Beginner help - SE Custom 24 or CE24

I have an S2 custom 24, and an older ce24. Both fine guitars. My S2 has 85/15 pickups and is a set neck. My CE has 57/08’s and is a bolt on. The S2 weighs less. Both will be back in gig rotation when the madness ends. See if you can get a better price on one vs the other. You can’t miss either way.

Any pros or cons to going to the s2 custom over a ce24

Cheaper than the CE, better quality woods, fretwork, nut, etc than the SE. It pretty much splits the difference between the 2. CE still has better pickups. There's a used S2 CU24 at Dave's for a very nice price that made me think about it.

Any pros or cons to going to the s2 custom over a ce24

I will also say that the CE24 has long been one of my very favorite PRS models, both the older version and the newer. It's a phenomenal guitar, and if it's your first it's a guitar that you could easily keep throughout your entire life as a player, whether you stay in the bedroom or go pro.

Hmmm... Well firstly there’s a reason the CE is more expensive than the SE; it’s a better guitar. But IMO it’s definitely not three times better. Indeed, some of the parts (the bridge/trem and tuners) are the same items on both guitars.

With all due respect, as a new player you’re probably not going to be able to fully appreciate the difference between an SE C24 and a CE24.

Both options are way better than you are (again being pragmatic and not disrespectful) and most importantly neither of them are going to hold you back in your playing. Quite the opposite actually.

Personally, if I was in your shoes and really wanted a PRS I would consider the SE first, then use some of the money you’ve saved on maybe buying an additional new guitar further down the line, something completely different (other brands are available), and maybe a decent amp, effects, strap, tuner etc.

If you can, try to play some of these guitars (and others) before buying. I appreciate that’s not the easiest thing to do right now, depending on where you are.

One other thing, and people on here tend to get a bit upset by this, but try not to get sucked in by the term ‘better’.

For YOUR playing, what makes one pick-up ‘better’ than another one? Same goes for the wood it’s made out of, or the nut...

Just be honest with yourself. If you buy either of these guitars you’ll be a happy bunny.

I would ask this:

Would buying a more expensive guitar make you inclined to practice more? S2.
Or are you someone who feels their skill should be more commensurate with instrument levels? SE.

I have never owned any PRS other than cores. And to this day, I keep pondering adding a CE to my stable. But I am kind of a 22 fret guy so I would have to find an older model to get the ce22. And many of those cost a bit more on the used market. But, if it were me, and I could afford it, I'd go with the ce. With that guitar, even if you are playing the grammys in 10 years, you could use it and it would do exactly what you want it to do. Maybe even more than a core if that ce sound is what you are looking for. BUT, you can't sleep on SEs. For the price, you can't be them.

Just my opinion though.

With all due respect, as a new player you’re probably not going to be able to fully appreciate the difference between an SE C24 and a CE24.
IMO that is incorrect thinking. If you're a 16 year old kid that just got his license, and you have the money, do you forego the Porsche and pick up a Chevy Malibu because you're not good enough yet to drive a Porsche? No, you get the Porsche and learn to drive with a smile on your face. And with guitars you don't have to worry about points on your license.

There are lots of ways to look at a beginner buying gear. My approach is usually to get high-quality stuff. Whether that’s tools, sports equipment, furniture, household things, a spouse... I try to get the best, knowing I’m in it for the long-haul.

I never want to be limited by or frustrated with the quality of what I buy. In my experience, nothing saps joy faster than having equipment issues.

I’m a beginner guitarist. Took it up for the second time a year and a half ago. Bought a very nice used Yamaha guitar. Now that guitar gets played maybe once a month, mostly because it stares at me and wonders why I don’t love it as much as my others. It’s in no way a bad guitar—it just isn’t in the same class as what I’ve bought since. Its ultimate purpose will be as the sacrificial lamb when my wife determines I have too many guitars.

The four US-made (a CE22, Mira, 594, and a Peavey HP Special) get played frequently. I’ll grow into them, and unless my playing takes an unexpected turn I don’t suspect they’ll ever disappoint me. They make me smile, which feels pretty good.

Everyone’s circumstances and philosophies are different. People’s desires are different. At 45, I’m thrilled to have a newish hobby that gets me away from the computer, let’s me explore my creative side, and works my brain differently than my other hobbies. Rain or shine, night or day, I can enjoy it. Totally worth the money and time to get the equipment I want.

There’s a sentimental part to this for me, too. When I was a kid, I read Guitar Player. The PRS guitars in those early 90s adds just spoke to me. Not a lot of advertising kicks in 30 years down the line.

