NGD: 2007 PRS Private Stock 513 in Purple Mist

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
So folks, this is a long post in multiple parts. I hope it makes for an interesting read and a break from the barrage of bad news that the Corona virus has barrelled into our newsfeeds. Hope it's not too self-indulgent. Here goes

Part 1: Self Realization and Put 18 guitars up for sale
Over the past 4 years, my collection ballooned from 10 to 30 electrics, driven by an assignment to Japan. But it struck me a few weeks ago that I primarily played only two sets of guitars, my 594s and my 513s.

Long story short, I decided all I needed were these two sets of guitars (3 513s and 2 594s (+1 in the PS oven) in multiple tunings as suit me. Put everything else up for sale, barring 6 guitars of emotional value including 2 PS Custom 24s I had picked up in Japan, one which had found me against the odds and one that I had travelled cross country for. Oh and I forgot my Modern Eagle 1. Not selling that either.

Good news: Despite the trying times, 2 have sold and another 2 are in talks. I am in no hurry but hopefully in a year or two, the mission will be complete

Part 2: The long awaited thing at work
We work for different reasons, sometimes for self worth more often for cash. Without getting into any details, I was due something last year that didn't happen despite all the work I had put in for years before that and that really bummed me out. Well, the long awaited thing finally happened last month and I really did want something to mark the occasion.

I thought of getting a watch but I realized I measure everything in guitars. In fact I don't think I will ever get anything more expensive than my $500 Tissot as at the back of my mind, I will always think about what guitars I could have gotten instead

So it had to be a guitar

Part 3: A very Specific Need
So it could only be a 594 or 513.

I love my two 513 rosewoods and probably my regular 513 even more. But one thing that has always nagged me is that none of them are really my colour. The Blue Matteo 513 is inice and the two Rosewoods are very classical (Violin, Cherry Burst) colours but I am really much more of a metal/ gothic kind of guy. Black, purple, charcoal, that's more me. Also, I really wanted a crazy quilt top, all my guitars have flame.

Secondly rosewood necks are amazing and mahogany bodies are my go-to zone but I have had a new favourite guitar in the last 5 months. The swamp ash bodied, maple necked, ebony/maple fretboarded 594 Graveyard 2. There is something in those tone woods that just makes the notes bite like nobody's business. I used to struggle to be heard in my 3 guitar band..not anymore.

So the moment the work thing happened, I started browsing for the perfect 513. Specifically a Purple or Charcoal Quilt one. Made of Swamp ash ideally. With a maple neck. And ebony fretboard

Part 4: The perfect guitar
Last Wednesday night, I was browsing but one does more of during these days of work from home though the entire Corona virus thing did not put one in the right state of mind to buy a guitar, let alone an expensive one.

Something prompted me to the Peach guitars website, a wonderful dealer in the UK, who have shipped two beautiful guitars to me in the past. And then I stopped to take a deep breath as a guitar literally jumped out of the page.

Beautiful Charcoalish Gothic finish- Check. And oh my god, it's Purple mist, the Purple that sometimes doesn't look Purple but you forgive it because it looks amazing
Wait a second, does it have an ebony fretboard- Amazing
Maple neck- Wow, this is not happening
And then the killer, Swamp ash- Body:

I turned to my wife. Corona virus, negative sentiments, everything be damned. this was happening

Part 5: The rush before lockdown

Honestly one does not buy guitars of this value every day, and usually every such purchase of mine is preceded by days of intense intellectual agonization. Last Wednesday, the US was just about locking down though the UK was still having music festivals. But going by my experience in Asia, I knew the writing was on the wall. So I emailed the chaps at Peach who were as responsive as ever. 15 minutes later the deal was done. And I hoped it would be mailed before all got locked down.

Part 6: It's here:
Yes it made all the way to Sunny Singapore today, traversing a world that had transformed unrecognizably in the last few days. The timing was perfect too, in between meetings during a long work from home day, so it was all I could do to gobble down lunch in seconds and spring out the pocket knife.

So folks, without further ado, here it is in all it's glory..

2007 PRS Private Stock #1456 513
Quilt Maple top in Purple mist
Swamp ash body, Maple Neck, Ebony fretboard
What I believe is a Wide Fat neck
White gold 513 birds and an breath-taking Etched White Gold Private Stock Eagle

Side note: You have to squint to see the purple in Purple mist. But its very different from charcoal. I don't know how to explain it except that it does look like a mist in the night sky. And changes dramatically with the light.

JPIhIWy.jpg

IrXdtAM.jpg

k8jiSy4.jpg

NxC9Hnh.jpg

0iWIAdc.jpg

Cyq8qc0.jpg

And one with the entire 513 family
b2nOCr2.jpg

Thank you for reading. Please take care everyone:)

Last edited:
Congrats from the 513 brotherhood! That’s a killer guitar. All the more impressive that it is exactly what you were looking for! Sorry to tell you, but the 513 virus is incurable. :)

I did the same repurposing of my guitar inventory, starting a little over a year ago. It’s about done on the guitar side now, but it did add 5 PRS guitars since November, the last one due in tomorrow. If it helps at all, I can tell you I sold a bunch of really good guitars, but I haven’t had a single regret. Not one. Every guitar added is more enjoyable to play than what went out, and I’m actually playing them! I don’t think you’ll have any regrets either. Keep what means something to you, even if they’re not played a lot. Otherwise, get what you’ll play and make some music!

Congrats from the 513 brotherhood! That’s a killer guitar. All the more impressive that it is exactly what you were looking for! Sorry to tell you, but the 513 virus is incurable. :)

I did the same repurposing of my guitar inventory, starting a little over a year ago. It’s about done on the guitar side now, but it did add 5 PRS guitars since November, the last one due in tomorrow. If it helps at all, I can tell you I sold a bunch of really good guitars, but I haven’t had a single regret. Not one. Every guitar added is more enjoyable to play than what went out, and I’m actually playing them! I don’t think you’ll have any regrets either. Keep what means something to you, even if they’re not played a lot. Otherwise, get what you’ll play and make some music!

Thanks. That is encouraging to hear. Most of what will be going are some extremely beautiful Gibsons and Fenders which does make me think twice sometimes. But the reality is that I cannot imagine gigging or jamming with a non PRS anymore..anything else feels like a conscious compromise, whether its the tuning stability, the way the volume and tone pots adjust, how easy they are to play. In a gig, sometimes all you need is a guitar that just works.
And between the 513 and the 594, I believe I have pretty much every sound covered so here goes.

That is the coolest nut ever!! Why have I never noticed one like that before?? Awesome story :cool:
The scalloped nut was used on 513s for a number of years... I’m not sure when it was changed. Both my 07s have it, but I don’t think my 2012 did (sold). As far as I can tell, it changed in 2011 after the 25th Anniversary models, but I’m not 100% on that. I love the look.

Last edited:
Back