Beginner help - SE Custom 24 or CE24

lycokayaker

Hey Gang

my first post here so be gentle. I am a total newbie guitar player have a really cheap acoustic that I have been learning the basics on using guitar tricks. Would like to buy an electric and start taking lesson. I choose PRS. I typically have a mentality of buy once cry once. Would I be making a mistake buying a ce24 as my first guitar? I know its no where near the top of the line but would like to start off with something decent. Is it worth for someone beginning to jump up on a super nice guitar or...... Anyways any and all advice is welcome!

Bill

I agree. They are all pretty similar from 2016 and on. Same thin neck profile. I do believe a brand new one has a nitro finish that all the USA ones got after 2020. Lot of bargains to be had for used CE’s. Older ones (pre 2006) are a lot closer to core models but the new CE are great instruments. USA 85/15 is a great modern pickup

Last edited:
I’m surprised at the used prices for CE24s. They seem lower than I would have thought. Used guitars can be a great value.

It’s an odd thing. I don’t care much about a bump on one of my used guitars, but a guitar I bought new? That bothers me. Shouldn’t, but it does.

I agree. They are all pretty similar from 2016 and on. Same thin neck profile. I do believe a brand new one has a nitro finish that all the USA ones got after 2020. Lot of bargains to be had for used CE’s. Older ones (pre 2006) are a lot closer to core models but the new CE are great instruments. USA 85/15 is a great modern pickup

Where are you guys finding these deals? I looked on eBay and reverb and didn’t see much of a discount. Also is there a way to see what year they were made in if I wanted to stay 2016 or newer.

Where are you guys finding these deals? I looked on eBay and reverb and didn’t see much of a discount. Also is there a way to see what year they were made in if I wanted to stay 2016 or newer.

Look at the first 2 digits of the serial number if they show it, that gives the year. You really can't go wrong with a CE, I definitely recommend it.

I don't hunt on Ebay much anymore. Not enough good bargains, nobody knows how to bid so you end up with not much of a savings. There is Offerup too, but you generally wont find much PRS stuff on there and prices are terrible. I hunt Reverb, and Dave's Guitar Store primarily. Generally I will see used CE's around $1400-$1700 most of the time, but once in a while you'll see some for $1300. It's just playing that waiting game until the right one comes along and the stars align. It might take a few months of hunting before you get the price you want. As a matter of fact, Dave's had a $1300 CE pass thru a couple weeks ago. Check that place EVERY DAY.

BTW, pretty much all CE's are great, though yeah pre 2006 ones share many aesthetic similarities to set neck cores, moreso than modern versions. Reverb does categorize by period sometimes, though I don't think you can make it narrow down to specific production years.

I consider $400-500 off a relatively unused sub $2k guitar a decent price break. Especially if it’s in mint condition. As others have said check PRS dealer websites. A lot of them sell some used, although with the pandemic the used inventory is rather slim.

Buy the best guitar you can afford...without going into debt. If it's in your budget to get the CE, do it. If not there is no downside to getting the SE.

My first electric was a barely playable Squire Strat, and I was grateful to have it. When I could afford a good guitar, my first purchase was a core Cu24 Artist Package. From a $150 guitar to a $3500 guitar. Man what a difference! I loved every minute of playing it. And yes, I sucked at playing. Still do. One has nothing to do with the other.

I don't hunt on Ebay much anymore. Not enough good bargains, nobody knows how to bid so you end up with not much of a savings. There is Offerup too, but you generally wont find much PRS stuff on there and prices are terrible. I hunt Reverb, and Dave's Guitar Store primarily. Generally I will see used CE's around $1400-$1700 most of the time, but once in a while you'll see some for $1300. It's just playing that waiting game until the right one comes along and the stars align. It might take a few months of hunting before you get the price you want. As a matter of fact, Dave's had a $1300 CE pass thru a couple weeks ago. Check that place EVERY DAY.

BTW, pretty much all CE's are great, though yeah pre 2006 ones share many aesthetic similarities to set neck cores, moreso than modern versions. Reverb does categorize by period sometimes, though I don't think you can make it narrow down to specific production years.

I usually agree with you on Ebay, though I did just get my Vela Semi-Hollow from Ebay for a really nice price :). I absolutely agree with you on checking Dave's on a daily basis, and hunting Reverb - they're the best places I've found in general to get something nice.

Oh, and to throw another option in there for the OP, you could also consider a used S2 Custom 24....

I consider $400-500 off a relatively unused sub $2k guitar a decent price break. Especially if it’s in mint condition. As others have said check PRS dealer websites. A lot of them sell some used, although with the pandemic the used inventory is rather slim.

I was offered 10% on a new one without even asking for a discount yesterday and by the end of the convo it was 20%. In February I picked up a guitar they ended up discounting almost 25% (after adding 10% repeat customer) for being a model year back (2019 in 2/2021). I'd think with crazy prices on reverb and such these things would not be happening but they are. Pre covid it was almost common place for me. Deals are out there for us with patience and in my case loyalty helped too.

Wo
I was offered 10% on a new one without even asking for a discount yesterday and by the end of the convo it was 20%. In February I picked up a guitar they ended up discounting almost 25% (after adding 10% repeat customer) for being a model year back (2019 in 2/2021). I'd think with crazy prices on reverb and such these things would not be happening but they are. Pre covid it was almost common place for me. Deals are out there for us with patience and in my case loyalty helped too.
wow. That impressive are you doing it over the phone or at the shop? No one around here. By me has ce24s s

Wo

wow. That impressive are you doing it over the phone or at the shop? No one around here. By me has ce24s s

Those two instances were in person, but I've had success over the phone too. Recent over the phone success hasn't been as good as it used to be but still movement.

Watching and hunting the used market has some real deals to be found. I look in lots of places though. I also don't have an issue of making a bit of a drive for the right guitar.

Yeah. Knowing your dealer always helps! Or being a repeat customer is awesome to get your foot in the door for when new releases will happen and wanting some heads up notice. Loyalty discounts are the best!

Back