Best PRS Custom 24 production run (or years)

I agree!!

As far as I know, not that I have tested every guitar from every year, NO big guitar brand has had a year where EVERY guitar is bad. There maybe years where certain build styles were not as desirable - whether you like the Pancake bodies of Gibson in the 70's or not for example - but even those guitars were 'good'. The further back you go though, the more chance that 'duds' (or at least those that were not as good as others) existed with a lot of brands. However, its more likely that those guitars have also disappeared because they were replaced by better instruments.

If you have ANY doubts about a guitar, you should go and check it out in person. It also doesn't matter if a brand is known for high quality, if its used, it could have been messed with, parts replaced or damaged through abuse, misuse or bad set-ups so its better to check them out first (or buy from a seller with a great returns policy). Buying new shouldn't be such an issue but again, if you have doubts, go and check it out.

You are ALWAYS the final QC check - whether you buy it new or used. What you are willing to accept as 'Mint' or 'Excellent' may well be different from the sellers assessment and, if a guitar doesn't meet the standards you are expecting, then you don't have to buy. That goes for new or used and its easier to do your own QC before you buy rather than wait for it to arrive at your house after purchasing and then find it fails your QC check. Therefore, if you have ANY concern or doubt, check it out in person first!!

I'm always open to giving any guitar a chance whether vintage or new, but the guitar has to prove itself in person.

I completely agree.

I have to admit, I do buy from an out-of-state dealer who’s become a friend in our nearly 20 years of doing business together. He knows my taste, and I trust his. He always seems to pick out the ones with ‘my sound’. These days, he’ll shoot a video of a couple of guitars being played through an amp, and send it to me, so at least I’m not doing a complete crapshoot.

Of course, it’d be even better (and more fun!) to visit his shop. In-person is the best way to shop for a guitar.

The '06 APs. Many had the super dense pencil flame maple tops and all had dark Brazilian boards. And the HFS/VB pickups worked so well with the 5-way rotary.

Besides, that's what I have. :)

All can say is my custom S2 24 is one of the most amazing guitars I have ever played. The pickups ,the neck, the total playability, everything about it is amazing.
I have had it for 2 months now and have played it through 3 sets of strings already. I just love to pick it up and play for an hour or two.
By the way the PRS signature strings are very different from the D'Addario strings.

Anybody want an old 70's Les Paul? Smile!

Back