Best blue-ish/purple-ish colour for a quilted top?

blueenthusiast

Thinking of ordering a guitar in that's in one of the more "modern" colourways but most stock photos are of flame tops. I quite like Northern Lights/Orchid/Lotus glow. Is that because these tops work work worse with quilted ones?

Any other bursty or just two/three tone colourways that you like with quilt?

Unless they have announced it and I wasn't aware, they have stopped making quilts except in private stock. You may find one NOS or a used one... unless you are talking about a PS order. In that case any one of the three will be gorgeous. I like Northern lights.

Also be careful of fading colors. Blue/purple are prime examples of organic dyes that fade fast unless you keep them in cases when not being played. Which takes away part of the beauty of seeing them hung or on a rack. If you keep all of them in cases then this a moot point.

Also be careful of fading colors. Blue/purple are prime examples of organic dyes that fade fast unless you keep them in cases when not being played. Which takes away part of the beauty of seeing them hung or on a rack. If you keep all of them in cases then this a moot point.
I some what disagree with you. I purchased a gorgeous custom aqua blue 10 Top PRS. I took it out of the case twice for less than five minutes from October to the end of December. Two and a half months of being in total darkness. In the case and in the box it came in and the blue had already started fading. It’s more than light exposer. (It was for a Christmas gift)
I get it now that they fade. I spent $4500.00 and had no idea they had this problem and it’s a huge problem. I’m just now getting it back for the second time after having them refinish it to its close to original color. I paid for the beautiful wood grain a extra $1000. 00 but had I had knowledge of the serious fading I would not have made that choice. I would have chosen a less fancy wood and had them paint it a solid aqua blue and been way more satisfied. The company should in all fairness let their customers know of the problem so they can make a informed decision. After getting the guitar back, still not being told it’s going to fade no matter weather it’s left in case or in natural house light not direct sunlight it faded to a really weird grey green in two months. This was after the first color restoration. The guitar itself is beautiful in its own right and plays like no other guitar I know!!!
Just not happy about the fading. Not proud to have people look at ii. They say what happened to it. Not what I wanted to hear after paying $4500.

Oh I’m not disagreeing with your sentiment about fading. I think it is a problem that’s is not divulged during sales. Most dealers and sales reps won’t mention it. They assume you know and it’s general knowledge. Which it is not. And I agree. If I paid that money I would be irate. That’s why i wanted the OP to be aware. It’s hit or miss. Some fade and others look the same 20 years later. It’s all organic dyes and wood. They each are subject individual variation. That’s what makes some sound great while others are mediocre. I dislike that they fade. For others or not a big deal.

I some what disagree with you. I purchased a gorgeous custom aqua blue 10 Top PRS. I took it out of the case twice for less than five minutes from October to the end of December. Two and a half months of being in total darkness. In the case and in the box it came in and the blue had already started fading. It’s more than light exposer. (It was for a Christmas gift)
I get it now that they fade. I spent $4500.00 and had no idea they had this problem and it’s a huge problem. I’m just now getting it back for the second time after having them refinish it to its close to original color. I paid for the beautiful wood grain a extra $1000. 00 but had I had knowledge of the serious fading I would not have made that choice. I would have chosen a less fancy wood and had them paint it a solid aqua blue and been way more satisfied. The company should in all fairness let their customers know of the problem so they can make a informed decision. After getting the guitar back, still not being told it’s going to fade no matter weather it’s left in case or in natural house light not direct sunlight it faded to a really weird grey green in two months. This was after the first color restoration. The guitar itself is beautiful in its own right and plays like no other guitar I know!!!
Just not happy about the fading. Not proud to have people look at ii. They say what happened to it. Not what I wanted to hear after paying $4500.
Truly odd that there was fading with the guitar in the case.

I have two blue/purple PRS'. They're cased when not in use. One is a PS Limited run in Northern Lights, the other is a Special with Artist Pkg. in Aquableux Purple Burst. The Northern Lights PS guitar is 6 years old. I can't see any discernible fading. The Special is about 8 months old. Again, no fading.

Knowing how photosensitive organic blue and purple stains are, I'm pleasantly surprised. I expect that some day there'll be some fading, but maybe I'll be dead by then.

PRS does indeed warn customers about fading in its warranty that expressly excludes fading paint from its guarantee.

