PRS SE Standard 24 vs Custom 24, PRS SE line all same quality? Current production (NOT Korea vs Cor-Tek)

alwinvrm

I am beginning to wonder whether the Standards have a few more corners cut or spottier QC than the Customs and if the quality of PRS SE is not constant but gets better when the prices get higher. Why?

I read in reviews regularly that the Custom 24 has better playability and/or is an instrument with a higher quality than the Standard 24. Sometimes I doubt that reviewers ever had the guitar in their hands though.

As far as I know the only difference is that the Custom has a maple cap and veneer.

I see from time to time special very cheap shop offers for the Standard, not so for the Custom, the price difference between the two is then considerable.

I know this has been beaten to death but never saw an answer to this specific question.

eh don’t believe everything you read online. Especially around guitar gear. The amount that people repeat the same stuff that they’ve read is quite incredible. Your question isn’t really answerable without some concrete experience playing at least several well set up Standards and seeing what you think.

If the question though is actually “I want an SE, will a standard satisfy me” I’d be willing to bet that the answer is yes. Ive played probably twenty SEs and they’re all good guitars, ring out clear, feel nice, etc. Any new guitar will have some quirks but most important things are fixable.

Quality is the same throughout all models in a line. Sure individual guitars have there quirks but the quality level is overall the same through the line.

The maple top is the difference between custom and standard.. wherever you read otherwise is a corner on the internet to ignore.

Quality is the same throughout all models in a line. Sure individual guitars have there quirks but the quality level is overall the same through the line.

The maple top is the difference between custom and standard.. wherever you read otherwise is a corner on the internet to ignore.
Thanx a lot., that answers my question.

eh don’t believe everything you read online. Especially around guitar gear. The amount that people repeat the same stuff that they’ve read is quite incredible. Your question isn’t really answerable without some concrete experience playing at least several well set up Standards and seeing what you think.

If the question though is actually “I want an SE, will a standard satisfy me” I’d be willing to bet that the answer is yes. Ive played probably twenty SEs and they’re all good guitars, ring out clear, feel nice, etc. Any new guitar will have some quirks but most important things are fixable.
That's why wrote that I sometimes doubt that 'reviewers' even ever touched the guitar they supposedly reviewed. I asked the question here, hoping that there would some people who did play some well set up Standards and/or Customs. I will be going to another city next week to try the Standard and the Custom, but the collective experience of the forum is highly appreciated since I don't know how many samples I will be able to try and how well set up they are. I tried a Tremonti Standard which seemed nice but the action was high for me. I usually set up guitars at around 1.3 mm at the E and I actually don't even know whether a Standard with the tremolo can handle that. Thanx for your thumbs up on the Standard.

They set them high. First thing I did was lower the string height to the same as my other guitars. Much better-......for me

Back