IMO that is incorrect thinking. If you're a 16 year old kid that just got his license, and you have the money, do you forego the Porsche and pick up a Chevy Malibu because you're not good enough yet to drive a Porsche? No, you get the Porsche and learn to drive with a smile on your face. And with guitars you don't have to worry about points on your license.

IMO, that’s an idiotic comparison.

Perhaps the OP should just jump straight to private stock? I mean, why not?

Sure. As long as they can also afford to buy an amp of similar quality, otherwise it’s pointless.
Nah, I don’t agree with that. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of high quality amps. I want to be inspired by the instrument. My first guitar, a Honda II in ‘82 didn’t inspire me to play. My next guitar did. If I were starting today, I would buy the guitar I could afford and a Boss Katana, or Yamaha THX (or something along those lines).

Nah, I don’t agree with that. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of high quality amps. I want to be inspired by the instrument. My first guitar, a Honda II in ‘82 didn’t inspire me to play. My next guitar did. If I were starting today, I would buy the guitar I could afford and a Boss Katana, or Yamaha THX (or something along those lines).

We all want to be inspired by the instrument, don’t we? But the OP is a beginner! Is the SE C24 not going to inspire somebody who hasn’t owned an electric guitar before?!

I think it’s hugely unfair on this person to suggest that they will, in any way at all, be better off spending three times more than they need to in order to become part of the PRS family.

We all want to be inspired by the instrument, don’t we? But the OP is a beginner! Is the SE C24 not going to inspire somebody who hasn’t owned an electric guitar before?!

I think it’s hugely unfair on this person to suggest that they will, in any way at all, be better off spending three times more than they need to in order to become part of the PRS family.
It depends on the person.

For myself, the guitar I started with was uninspiring and frustrating. I made it work for a couple of years until I could get something better. When I did, it became obvious that if I had started with a better quality guitar, I would have advanced my skills very differently and would have been a much better player after 2-24 months playing guitar. By some years later, I appreciated the things the poorer quality guitar forced me to do, but I know many people who would have (or did) set guitar aside because the first one wasn’t good enough for what I wanted to be as a guitarist.

So...I strongly advocate buying the best guitar you can afford to start. I believe that strongly enough that I have given better guitars to people I know wanting to give it an honest shot.

H*ll....my playing STILL is nowhere near the level of my cu22. But, sometimes, you just gotta get what you LIKE. Sometimes, practical is just that, practical. But if you see something that is impractical, but just makes you have that burn in your gut, then you just gotta do it. If it really doesn't make a difference in how much you want it, don't spend the money. But if it does, save up and lay it down. Only the individual knows which way they really want to go. The rest of us are just giving the "if it were me" lip service.

JMO

Don't listen to them! Go with the SE. It's a good and reliable. Relatively inexpensive guitar that will carry you very far. You can grow with it and upgrade it if you see fit. I see no reason to pay four $$$$ when you can get excellent quality in the SE line in $500-800 range. You will never "outgrow"it but if you do, there will be more guitars in the future for you.

The idea that a beginner shouldn’t have nice gear is... foreign to me, to put it kindly.

I tried to buy a Helix from someone last summer. In conversation, I mentioned I’d only been playing for six months. He turned into a jerk really fast, saying he wouldn’t sell it to me. “This is not beginner gear! You have no business owning this unless you’re gigging!” Uh, I’ll find another person to give my money to, space cadet.

Whatever a person wants is what they want. There’s no harm in it.

Everyone has opinions on how others spend their money. Mine is buy the best that you can afford and have no remorse on what could have been. Money is a relevant term to your disposal income. Buy what makes you happy. I don’t think there is a bad decision to be made with either guitar you are looking at. I’ve been playing a little over a year and now have 3 core PRSi and looking at a fourth. Life is short enjoy it with no regrets.

It depends on the person.

For myself, the guitar I started with was uninspiring and frustrating. I made it work for a couple of years until I could get something better. When I did, it became obvious that if I had started with a better quality guitar, I would have advanced my skills very differently and would have been a much better player after 2-24 months playing guitar. By some years later, I appreciated the things the poorer quality guitar forced me to do, but I know many people who would have (or did) set guitar aside because the first one wasn’t good enough for what I wanted to be as a guitarist.

So...I strongly advocate buying the best guitar you can afford to start. I believe that strongly enough that I have given better guitars to people I know wanting to give it an honest shot.

I do agree in principle, but the question is SE C24 vs CE24, not POS vs something amazing. I remember my first guitar too, and it was nowhere near the quality of an SE C24. I wish it had been!

Im pretty sure the likes of Carlos Santana, Mark Tremonti, Zach Myers etc wouldn’t be putting their names on an SE signature model if they weren’t inspiring!!

Back