On a personal note, blue would have been my last choice in either one of these guitars, but I like the way they sound and play, so I figured WTF, if they fade, so be it.

Sorry to hear, this seems like serious a pigment problem. I wonder if it's down to not enough clear coat?

Photosensitivity isn't about exposure to air, it's exposure to light. So it doesn't matter how thick the clear coat is. If light gets through, it will affect the photosensitive chemicals underneath the clear coat, similar to the way photographic negatives on glass plates were developed in the 19th C.

It should also be mentioned that all organic dyes are somewhat photosensitive, even the ambers, browns and reds (a lot of early Les Pauls had the red burst fade to brown, for example). These dyes fade a little more slowly, but one thing that makes the fading less strange-looking with these colors is that even faded ambers, browns and reds still look pretty good with the natural color of wood, where blue colors look a little strange (to me, anyway).

Truly odd that there was fading with the guitar in the case.

I have two blue/purple PRS'. They're cased when not in use. One is a PS Limited run in Northern Lights, the other is a Special with Artist Pkg. in Aquableux Purple Burst. The Northern Lights PS guitar is 6 years old. I can't see any discernible fading. The Special is about 8 months old. Again, no fading.

Knowing how photosensitive organic blue and purple stains are, I'm pleasantly surprised. I expect that some day there'll be some fading, but maybe I'll be dead by then.

PRS does indeed warn customers about fading in its warranty that expressly excludes fading paint from its guarantee.

On a personal note, blue would have been my last choice in either one of these guitars, but I like the way they sound and play, so I figured WTF, if they fade, so be it.

Photosensitivity isn't about exposure to air, it's exposure to light. So it doesn't matter how thick the clear coat is. If light gets through, it will affect the photosensitive chemicals underneath the clear coat, similar to the way photographic negatives on glass plates were developed in the 19th C.

It should also be mentioned that all organic dyes are somewhat photosensitive, even the ambers, browns and reds (a lot of early Les Pauls had the red burst fade to brown, for example). These dyes fade a little more slowly, but one thing that makes the fading less strange-looking with these colors is that even faded ambers, browns and reds still look pretty good with the natural color of wood, where blue colors look a little strange (to me, anyway).
In all my paperwork I received from the store, which I bought it brand new, no mention of color fade. So not disclosed in all situations.

I believe Northern Lights has been discontinued. Sad - I think it worked out okay on quilt.

ps607903.jpg

As I recall, the reason given for discontinuing was the fading, but like Les, six years old and I don't see any signs of fading.

Also for the post: makena blue looks great on quilt. Although it looks like the new lake blue finish and blue mateo are very close as well.

I believe Northern Lights has been discontinued. Sad - I think it worked out okay on quilt.

ps607903.jpg

As I recall, the reason given for discontinuing was the fading, but like Les, six years old and I don't see any signs of fading.
That's amazing!

In all my paperwork I received from the store, which I bought it brand new, no mention of color fade. So not disclosed in all situations.
I understand what your dealer may or may not have said, but the warranty does come with the guitars, and is available on their website.

Directly Quoted from the PRS Warranty, in pertinent part:

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
  1. Normal “wear and tear,” including but not limited to any discoloration, fading, finish cracking, or damage to the original finish, worn frets, strings, tuners, hardware, and plating (emphasis added).

I understand what your dealer may or may not have said, but the warranty does come with the guitars, and is available on their website.

Directly Quoted from the PRS Warranty, in pertinent part:

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
  1. Normal “wear and tear,” including but not limited to any discoloration, fading, finish cracking, or damage to the original finish, worn frets, strings, tuners, hardware, and plating (emphasis added).
Ok
But stating not responsibl, is not telling you it is going to fade even if it’s not exposed to any type of lighting. Big difference

Ok
But stating not responsibl, is not telling you it is going to fade even if it’s not exposed to any type of lighting. Big difference
See my pic above. Not that it matters; if your experience was different, so be it. I do agree that dealers - who should understand how blue colors are prone to fading - would be well-advised to warn customers about that issue.

Nonetheless, as you cam see above, they don't ALL fade. So some of it might be down to the individual's experience.

This one’s my Aquableux Purple Smokeburst after a few months (only got it late last summer, but so far, no changes):

8f4GKlg.jpg

Back