Best Place to Sell?

gball

Guys, it's been a while since I sold a guitar but I have decided to let my SE-245 go because I just can't seem to bond with it the way I should (Although I LOVE the way it sounds).

What's the best way to sell a guitar these days? Reverb?

Thanks.

Gear Page is great for selling. You'll have to pay to be a supporting member, though, but it's not a bad cost.

I've bought/sold a few small things on Reverb. Their fee is very reasonable. Seems like most of the guitars on there are overpriced, so if you price it right I think it'll sell pretty easily. You just may have to be patient while you wait for a buyer to come around. I plan to try selling a guitar on there pretty soon.

As for me here in Austin, I've always bought and sold Local, Cash Only on Craigslist and have never had any problems at all, and that includes a couple of PRS's I've sold, and bought an incredible 2000 PRS McCarty with an Indian rosewood neck priced way under the going value. But that's just my experience.

Never tried Craigslist, but I do like the idea of selling locally if possible. Perhaps I will start there - gonna figure out what to ask for it. It's got PRS USA pickups and other US parts upgrades. Do you guys think that makes much of a difference for a buyer?

I've been genuinely shocked at how low the re-sale value is on some PRS guitars - a crime! In most instances it looks like you lose 33% of what you paid for it, so if you're buying one for £/$3k then you're set to lose a lot. I regret not buying used (not that I'm going to sell mine, but I could have saved so much money for something else)!

Yeah, that's true. The guitar I have my eye on is a really reasonably priced CE24 at a local dealer. A buddy talked me into giving it a few weeks before I sell the 245 since I have put a lot of money into it on upgrades that I probably won't get anything for in resale, so I am going to change the strings, give it a set up and see if I can feel some mojo and just take the chance that the CE will still be there if I want to do the deal at the end of it.

I've got the chance to get a used CE24 in yellow but I'm gutted it's got fret dots and not bird inlays. VERY good price though.

Back