. Guitars are tools to be used to make music. Nostalgia is nonsense. The best guitar a company makes should be the one that just came off it's assembly table.

I don't personally buy into the whole early years of any guitar company are ALWAYS better whether it's PRS, Gibson or Fender.

I've been around long enough and traveled to a lot of big guitar shops around Texas.

I've had my hands many old vintage examples from all these companies.

Some of the older vintage guitars were impressive and some were not.

Some of the newer examples of all these companies were impressive and others were not.

I've learned one size doesn't fit all, and that's why I will NEVER EVER buy any guitar online from any guitar shop or guitar forum.

If I can't audition it in person, then buying the guitar will never be an option.

I want to know how the guitar feels , sounds and in my hands and how it reacts to my playing.

I'm always open to giving any guitar a chance whether vintage or new, but the guitar has to prove itself in person.

Back